MBChicago

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S , 2021 Porsche Cayenne
Country flag
Not that this matters if you are using the porsche charging service. However, went to charge up this morning and found out EA is providing complementary sessions today.

Porsche Taycan Free Charging Sessions Today via Electrify America 8E616CB3-A7A4-42C0-B77E-424689C3C0E2
Sponsored

Last edited:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have already seen posts from people saying that plug and charge now works for 2020 models ???.

They are just getting a free session.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Does free charging count for anything if a serious percentage of the chargers are non-functional, or power is limited in more remote locations? This past Thursday I tried to drive from Denver to Kansas City, but got thwarted by Electrify America. Non-functioning chargers and highly impacted speeds in eastern Colorado and western Kansas made it impossible to make the drive, so I turned around. This was after losing my $hit when I maxed out at 34kW in Salina, KS on all 3 working charging cabinets and EA refused to acknowledge there was an issue.

It might be time for Electrify America to put the expansion plans on hold and fix what they have, because service has been severely lacking lately.

OP
OP
MBChicago

MBChicago

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S , 2021 Porsche Cayenne
Country flag
Does free charging count for anything if a serious percentage of the chargers are non-functional, or power is limited in more remote locations? This past Thursday I tried to drive from Denver to Kansas City, but got thwarted by Electrify America. Non-functioning chargers and highly impacted speeds in eastern Colorado and western Kansas made it impossible to make the drive, so I turned around. This was after losing my $hit when I maxed out at 34kW in Salina, KS on all 3 working charging cabinets and EA refused to acknowledge there was an issue.

It might be time for Electrify America to put the expansion plans on hold and fix what they have, because service has been severely lacking lately.
the Chicagoland area is also having the same problems with the EA network as well. In addition, most suburban areas are pushing back on installing chargers so overall the network here is poor.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag

You're the second person to comment on the quality of charger in that part of the world. Another poster tried taking his newly delivered CT4S from Colorado to North Carolina and got stone walled in Eastern Colorado and Kansas. Also having to turn around.

I really hope Elon is true to his word about the Tesla network opening up. I'll still try and stick with the EA chargers given the speed and convenience (sometimes), but at least knowing there's a backup is incredibly helpful on a road trip where often the only option is turning around or finding a L2 charger for the night and resumed the trip the next day.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag

user error?
try using plugshare to locate close by alternatives.
the problem is that EA is just not ready for prime time.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
user error?
try using plugshare to locate close by alternatives.
the problem is that EA is just not ready for prime time.

I sort of feel like the more remote the charger, the less it gets used, and the less likely they are to know an error is happening. EV road trips in non-tesla models are still a pretty rare. When I would road trip a Tesla across Texas or to California, it would be uncommon to not have another Tesla or two using the super chargers, and if there was an issue multiple people could report it. I realize we harp on EA but there are multiple times I would have to change Tesla stalls due to poor charging, and it wasn't a rare event. A super charger in Yuma, Arizona seems to have stalls down every time I've passed through, same in Junction, Texas.

In my Taycan I have never seen another car charging outside of a larger city on a road trip. More often than not, a D-Bag F-150 decides to ICE a 350kW spot depending how close the chargers are to the Walmart entrance. If I look at the Plug Share info for the EA chargers, check ins are months apart, versus days apart on Tesla. Now that more cars that can go the distance and will be on the network are starting to hit the road, I'm sure we see more frequent check ins, and as a result more frequent maintenance on the EA network. I also think a lot of the time, at least with EA, is there are way more hoops to jump through to get a charge going versus the Tesla chargers.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had an EA charging session today and it was capped at 75kw the whole time. It looks like EA is setting a rate limit for the free sessions. The battery was relatively warm and the SoC low and I usually get 100-130kw with these conditions.

So overall we, Taycan owners who already have free charging plans, can be negatively affected by the free-for-all weekends. But the Bolt and e-Golf owners who charged before me were pretty happy.
Sponsored