Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
So I learned that a timed charging program on my wall mounted level 2 charger & a time charging program in the car, do NOT PLAY WELL together.

Porsche Taycan Fun with timed charging programs... received_153929216949970

Since the programming of timed charging on the Taycan is a convoluted mess using customized charging profiles & a separate timer feature. until I figured out how to do that I was using the programmable function on my Wallbox lvl 2 charger to start charging at night once plugged in.

Porsche Taycan Fun with timed charging programs... received_244828561083868

I spent some time on the Taycan forums puzzling out how to set the cars customized charging profiles (way more complex than it needs to be) and once I set that up I forgot about my Wallbox timed program. So once I plugged in the car I get an angry red ring of death followed by this error msg

Porsche Taycan Fun with timed charging programs... received_928082811160105

After panicking for a bit that I already broke something on the car, after some pointless troubleshooting I realized the timed program on the wall charger, not due to provide charge until 10pm, basically looked like a 'broken charger' to the car (while it had its own timed program activated) when they tried to communicate. I quickly disabled the time program on the Wallbox and then voila, the car is now in 'timed program charging' mode:

Porsche Taycan Fun with timed charging programs... received_1080005889457941

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Since the programming of timed charging on the Taycan is a convoluted mess using customized charging profiles & a separate timer feature.
It’s not that difficult. What are you trying to do?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So I learned that a timed charging program on my wall mounted level 2 charger & a time charging program in the car, do NOT PLAY WELL together.

received_153929216949970.jpeg

Since the programming of timed charging on the Taycan is a convoluted mess using customized charging profiles & a separate timer feature. until I figured out how to do that I was using the programmable function on my Wallbox lvl 2 charger to start charging at night once plugged in.

received_244828561083868.jpeg

I spent some time on the Taycan forums puzzling out how to set the cars customized charging profiles (way more complex than it needs to be) and once I set that up I forgot about my Wallbox timed program. So once I plugged in the car I get an angry red ring of death followed by this error msg

received_928082811160105.jpeg

After panicking for a bit that I already broke something on the car, after some pointless troubleshooting I realized the timed program on the wall charger, not due to provide charge until 10pm, basically looked like a 'broken charger' to the car (while it had its own timed program activated) when they tried to communicate. I quickly disabled the time program on the Wallbox and then voila, the car is now in 'timed program charging' mode:

received_1080005889457941.jpeg
Don't mix and match - either use the Porsche provided timer and profiles (easy to use and lots of advice / experience on the forum) or your EVSE app.

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
It’s not that difficult. What are you trying to do?
As a Tesla owner for the past couple years, I find the programming setup for the Taycan incredibly convoluted and non intuitive.

Also while the Tesla easily let's you set the charging limit on the main screen with a slider bar, this will limit max charging no matter where you plug in, I feel this is not the case on the Taycan where the charge limit can only be set with a Timer program.

Also while both the Tesla and Taycan support programmed Departure timing, the Tesla also supports programmed Start charging time which let's me program charging to initiate at 10pm on the dot and it finishes when it hits the max charge limit no matter what time it is, which is my preferred method of charging.

This seems to be something the Taycan's charge programming lacks ??

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
As a Tesla owner for the past couple years, I find the programming setup for the Taycan incredibly convoluted and non intuitive.

Also while the Tesla easily let's you set the charging limit on the main screen with a slider bar, this will limit max charging no matter where you plug in, I feel this is not the case on the Taycan where the charge limit can only be set with a Timer program.

Also while both the Tesla and Taycan support programmed Departure timing, the Tesla also supports programmed Start charging time which let's me program charging to initiate at 10pm on the dot and it finishes when it hits the max charge limit no matter what time it is, which is my preferred method of charging.

This seems to be something the Taycan's charge programming lacks ??
All of this is achievable with Porsche. Read up on Timers and Profiles then trial them out yourself. There are copious notes on this topic on this forum from myself and other experienced users.

First pass through it may feel confusing but once you grasp it there is really no challenge.

For AC charging only:

- Immediate start - yes (Profile)
- Controlled start / end - yes (Profile)

So you can set: if the battery is < 25% charge (minimum charge level) immediately anywhere up to 100% (Target Charge) or if the battery is > 25% and a Target charge of 85% is set charge won't occur until the preferred charging times (Profile) are reached.

Inclusion of a Timer will enable you to conclude the precise end time (to prevent over charging etc) amongst other things.

Most things can always be done better but persevere with this. Useful video guide on Porsche Good to Know App if you've not already viewed it.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I feel this is not the case on the Taycan where the charge limit can only be set with a Timer program.
Depends on use case. Can also be done with a profile if you don’t need time of use. This is how I charge.

This seems to be something the Taycan's charge programming lacks
That’s correct. You can’t do that with the Taycan. The Taycan works backwards from a departure time with a timer. There is no way to set a max charge and a guaranteed start time. You can set start time with the profile and preferred times, but they’re just “preferred”, not guaranteed. A timer can cause it to start before the preferred start time if needed.

But that’s a missing feature. It doesn’t mean the current setup is difficult. Just that it isn’t setup to do what you want.

I refuse to concede that the setup is difficult on the grounds that there just aren’t enough options to make it so.

There’s just:
  1. Are you using a profile?
    1. What’s the minimum charge?
    2. Are you using preferred times?
      1. What are the times?
  2. Are you using a timer?
    1. What is the target charge?
    2. What is the departure time?
    3. Do you want it to repeat?
And while that may be more than Tesla (I wouldn’t know; I’ve never used it), it’s just not enough combinations of choices to conclude that it’s a “convoluted mess”.
Sponsored

Last edited: