Front and rear dashcam preparation option

SECRET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I don't see a lot of threads referring to this, but I stopped using Blackvue for some time now. I had their top of the line model (DR900 4K Front 2K Rear) for some time on our family car, and the system always seemed to overheat easily. The mount was also finicky as it would slightly sag as most of the weight of the Blackvue is cantilevered out from the mount location. Lastly, the video is decent but not as good as some other brands out there, and the Blackvue app is kind of garbage.

I ended up moving to Thinkware which was a huge step up. I use the U1000 now on all of the cars in our household, with it hooked up to a battery backup so it can run for nearly 16-24 hrs after being parked. Given the impact to CarPlay, I'll probably do the same on the Taycan as well.
Sponsored

Taycan191

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Mercedes CLS 450 Edition 1, 2Taycan (Ordered)
Country flag
I didn’t think the Porsche dash cam has rear viewing…?
If we didn't get the pre-wire on our Taycan can this still be hardwired? How much is it in the US and how does this camera compare to FitCamX and others?

Taycan191

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Mercedes CLS 450 Edition 1, 2Taycan (Ordered)
Country flag
From reading these forums for a few months, the general consensus seems to be the Porsche dashcam is garbage and obtrusively large. I was going to order it until I read the posts about it and decided to go with a FitCamX which has an OEM look and is powered by the rain sensor behind the mirror. A LOT of people have gone with a BlackVue.
How do you like the FitcamX? Anything you don't like? Did you install it yourself or take it somewhere? Deciding between the FitcamX and the Blackvue 900x-2CH Plus.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
How do you like the FitcamX? Anything you don't like? Did you install it yourself or take it somewhere? Deciding between the FitcamX and the Blackvue 900x-2CH Plus.
Be aware that FitcamX does not have GPS so if you want that functionality you'll need to look elsewhere.

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
My production isn’t scheduled for about another month so I don’t have any hands on experience… just watching a couple videos. Based on the videos, it looks pretty plug/play so I plan to do it myself. I’d consider installing the Blackview myself but haven’t researched it enough. My main concern with is running the cables behind the pilar trim.

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
Be aware that FitcamX does not have GPS so if you want that functionality you'll need to look elsewhere.
This is a great point. I wish it had GPS, speed, and inward facing cam on it but I think front and back will be sufficient.

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Looking into new DC as well, why not the Porsche OEM one as retrofit?
Part number: 9Y0 044 930 A
Porsche Dashcam for the windscreen.

GreenHornet

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4 Mamba Green
Country flag
There is a new partnumber 9Y0044951 where you get front and rear camera installed and it seems like it's only availible if you have the cables preinstalled. I am getting this installed in january.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I just consulted with my dealer for dashcam pre-wire, and they said that the pre-wire is behind the dashboard and requires 7 hours of labor to install. Originally, they told me it is plug and play and now they are backing out of that claim.

Has anyone optioned it and then installed it as plug and play?

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I just consulted with my dealer for dashcam pre-wire, and they said that the pre-wire is behind the dashboard and requires 7 hours of labor to install. Originally, they told me it is plug and play and now they are backing out of that claim.

Has anyone optioned it and then installed it as plug and play?
Was it a technician you spoke to or an SA? If a tech, was he qualified for Taycans? The amount of misinformation that is spread throughout the Porsche service organization is shocking. Even things like 4 wheel alignment, some people report paying $200, others $1,500. When I asked a tech during a "Taycan clinic" he told me a couple of hours at most, but then came back saying they charge for 6hrs. My guess is that some Porsche dealers will charge you the maximum they think they can get away with, and in this case that 7hrs is the max labor cost they are allowed to charge without pre-wire.

For the dashcam prewire it would make no sense to have the pre-wiring to the dashboard since that is not where the dashcam is installed (and what about the back prewiring, is it sill behind the front dashboard?). If prewire you have to wire both cameras to to under the dashboard, and that somehow makes it less work, then without pre-wire that would mean they have to route farther, so where, under the floor?!?

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Was it a technician you spoke to or an SA? If a tech, was he qualified for Taycans? The amount of misinformation that is spread throughout the Porsche service organization is shocking. Even things like 4 wheel alignment, some people report paying $200, others $1,500. When I asked a tech during a "Taycan clinic" he told me a couple of hours at most, but then came back saying they charge for 6hrs. My guess is that some Porsche dealers will charge you the maximum they think they can get away with, and in this case that 7hrs is the max labor cost they are allowed to charge without pre-wire.

For the dashcam prewire it would make no sense to have the pre-wiring to the dashboard since that is not where the dashcam is installed (and what about the back prewiring, is it sill behind the front dashboard?). If prewire you have to wire both cameras to to under the dashboard, and that somehow makes it less work, then without pre-wire that would mean they have to route farther, so where, under the floor?!?
I know my dealer staff very well and I have full trust in them when they tell me something. Originally, I asked them to quote me the dashcam and labor to install. They said that there is no install, it is plug and play (May 2022). Today, I got a call that I have an allocation and I asked my SA to review my build and make sure that we have no surprises, and they will honor all agreements made, with plug and play cam was one of them. Then at the last minute, my trusted SA (who works for the dealer a long time and very passionate Porsche enthusiast who went to the latest Le Mans watching Porsche racing), he told me that he recommends removing that option unless I want to pay for the many hours of labor and I said no, since the OEM cam already far from perfect, so I told him to remove the pre-wire.

This does not mean that this is accurate, although the dealer has certified and dedicated Taycan experts. I can only assume they ran into this issue with a customer and discovered that it is not plug and play.

Therefore, I wonder if anyone on the forum got the pre-wire and then installed the camera in plug and play mode and can share instructions how to do it.

Fall7St8nd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I know my dealer staff very well and I have full trust in them when they tell me something. Originally, I asked them to quote me the dashcam and labor to install. They said that there is no install, it is plug and play (May 2022). Today, I got a call that I have an allocation and I asked my SA to review my build and make sure that we have no surprises, and they will honor all agreements made, with plug and play cam was one of them. Then at the last minute, my trusted SA (who works for the dealer a long time and very passionate Porsche enthusiast who went to the latest Le Mans watching Porsche racing), he told me that he recommends removing that option unless I want to pay for the many hours of labor and I said no, since the OEM cam already far from perfect, so I told him to remove the pre-wire.

This does not mean that this is accurate, although the dealer has certified and dedicated Taycan experts. I can only assume they ran into this issue with a customer and discovered that it is not plug and play.

Therefore, I wonder if anyone on the forum got the pre-wire and then installed the camera in plug and play mode and can share instructions how to do it.
This is definitely one of the bigger unknowns and can't wait to hear from other forum members on their dash cam installation experience (Porsche dash cam or otherwise) using the pre-wiring option.

I've selected the option on my order ($130 experiment) and hope this forum can help bring clarity before my build is delivered.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
he told me that he recommends removing that option unless I want to pay for the many hours of labor
So how many hours of labor they charge to install the Porsche cam with pre-wire, vs. how many hours for the same installation without pre-wire?

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So how many hours of labor they charge to install the Porsche cam with pre-wire, vs. how many hours for the same installation without pre-wire?
I can ask to find out. Good question. However, they may say we are a dealer and we do not do custom wiring work and defer me to a shop that does say audio installs.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can ask to find out. Good question. However, they may say we are a dealer and we do not do custom wiring work and defer me to a shop that does say audio installs.
Do ask. The Porsche dashcam does not require “pre-wire” as it was available before the pre-wire option, therefore it is not custom wiring, it’s installation of OEM equipment.
Sponsored