Funny little things that drive me crazy | diva safe zone

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
You don't use the under car 'kick'?

I remember thinking I will almost certainly never use this feature when first spec'ing the car as it seemed naff and never had it on any other vehicle but have to say that I now almost always open the rear hatch with this method - no need to locate that button!

And before others comment I have literally had 100% success rate in initiating the opening this way too - rock solid :)
Not for me. Hit and miss with the kick, and then there is the shoes getting dirty with mud/snow, stopped using it completely.
Sponsored

RobToTheT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 e63s Longroof, 2012 911 GTS
Country flag
For me it is the weird computer override moments - like when I pull into the garage, it's a narrow space, but for whatever reason when I take it slow and I get literally half way in, the car constantly locks the brakes on me and then you have to literally kick the accelerator to unlock it and get moving again. what's the point of that? if it was narrow when i started pulling in, why brake at the halfway point and then for me me to accelerate halfway into the garage to move again?

That and I am resetting the digital dashboard every other week because it blacks out.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
You don't use the under car 'kick'?
I don't.. haven't enabled 'enhanced'/advanced comfort entry, after reading some reports here of ghost/spontaneous unlocking. And frankly, I forgot about its existence - most times I have a hand free to operate the button, and I formed _that_ habit. On the Macan it's cleverly integrated into the wiper arm, so I could find it even in pitch dark.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
For me it is the weird computer override moments - like when I pull into the garage, it's a narrow space, but for whatever reason when I take it slow and I get literally half way in, the car constantly locks the brakes on me and then you have to literally kick the accelerator to unlock it and get moving again.
Are you backing out into an inclined plane? Maybe the 'hold' functionality kicks in. If it's not that, it's probably the 'imminent collision' detection and reaction.

RobToTheT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you backing out into an inclined plane? Maybe the 'hold' functionality kicks in. If it's not that, it's probably the 'imminent collision' detection and reaction.
Pulling straight in. I think it is the collision system as well. Just odd that it happens when I am halfway through the garage opening - unless it is reacting to the garage wall ten feet in front of me vs the narrow width...? But that can't be as i'd be screaming to a stop every time i approached a traffic light.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Pulling straight in. I think it is the collision system as well. Just odd that it happens when I am halfway through the garage opening - unless it is reacting to the garage wall ten feet in front of me vs the narrow width...? But that can't be as i'd be screaming to a stop every time i approached a traffic light.
From what I gather, the collision detection is based on camera/image analysis, rather than radar/parking sensors. It may be that the lighting and shadows in your particular environment are tripping the detection algorithm and causes it to evaluate depth incorrectly.

As an example, I was driving in traffic yesterday, approaching a stoplight with stationary cars. Was already covering the brake pedal while coasting 'into' the car in front, when their brake lights went on. The car instantly threw a chime and a 'collision warning' sign in tube 1 as I started braking, so I assumed the changes in luminance of the image it captured (the brake lights) caused it to reassess the depth or the speed of the obstacle in front. (It didn't auto brake for me, but the sign was novel).

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I have problems backing out of my garage. The system will sometimes jam on the brakes so hard that I have to reinsert my kidneys before continuing on my day. Now, I just turn off the back up camera screen until I am out of the garage, then I put the car in park and then back to reverse so that I reactivate all of the systems.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For me it is the weird computer override moments - like when I pull into the garage, it's a narrow space, but for whatever reason when I take it slow and I get literally half way in, the car constantly locks the brakes on me and then you have to literally kick the accelerator to unlock it and get moving again. what's the point of that? if it was narrow when i started pulling in, why brake at the halfway point and then for me me to accelerate halfway into the garage to move again?

That and I am resetting the digital dashboard every other week because it blacks out.
I have problems backing out of my garage. The system will sometimes jam on the brakes so hard that I have to reinsert my kidneys before continuing on my day. Now, I just turn off the back up camera screen until I am out of the garage, then I put the car in park and then back to reverse so that I reactivate all of the systems.
You can disable the automatic braking for obstacles while parking. I pull in real close in my garage so I have to disable it or the car keeps on stopping itself multiple times, and the way to release is it to press on the accelerator a little harder, which with a performance EV and being only inches from obstacles, is probably not advisable). You can also put it in drive and back in reverse, or park and back (in a Tesla, in addition to pressing the accelerator, you can also release hold by pressing the brake again, I wish Taycan did that too).
Porsche Taycan Funny little things that drive me crazy | diva safe zone 1679135995645
Porsche Taycan Funny little things that drive me crazy | diva safe zone 1679136606928

The button for it is on the camera screen (see above picture), the one right under the button which mutes all the park assist beeping. On way out of the garage, the system starts with it disabled for me, not sure if it’s because I had it disabled when pulling in, or because the car powered up touching the wall as far it is concerned (makes for some mildly amusing collection of warning sounds).

Last edited:

RobToTheT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can disable the automatic braking for obstacles while parking. I pull in real close in my garage so I have to disable it or the car keeps on stopping the car multiple times, and the way to release is it to press on the accelerator a little harder, which with a performance EV and being only inches from obstacles, is probably not advisable). You can also put it in drive and back in reverse, or park and back (in a Tesla, in addition to pressing the accelerator, you can also release hold by pressing the brake again, I wish Taycan did that too).
1679135995645.png
1679136606928.png

The button for it is on the camera screen (see above picture), the one right under the button which mutes all the park assist beeping. On way out of the garage, the system starts with it disabled for me, not sure if it’s because I had it disabled when pulling in, or because the car powered up touching the wall as far it is concerned (makes for some mildly amusing collection of warning sounds).
Thanks for that!

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is irksome that changing drive mode (e.g., from normal to individual) overrides memory lift.

I have lift in memory for my parking garage at work. When I enter my car at the end of the day, I see the car properly lifted (e.g., lift symbol illuminated in blue), but as soon as I rotate the dial on my steering wheel to Individual drive mode, the car lowers (and does not lift automatically again based on stored location). It is as if changing drive mode overrides lift without regard to lift being saved for that location. I have to lift again, every day, and each time I get asked whether I want to save the location. 😖

Lift and saved lift locations should be absolutely independent from drive mode. If I want to override a saved lift location, I can hit the lift button.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is irksome that changing drive mode (e.g., from normal to individual) overrides memory lift.

I have lift in memory for my parking garage at work. When I enter my car at the end of the day, I see the car properly lifted (e.g., lift symbol illuminated in blue), but as soon as I rotate the dial on my steering wheel to Individual drive mode, the car lowers (and does not lift automatically again based on stored location). It is as if changing drive mode overrides lift without regard to lift being saved for that location. I have to lift again, every day, and each time I get asked whether I want to save the location. 😖

Lift and saved lift locations should be absolutely independent from drive mode. If I want to override a saved lift location, I can hit the lift button.
I noticed that too, though I never correlated the loss of lift location with a drive mode switch but thinking back on it you are right! I just thought it was Porsche software losing the lift locations randomly. So I guess it’s not badly implemented software, but badly designed (or not designed at all) software UX.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I have lift in memory for my parking garage at work. When I enter my car at the end of the day, I see the car properly lifted (e.g., lift symbol illuminated in blue), but as soon as I rotate the dial on my steering wheel to Individual drive mode, the car lowers (and does not lift automatically again based on stored location). It is as if changing drive mode overrides lift without regard to lift being saved for that location.
Was the lift location saved while in the individual mode?

Lift and saved lift locations should be absolutely independent from drive mode.
The 'drive mode' includes suspension settings, so I don't quite agree with the 'absolute' aspect of your assertion - maybe as a personal preference. After all, a mode change is an explicit user action (as in overriding any other current settings): sport+ should mean exactly that, and not "almost S+, except at this location where you lifted 3 months ago".

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Was the lift location saved while in the individual mode?

The 'drive mode' includes suspension settings, so I don't quite agree with the 'absolute' aspect of your assertion - maybe as a personal preference. After all, a mode change is an explicit user action (as in overriding any other current settings): sport+ should mean exactly that, and not "almost S+, except at this location where you lifted 3 months ago".
Yes, I always drive in individual mode, so the lift was saved while driving in individual mode.

As we all know, for some inexplicable reason, the car always defaults to "normal" mode when you turn it on, which makes no sense to me as I would prefer it to remain in the same mode it was in when the car was turned off. It is annoying (again, we are in a safe zone here as it is not a big deal of course) to have to adjust driving mode each and every time that you enter the car.

I stick by my assertion that there should be zero connection between memory lift and drive mode. Memory lift is, by its very nature, designed to allow drivers to remember specific bumps, ramps or other obstacles. These bumps, ramps or other obstacles that are saved in memory lift will always be there regardless of selected drive mode, so it makes no sense to have to save them again independently for each drive mode or have the memory lift lowered merely because you change drive mode. By contrast, temporary obstacles are not typically saved in memory lift. In short, if there is a bump and I save it to memory lift, my car should lift in every drive mode and despite changing drive modes.

When I approach my office in the mornings (driving in individual drive mode), the car correctly remembers the memory lift and lifts the car. The car remains lifted when I park and even when I turn the car off. At the end of the day when I return to the car, the car remains lifted. If I were to drive off in "normal" mode, the car would remain lifted. However, the minute I change to "individual" mode, the car lowers (you can see the symbol flashing), which means I need to hit lift again, at which point I get asked, again, whether I want to save the location. :rolleyes:

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
As we all know, for some inexplicable reason, the car always defaults to "normal" mode when you turn it on, which makes no sense to me as I would prefer it to remain in the same mode it was in when the car was turned off. It is annoying (again, we are in a safe zone here as it is not a big deal of course) to have to adjust driving mode each and every time that you enter the car.
I believe it has to default to "normal" mode on startup because that's the mode that's used to gather WLTP data. But yes, I agree it can be annoying (e.g. I reactivate regen every time).

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The 'drive mode' includes suspension settings, so I don't quite agree with the 'absolute' aspect of your assertion - maybe as a personal preference. After all, a mode change is an explicit user action (as in overriding any other current settings)
I agree with that. If I set the wheel to a mode, I want to put everything that mode sets up into effect.

If I need lift coming from a certain location, I will only turn the wheel once the situation is over.
Sponsored