Front fender vents

Taycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ex 964 C4,
Country flag
Having driven the Turbo and 4S models and viewed the Turbo S I noticed that on the 4S model the front fender vents in front of the front doors are blocked. On the Turbo and the Turbo S these vents are open and you can view the front tire through the vents when standing behind the front door.

So, I´m wondering does anyone know why these vents are blocked off on the 4S models?
Sponsored

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
To the best of my knowledge vents are the same on all models. They open an close depending upon what the car needs.

OP
OP
Taycan4S

Taycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ex 964 C4,
Country flag
I guess you mean the front bumper vents. I’m talking about the front fender vents, pointing towards the front doors. On 4S these are blocked with black plastic. On the Turbo models there is an air channel venting air from the front tire back past the front doors.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh, you mean these?
Porsche Taycan Front fender vents 1582135305087

Huh, I figured those would be the same. I'll be a little sad if the 4S is different. I wonder why they'd do that.

OP
OP
Taycan4S

Taycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ex 964 C4,
Country flag
Those are the ones, thanx. I have only seen demo cars, not customer cars but I’m guessing this is the same for customer cars

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Those are the ones, thanx. I have only seen demo cars, not customer cars but I’m guessing this is the same for customer cars
@HK111

hi, is that the case for customer cars? Is that bent in the picture blocked? Doesn’t make sense that they would block it since the aerodynamics would be different for no reason.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Did the 4S have power charge port doors? I was told that the power charge port door motor blocks this vent. If you do not get the power charge port doors, then the vent is open. In fact, this aspect of the power charge port door motor is responsible for the reduction in the Cd figures (0.22 vs. 0.25). See the body construction section of the article below:

https://www.excellence-mag.com/issues/269/articles/all-electric-taycan-tech

I am only repeating what I read here. Makes some sense, but I would love some verification from the people who do not have power charge port doors.

ThomasDK

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I3
Country flag
15.48 fake went on a 4s with Auto charge door!

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Did the 4S have power charge port doors? I was told that the power charge port door motor blocks this vent. If you do not get the power charge port doors, then the vent is open. In fact, this aspect of the power charge port door motor is responsible for the reduction in the Cd figures (0.22 vs. 0.25). See the body construction section of the article below:

https://www.excellence-mag.com/issues/269/articles/all-electric-taycan-tech

I am only repeating what I read here. Makes some sense, but I would love some verification from the people who do not have power charge port doors.
I thought I had read that the Mission E wheels are the primary contributor to the Cd increase, and the Porsche UK range estimator seems to confirm this. Compare the 4S, Turbo, and Turbo S with default settings EXCEPT include the Performance Battery+ option on the 4S and select the Mission E wheels on all three models: the range is estimated at 209 miles, 206 miles, and 205 miles respectively (perhaps differing only because of the higher weight of the Turbo and Turbo S). The power charge port door is not included in the 4S default configuration but is included in both the Turbo and Turbo S (at least according to the image), yet the estimated range differs by a maximum of four miles. Now compare that to the range difference when selecting the 20" Turbo Aero wheels on the 4S and Turbo (not selectable on the Turbo S): range jumps to 221 miles and 216 miles, respectively (be sure to keep selecting the Performance Battery+ option on the 4S to make a more valid comparison).
Link to Porsche UK range estimator (scroll down to + Explore Charging button): https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/taycan/taycan-models/taycan-4s/

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@ThomasDK he says they are fake, but that is a HUGE pole. *shrug*

Good observation @KensingtonPark. I guess that is a good reason to require it blocked off.

ThomasDK

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I3
Country flag
Hopefully someone with a car or close to a dealer can solve this new question. I ordered a 4s and would hate if the vent is closed :-(

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hopefully someone with a car or close to a dealer can solve this new question. I ordered a 4s and would hate if the vent is closed :-(
TBH, it seems crazy this would be the case as the door retracts upwards into the body. I saw a Turbo without the powered doors and never thought to look as I never would have imagined they would block that highly publicized aerodynamic feature.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That video seems to indicate it closed, although I couldn't quite make out all the words.
I saw that video @ThomasDK as well when it first came out but then I also saw may Porsche videos saying that they do nothing for looks alone.
When I peered into the fender vents I saw a honeycomb plastic insert with holes, I assumed to keep animals or debris from getting in when the car is parked. I will try to get a better look next time. But many Taycan owners on the forum.

OP
OP
Taycan4S

Taycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ex 964 C4,
Country flag
I actually kind of think the vents are blocked on cars with motorized charge ports as mentioned above. The Turbo I tested with the open vents there was the manual charge port. The 4S with the blocked ports had motorized charge ports.
Sponsored