First Name
Nai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992.1 Turbo S, '20 Taycan Turbo, 997.2 GT3, E39 M5
Country flag
Hi All,

Under maintenance throttle at speeds between 60 MPH and 75 MPH, I'm stating to notice a resonating front axle noise. The noise follows a sin graph where it's frequency goes in and out at a constant rate, ascending and descending in vibration and noise level.

It reminds me of a wheel bearing on its last leg, or a dying hub assembly during cornering loads.

Awkwardly, it feels more noticeable when the suspension is tuned into "Sport," on nearly paved highways, and when the battery is closer to 50% than 85%.

Lastly, it's inconsistent. Some days, it's louder than others. Some days none at all. I can't figure it out.

I suppose this is the price we pay to be pioneers of the first Taycans, but once the noise becomes more common, I'll bring it to the dealer to take a peak. I called my dealer today to see if there were any bulletins / software upgrades and he said no, and that I'm up to date.

Wasn't sure if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks,

Nai
2020 Taycan Turbo (Delivered 3/20)
Sponsored

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Hi All,

Under maintenance throttle at speeds between 60 MPH and 75 MPH, I'm stating to notice a resonating front axle noise. The noise follows a sin graph where it's frequency goes in and out at a constant rate, ascending and descending in vibration and noise level.

It reminds me of a wheel bearing on its last leg, or a dying hub assembly during cornering loads.

Awkwardly, it feels more noticeable when the suspension is tuned into "Sport," on nearly paved highways, and when the battery is closer to 50% than 85%.

Lastly, it's inconsistent. Some days, it's louder than others. Some days none at all. I can't figure it out.

I suppose this is the price we pay to be pioneers of the first Taycans, but once the noise becomes more common, I'll bring it to the dealer to take a peak. I called my dealer today to see if there were any bulletins / software upgrades and he said no, and that I'm up to date.

Thanks,

Nai
This noise may be caused by the front and rea motors being slightly our of sync (wheel and tire size or inflation differences).. It might be similar to the noise between twin engine airplane propellers - you can carefully adjust one engine's speed to cancel the noise of both propellers or let them be slightly out of sync and annoy you to death. My first trial fix would be to perfectly adjust tire pressure and test.
Drive faster and you will not notice it!

OP
OP
NaiM5

NaiM5

First Name
Nai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This noise may be caused by the front and rea motors being slightly our of sync (wheel and tire size or inflation differences).. It might be similar to the noise between twin engine airplane propellers - you can carefully adjust one engine's speed to cancel the noise of both propellers or let them be slightly out of sync and annoy you to death. My first trial fix would be to perfectly adjust tire pressure and test.
Drive faster and you will not notice it!
Bill, love the multi-engine analogy as I'm a SEL Cirrus pilot myself! Thanks for the tip. I checked my TPMs and found the largest delta between all four tires to be 2 PSI.

I reset all PSI to 38 (cold) per the manual for partial load and 21-inch all-season tires (I have the MissionE wheels). The noise is still there, but not as noticeable.

I'll keep monitoring, as the noise/vibration is inconsistent.

Thanks for the thought process!

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Do you have lane keep assist and is it on...... it makes a vibration and noice when it gets to close to the lines..... I thought I had a problem with a bearing..... but when I turned off the lane keep assist the noice disappeared and realized it was that.......

OP
OP
NaiM5

NaiM5

First Name
Nai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you have lane keep assist and is it on...... it makes a vibration and noice when it gets to close to the lines..... I thought I had a problem with a bearing..... but when I turned off the lane keep assist the noice disappeared and realized it was that.......
Thanks Felixtb. Unfortunately my NVH is occurring with lane keep assist off. I think LKA is a great tool, except here in New England where every road is lined in potholes.
Sometimes I find the system pushing me back into a pot hole, which I would rather not hit, so I turn the system off and cheat the lane to avoid hitting pot holes.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Thanks Felixtb. Unfortunately my NVH is occurring with lane keep assist off. I think LKA is a great tool, except here in New England where every road is lined in potholes.
Sometimes I find the system pushing me back into a pot hole, which I would rather not hit, so I turn the system off and cheat the lane to avoid hitting pot holes.
Just a possible explanation. I actually hate LKA since it does give you these very bizarre warnings when you are on a two lane highway and cross the center in corners and suddenly you think you have a bad bearing or a loose wheel...... so always keep it off :) (forgot to take it out of my config :CWL:)

davidh

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T S
Country flag
Hi All,

Thanks,

Nai
Nai , I posted this, does it sound similar?
Hi All,

Thanks,

Nai
Nai, I posted below is it similar to your issue?
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/steering-wheel-vibration.3042/
Hi All,

Th

Nai
Hi All,

Thanks,

Nai
Hi All,

Thanks,

Nai

Nai, I posted this does it sound similiar https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/steering-wheel-vibration.3042/

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have a rhythmic humming from front motor when in Range Mode. It is most noticeable between 38 and 42 MPH. My dealer says it is normal for 4 S. Their demo Turbo S doesn't make the noise but has a different inverter. My car has stock 19 wheels with all season tires.

Last edited:

davidh

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T S
Country flag
I have a rhythmic humming from front motor when in Range Mode. It is most noticeable between 38 and 42 MPH. My dealer says it is normal for 4 S. Their demo Turbo S doesn't make the noise but has a different inverter.
Ok on my vehicle, it does not sound like a humming noise so probably different to your issue. Thanks

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
You may want to check under the hood. Both the long, thin, black plastic part aligned to the outer metal part over the wheel and the "boxy", black plastic part connected to the bonnet can get loose and vibrate. I had it reproducibly at 150+km/h, it can be very annoying... and it can be at least partially fixed with tape :like:!

Porsche Taycan Front Axle Resonating Noise on Highway - Maintenance Throttle PorscheT4S_MoeglicherweiseKlapperndesTeil

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Thanks. Those pieces on my car appear to be tightly fastened.

Mad Pat 66

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi All,

Thanks,

Nai
I have an 8 month old 4S and have a similar resonating noise which only comes on at higher speeds and immediately stops if you take your foot off the accelerator. It does resemble the sound a worn wheel bearing would make. Porsche said they can’t test it because it comes on in excess of 70mph, or is more prominent then.

Mad Pat 66

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi All,

Thanks,

Nai
I had exactly this issue and at the same speeds; after weeks of investigation by Porsche and me telling them it wasn’t a wheel bearing, as it stopped when accelerator released, they decided to change the wheel bearing. ?
I returned the car immediately and eventually they listened to me telling them it sounded like a bearing had gone on the front motor, they put chassis microphones on the car and hey presto they confirmed my suspicions.
It took nearly 4 days of labour to change it, but the noise has gone.
Sponsored