magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I just reread the manual and it is pathetic. Sad that you can learn more from forum members and Porsche whisperer videos than from the d@mned manual.
Totally. I found it hard to even find and distinguish the sections that only pertain to when you have specced only the Surround View but not the Remote Parking Assistant (which I don't have), and what's left was next to useless.
Sponsored

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Totally. I found it hard to even find and distinguish the sections that only pertain to when you have specced only the Surround View but not the Remote Parking Assistant (which I don't have), and what's left was next to useless.
Ok, so this little video shows the swiveling and how I can turn it off. Notice the plate rotating at the bottom of the video. Problem is that turning it off makes the video look flat and without depth (or guide lines).

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, I always drive in individual mode, so the lift was saved while driving in individual mode.

As we all know, for some inexplicable reason, the car always defaults to "normal" mode when you turn it on, which makes no sense to me as I would prefer it to remain in the same mode it was in when the car was turned off. It is annoying (again, we are in a safe zone here as it is not a big deal of course) to have to adjust driving mode each and every time that you enter the car.

I stick by my assertion that there should be zero connection between memory lift and drive mode. Memory lift is, by its very nature, designed to allow drivers to remember specific bumps, ramps or other obstacles. These bumps, ramps or other obstacles that are saved in memory lift will always be there regardless of selected drive mode, so it makes no sense to have to save them again independently for each drive mode or have the memory lift lowered merely because you change drive mode. By contrast, temporary obstacles are not typically saved in memory lift. In short, if there is a bump and I save it to memory lift, my car should lift in every drive mode and despite changing drive modes.

When I approach my office in the mornings (driving in individual drive mode), the car correctly remembers the memory lift and lifts the car. The car remains lifted when I park and even when I turn the car off. At the end of the day when I return to the car, the car remains lifted. If I were to drive off in "normal" mode, the car would remain lifted. However, the minute I change to "individual" mode, the car lowers (you can see the symbol flashing), which means I need to hit lift again, at which point I get asked, again, whether I want to save the location. :rolleyes:
So, here is a video to show this. As you can see, it is lifted when I turn the car on, which of course is normal drive mode. So I turn to individual and the lift button goes white and car starts to lower, so I need to hit button again and re-save location. I do realize it is hard to see the color changes when viewing on a small screen like a phone.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Ok, so this little video shows the swiveling and how I can turn it off. Notice the plate rotating at the bottom of the video. Problem is that turning it off makes the video look flat and without depth (or guide lines).

So that looks like you have the Park Assist- surround view 3D option. It has more video software wizardry than the non-3d version but apparently doesn't have the cheaper option's wheel view display.

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Yes, I always drive in individual mode, so the lift was saved while driving in individual mode.

As we all know, for some inexplicable reason, the car always defaults to "normal" mode when you turn it on, which makes no sense to me as I would prefer it to remain in the same mode it was in when the car was turned off. It is annoying (again, we are in a safe zone here as it is not a big deal of course) to have to adjust driving mode each and every time that you enter the car.

I stick by my assertion that there should be zero connection between memory lift and drive mode. Memory lift is, by its very nature, designed to allow drivers to remember specific bumps, ramps or other obstacles. These bumps, ramps or other obstacles that are saved in memory lift will always be there regardless of selected drive mode, so it makes no sense to have to save them again independently for each drive mode or have the memory lift lowered merely because you change drive mode. By contrast, temporary obstacles are not typically saved in memory lift. In short, if there is a bump and I save it to memory lift, my car should lift in every drive mode and despite changing drive modes.

When I approach my office in the mornings (driving in individual drive mode), the car correctly remembers the memory lift and lifts the car. The car remains lifted when I park and even when I turn the car off. At the end of the day when I return to the car, the car remains lifted. If I were to drive off in "normal" mode, the car would remain lifted. However, the minute I change to "individual" mode, the car lowers (you can see the symbol flashing), which means I need to hit lift again, at which point I get asked, again, whether I want to save the location. :rolleyes:
Super helpful (I don’t have my car yet…I’m waiting). You would hope that the issues you have laid out are on the software roadmap at Porsche. We all know they read this forum religiously - so can we please have a comment from Porsche HQ?

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Ironic that I'm adding to this thread now, as it's beautiful outside, but my beef is that the rear hatch (ST), lets water into the actual boot when you open it and the boot hatch is wet. Only on one side on my car. Very irritating. Luckily I have a boot liner, but still, something surely easily avoided with some better design.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So that looks like you have the Park Assist- surround view 3D option. It has more video software wizardry than the non-3d version but apparently doesn't have the cheaper option's wheel view display.
How does yours work? Could you upload a video? Mine may have it and I just don’t know how to sort through settings, d’oh.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
How does yours work? Could you upload a video? Mine may have it and I just don’t know how to sort through settings, d’oh.
I'm trying to upload one but it's hanging at 100% uploaded- I may have to take some stills instead.
In the meantime, I must hold my hand up- it's only now that I've watched my own video that I've noticed that my camera view DOES swivel with the steering- I've honestly never noticed before not even when I got in the car yesterday to check :blush: .
EDIT- I've found this video on the internet, it's exactly the same as mine so I don't now need to share images of my shamefully untidy garage 😁

Last edited:

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
While it does not drive me crazy, I have noticed that the ACC/Innodrive does not always handle heavy traffic at high speeds (aka I-95) well.

Imagine that you were driving along with your speed set at, say, 90 mph. You approach a heavy traffic zone created by a few cars driving at or near the speed limit (65 mph) but refusing to move to the right despite there being plenty of opportunities to do so, and yet there are other cars doing approximately the speed limit in the middle and far right lanes . . . which creates a moving bottleneck.

So, as you come up on one of these moving bottlenecks, the Taycan correctly decelerates and holds position. Now imagine that the lane next to you starts moving faster, but not orders of magnitude faster (e.g., your lane is doing 65 mph and the neighboring lane is doing 70 mph). Since there is relatively heavy traffic, there is not a huge amount of spacing between cars (e.g., one-bar distance on ACC).

The issue is that when you turn on your turn signal and initiate the lane change in a relatively gentle and predictable way (e.g., not the BMW method), the Taycan will begin to rapidly accelerate in the middle of the lane change, presumably because the sensor is between the two rows of cars. This happens regularly, which makes you tap the brakes and shut off ACC/Innodrive until you are in the new lane, at which point you can resume.

Not great: seems like the breadth of the sensor area should be a bit wider.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok, so here is another one: the user interface for parking assistance (auto parking) sucks, at least for busy, urban environments.

The auto parking function would be most useful in busy, urban environments where you feel pressure to park quickly, because it is the pressure that can lead to making a mistake, which creates even more delay, or curbing your rims.

I have never once been able to get this to work quickly, so I just give up and park myself.

I couldn’t even get it to work this morning in the parking garage with no pressure.

I wish it would work as follows. If you have the auto parking function turned on by default, I would want the PCM to ask “Are you parking?” in big letters if you are driving below a certain speed AND you have your turn signal turned on, which would tell the car which side you want. It should present two options to you in really big buttons (Front or back in and parallel or perpendicular with one common default for each choice that you would change if you wanted). Once you hit a big button that says “start” the car would start the process or tell you want to do to start the process (eg, put car in reverse or drive, or pull up or pull back). If it has detected more than one potential spot, it would show you the options (preferably using camera) and have you touch the spot you want, again with a big button. Same exact function, but so much simpler.

If anyone has a particularly good video on how to use this option effectively, please post.

Last edited:

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The front of the car is an insect apocolypse most of the time, you'd think with the rake and airflow they would miss more lol
Oh god is it ever. I drove it back from South California (where I bought it), and it’s mayhem. I don’t have the ability to wash at home and did not have time to set up a detailing (somehow I think automated car wash is a bad idea), so I’m really hoping I’m not damaging my paint for letting it sit so long.

Worst case it buffs out, right?

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
While it does not drive me crazy, I have noticed that the ACC/Innodrive does not always handle heavy traffic at high speeds (aka I-95) well.

Imagine that you were driving along with your speed set at, say, 90 mph. You approach a heavy traffic zone created by a few cars driving at or near the speed limit (65 mph) but refusing to move to the right despite there being plenty of opportunities to do so, and yet there are other cars doing approximately the speed limit in the middle and far right lanes . . . which creates a moving bottleneck.

So, as you come up on one of these moving bottlenecks, the Taycan correctly decelerates and holds position. Now imagine that the lane next to you starts moving faster, but not orders of magnitude faster (e.g., your lane is doing 65 mph and the neighboring lane is doing 70 mph). Since there is relatively heavy traffic, there is not a huge amount of spacing between cars (e.g., one-bar distance on ACC).

The issue is that when you turn on your turn signal and initiate the lane change in a relatively gentle and predictable way (e.g., not the BMW method), the Taycan will begin to rapidly accelerate in the middle of the lane change, presumably because the sensor is between the two rows of cars. This happens regularly, which makes you tap the brakes and shut off ACC/Innodrive until you are in the new lane, at which point you can resume.

Not great: seems like the breadth of the sensor area should be a bit wider.
I have ACC on my RS6 (2016) and never had this issue, but Audi use two radar sensors, one on each side of the car. This presumably prevents this ’tunnel vision’ effect, as one would always be ‘looking’ at a car in front.

Jonttt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo
Country flag
Oh god is it ever. I drove it back from South California (where I bought it), and it’s mayhem. I don’t have the ability to wash at home and did not have time to set up a detailing (somehow I think automated car wash is a bad idea), so I’m really hoping I’m not damaging my paint for letting it sit so long.

Worst case it buffs out, right?
Don’t get me started on car detailing lol

In my case whilst it is a company car I took the trouble to give the car a protection layer of Fusso wax. If I pre soak the car in Bilt Hamber touch less snow foam the jet wash removes most without contact. The rest removes with a light hand wash. Note I am UK based so our insects are tame by comparison, more like docile pets. God knows what insects in the US have inside them. In all seriousness I would give the paint some added protection to make insect removal that bit easier. Your biggest risk to paint damage will actually be you if hard to remove and you are too vigorous with contact removal.