Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector destination charger Access Control feature

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
I have yet to see a Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector in the field being used as a destination charger at a hotel or other commercial location. But, I assume some of the destination chargers are the Gen 3 Wall Connector which features Access Control with three possible settings - All Vehicles, Only Teslas, and Authorized Teslas Only.

I have two questions about using a Tesla to J1772 adapter with a Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector.

1) If Access Control is set to Only Tesla does that effectively block the use of a Tesla to J1772 adapter?

2) If using a Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector at your home (with Access Control set to All Vehicles) can you leave the Tesla to J1772 connected to the Tesla plug all of the time, or is it necessary to install the Tesla to J1772 adapter and wait 30 seconds before each use?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I have yet to see a Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector in the field being used as a destination charger at a hotel or other commercial location. But, I assume some of the destination chargers are the Gen 3 Wall Connector which features Access Control with three possible settings - All Vehicles, Only Teslas, and Authorized Teslas Only.

I have two questions about using a Tesla to J1772 adapter with a Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector.

1) If Access Control is set to Only Tesla does that effectively block the use of a Tesla to J1772 adapter?

2) If using a Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector at your home (with Access Control set to All Vehicles) can you leave the Tesla to J1772 connected to the Tesla plug all of the time, or is it necessary to install the Tesla to J1772 adapter and wait 30 seconds before each use?
I'm guessing if it's Tesla's only adapters won't work but I don't know

you can leave the J-1772 connector on the charger all the time - no need to reconnect it each time…I do this all the time with my Gen2 chargers - worse case you cycle the breaker on the charger if it's not working.

bergs

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan RWD, '20 Cayenne, '18 Model 3
Country flag
if you read the manual about the setup, there are 3 options:

1) no restrictions
2) tesla only
3) locked to VIN(s)

its clearly exchanging VIN via the serial pin, so unlikely to work if set to "tesla only" and your vin starts with WP0....
Sponsored