Marmolata

First Name
RJS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Help! cannot figure this out....read the manual.... on the gear selector switch, there is a detent when switching to reverse or drive. I always push through it thinking it was necessary to get reverse or drive to engage. today i just pushed down TO the detent but not through it to the end position and gear still switched fine to drive. tried reverse and same thing. So, i cannot figure out, what if any, is difference between just pushing selector to detent and pushing selector through detent to the full stop. both positions seem to go exactly the same thing. what am i missing? thanks!
Sponsored

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Yea I don’t know what you are missing. You seem to have figured out the answer already.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Help! cannot figure this out....read the manual.... on the gear selector switch, there is a detent when switching to reverse or drive. I always push through it thinking it was necessary to get reverse or drive to engage. today i just pushed down TO the detent but not through it to the end position and gear still switched fine to drive. tried reverse and same thing. So, i cannot figure out, what if any, is difference between just pushing selector to detent and pushing selector through detent to the full stop. both positions seem to go exactly the same thing. what am i missing? thanks!
Normal behaviour and no mystery to it. Some folk prefer the feel of a positive action to confirm they've done something.

I do think it is stupidly located and partly hidden from view.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The detent indicates an intermediate selection. To switch directly between R and D will require you to push through the detent, otherwise you'll end up in N.

Going from P (neutral position) to R or D, a single push is needed as its only one change in position.

OTPSkipper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune Blue Taycan
Country flag
There is a detent? I have always tapped twice.

OP
OP
Marmolata

Marmolata

First Name
RJS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
The detent indicates an intermediate selection. To switch directly between R and D will require you to push through the detent, otherwise you'll end up in N.

Going from P (neutral position) to R or D, a single push is needed as its only one change in position.
ah, got it, thanks for explaination. makes sense now 👍🏽
Sponsored