Front tire wear

ImThestig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Just got a flat front Tyre warning, got out of the car to check it out. And found out both of my front tyres are completely wear down on just inside of the "shoulders". Any one had similar experience? 15000 km and goodyear eagle f1 tyres.
Porsche Taycan Front tire wear 5036AC37-E5AF-4AEB-A082-A73DD06B71E9
Porsche Taycan Front tire wear 26F6135A-E22F-4188-92BD-A8C38D70E183
Porsche Taycan Front tire wear AA9DA183-5CE1-48A5-8861-D2122AD326D0

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
Same on my Taycan Turbo after the same milage, same brand of tyre..

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have more than 24000 km on my Turbo 21 inch. And there is plenty of life in them. Done a lot of motorway speed driving as well as mountain roads through Italy and Switzerland.

Perhaps you have an alignment issue??

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
I have more than 24000 km on my Turbo 21 inch. And there is plenty of life in them. Done a lot of motorway speed driving as well as mountain roads through Italy and Switzerland.

That is good durability - Which Tyres Scandi?

cheers

OP
OP

ImThestig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag

I think so too. I'm waiting for Porsche to give me an answer on this case. Just want to see if you guys have the same problem. I checked my friends car with the same spec and same milage and he doesn't have this at all

Porsche Taycan Front tire wear C55FDE23-4005-4400-94EB-BE5BA36395A0

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wear like that looks like a toe alignment issue to me. If it indeed an alignment issue, then they can readjust it for you with minimal effort. From the image, the wear rate at the 2 wear bars in the center of the tire looks even, and it looks like you drive the car aggressive enough to also be using the outside shoulders so the amount of camber you have looks right for your style of driving. This basically leaves it down to Toe settings or maybe a even a tire defect since I'm not seeing any signs which I would consider as underinflation.

For those unfamiliar, toe refers to the angle which you tires are pointed. Toe in means that the the tire is angled to point toward the middle which is good for stability. Toe out means it's pointed outward which is better for agilities (quicker initial turn in, but the car can feel twitchy). Camber refers to how slanted the tire is. Positive camber is where the top of tire further out. Negative is the opposite. Typically you want about a -1 negative for normal driving. The more aggressive (speed that you typically to you corners) your driving is, the more negative camber you have. So if you have much toe in or toe out, this means that when you're driving straight, your tire is actually being scrubbed away more aggressive since the tire isn't rolling in the same direction of travel.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ImThestig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Wear like that looks like a toe alignment issue to me. If it indeed an alignment issue, then they can readjust it for you with minimal effort. From the image, the wear rate at the 2 wear bars in the center of the tire looks even, and it looks like you drive the aggressive enough to also be using the outside shoulders so the amount of camber you have looks right for your style of driving. This basically leaves it down to Toe setting so maybe a even a tire defect since I'm not seeing any signs which I would consider as underinflation.

For those unfamiliar, toe refers to the angle which you tires are pointed. Toe in means that the the tire is angled to point toward the middle which is good for stability. Toe out means it's pointed outward which is better for agilities (quicker initial turn in, but the car can feel twitchy). Camber refers to how slanted the tire is. Positive camber is where the top of tire further out. Negative is the opposite. Typically you want about a -1 negative for normal driving. The more aggressive (speed that you typically to you corners) your driving is, the more negative camber you have. So if you have much toe in or toe out, this means that when you're driving straight, your tire is actually being scrubbed away more aggressive since the tire isn't rolling in the same direction of travel.
The car has been at the service for two weeks now, they still haven't touched it. I also think it's toe alignment, so we will see what they will give me for an answer. This should be cover by warranty

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
Glad you shared this. I've been monitoring the tread wear on my Pirelli's. Down to about 4/32" fronts and 6/32" rears at 9,000 miles. But upon closer inspection the front tires are wearing on the inside shoulder as well.
Porsche Taycan Front tire wear InkedPirelli front

Last edited:
OP
OP

ImThestig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Glad you shared this. I've been monitoring the tread wear on my Pirelli's. Down to about 4/32" at 9,000 miles. But upon closer inspection these are wearing on the inside shoulder as well.
InkedPirelli front.jpg
What kind of tires and wheels do you have? I can see you have the exact same problem!

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
21" Mission E wheels with OE Pirelli summer tires

OP
OP

ImThestig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
21" Mission E wheels with OE Pirelli summer tires
So it can't be the tires, I got goodyear with same problem. I'm looking forward to see what respond i will get from Porsche on this

OP
OP

ImThestig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Just got a answer from Porsche Ryen "oslo" they denied my request for warranty. Because my wheels got scratches on the inside, they will not do an 4 wheel alignment. Lesson learned, Porsche warranty isn't worth a damn thing. They wanted 7000 dollar for 4 new tires and 4 wheel alignment. Fuck this, I'm changing brand. I will get rid of this car and buy myself the new Mercedes eqs

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Just got a answer from Porsche Ryen "oslo" they denied my request for warranty. Because my wheels got scratches on the inside, they will not do an 4 wheel alignment. Lesson learned, Porsche warranty isn't worth a damn thing. They wanted 7000 dollar for 4 new tires and 4 wheel alignment. Fuck this, I'm changing brand. I will get rid of this car and buy myself the new Mercedes eqs
I can understand your frustration, but I am confused about the scratches. Have you damaged your alu wheels on the inside on the front? 7000 dollars seems a very high price. Normally a wheel repair can be a couple of hundred dollars and tyres should not be more than 400 -500 each (even less I think).

What exactly have they proposed?

OP
OP

ImThestig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I can understand your frustration, but I am confused about the scratches. Have you damaged your alu wheels on the inside on the front? 7000 dollars seems a very high price. Normally a wheel repair can be a couple of hundred dollars and tyres should not be more than 400 -500 each (even less I think).

What exactly have they proposed?
I washed my car in a moving car wash "convoy belts" so got some clean scratches around the rims on the inside, but nothing even close to the tires. They are just trying to avoid to pay anything. The 4 wheels alignments needs 4 new tires so that's around 2500 dollar and the alignment need to take of the front bumper to get it done. So all in all around 7000 dollar.
Sponsored