Gentian Blue Metallic - Will it Look Purplish?

Does Gentian Blue Metallic ever look Purplish?

• Total voters

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
My wife and I were at the local Porsche dealer browsing the lot for color options for her Taycan order. We had narrowed it down to 2 choices, then a Gentian Blue Metallic Taycan drove by on the main road. We only got to look at it for maybe 10 seconds, but it stole the show. It immediately shot up to the top of the list.

HOWEVER, my wife is extremely concerned that Gentian Blue will look "purplish" in certain lighting conditions. She hates purple with a passion (sorry Prince.) Our dealer hasn't been able to find a Gentian Blue car to view in person, and the build spec locks next week.

Gentian Blue owners, please share your experience. Will it ever look slightly purplish?

Thanks in advance for your perspectives!

Update:
Thanks everyone for the feedback. There was a Gentian Blue Panamera at the local dealer for an hour this morning and we got a chance to see it. In direct sunlight, the car is completely blue with no hint of purple. But on the shaded side, from certain angles, there is definitely a purplish/bluish hue.

taycan-gentian-blue-purple.jpg

I thought it was, by far, the most interesting paint color on the lot with the depth and changing colors. And I really thought the matte PPF pictures were going to push my wife over the edge to go with the color. But ultimately, she decided she just wasn’t a blue car person, much less an “occasionally purplish” car person. So boring black metallic it is. But ultimately it’s her car and decision. Happy wife, happy life.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and especially pictures. Gentian Blue is definitely at the top of my list for future car colors.

Last edited:

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
It looks blue most of the time, though, depending on the lighting, it can look purplish. If your wife has a hard rule against purple under ALL lighting conditions, then, I'd consider another color.

btaback

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2022 F150 Lightning
Country flag
I had the same concerns. But boy am I glad I didn’t let it deter me. I’m two months in and this color continues to impress me. It is such a head turner. I have had multiple people request to take pics of the car while at the EA stations. Go for it and don’t look back. And yes, once in a blue moon (get it) I see a purple tone to the car. But it is overwhelmingly blue.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
My 911S was same color (although maybe called something else). It definitely had a purple look at times. I am not sure why that's a big deal. Its a great color in any light. I would have put it on my Taycan if not for the fact I drove that color 12 years. I went this time with Neptune Blue. FWIW the flat colors seem to be quite fashionable these days, but either color is gorgeous.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
I love the colour. Perhaps why I ordered it 🤣

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
My wife and I were at the local Porsche dealer browsing the lot for color options. We had narrowed it down to 2 choices, then a Gentian Blue Metallic Taycan drove by on the main road. We only got to look at it for maybe 10 seconds, but it stole the show. It immediately shot up to the top of the list.

HOWEVER, my wife is extremely concerned that Gentian Blue will look "purplish" in certain lighting conditions. She hates purple with a passion (sorry Prince.) Our dealer hasn't been able to find a Gentian Blue car to view in person, and the build spec locks next week.

Gentian Blue owners, please share your experience. Will it ever look slightly purplish?

Thanks in advance for your perspectives!
It doesnt matter at all what we all think.

We all know the OP's wife will be judge and jury on this. 🤔

Let us know what she decides.
😁
Sponsored