Getting Porsche Mobile Charger Connect before car delivery

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Has anyone else spoke to the dealer re getting the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect in advance of your car being delivered?
Like you I would prefer to have the charger installed and ready to go, prior to delivery. So I asked my dealer and he said it would be no problem getting the charger early. Maybe he planned on stealing one from an inventory car.
Sponsored

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
And on a related note, does anyone know if the Porsche charger has a connected smartphone app, like aftermarket chargers such as ChargePoint do? From the description on the configurator, it appears it’s only a touchscreen interface:

“Charging cable (Type 1 plug) for Level 1 (120 volts) and Level 2 (240 volts) charging . The touchscreen allows settings to be changed and different information and statistics on charging processes to be called up. Cable length between the control unit and vehicle with is 8.2 ft.”

This might be enough to make me eat the cost for the required Porsche charger and buy an aftermarket one.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
And on a related note, does anyone know if the Porsche charger has a connected smartphone app, like aftermarket chargers such as ChargePoint do? From the description on the configurator, it appears it’s only a touchscreen interface:

“Charging cable (Type 1 plug) for Level 1 (120 volts) and Level 2 (240 volts) charging . The touchscreen allows settings to be changed and different information and statistics on charging processes to be called up. Cable length between the control unit and vehicle with is 8.2 ft.”

This might be enough to make me eat the cost for the required Porsche charger and buy an aftermarket one.
It has wifi and uses the Porsche connect app
https://www.porsche.com/international/aboutporsche/e-performance/home-charging/

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I was also thinking about getting an additional Mobile Charger Connect and Dock prior to delivery. One to keep on the car and other for home use. Is the only way to connect via WiFi? I live in a condo and won’t have any connections available where the car is parked unless I can do a direct connection to the unit. Worth it to go this route or buy a third party “dumb” unit (e.g. Bosch)? The Bosch route is much cheaper!!

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
See above. It says you can interact with it via a touchscreen, so you shouldn’t need Wi-Fi. The charger cable is easy to unplug and take it with you, so not necessary to have an extra, but YMMV.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
See above. It says you can interact with it via a touchscreen, so you shouldn’t need Wi-Fi. The charger cable is easy to unplug and take it with you, so not necessary to have an extra, but YMMV.
My condo building is forcing me to have a hard-wired installation. I really wanted a plug to do exactly what you recommend. I was not impressed. I figured most of the features are available - just wondering if I am losing any functionality without it. Or if it is even worth it over a cheaper option. At this point, however, I am so deep into this car from a cost perspective the additional $1K is a rounding error!! They are charging me $6K for the electrical work - being four levels down in the parking garage didn’t help.

Appreciate the response. Thanks.

dannyfinley

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (ordered)
Country flag
Im planning on using my Mobile Charger Connect as my permanent home charging station. I plan on having the 14-50 plug and a dedicated 220V run with appropriate wire size etc. I also plan on purchasing the (expensive) wall mount dock for the charger. I want the clean look in the garage as it is my palace lol. Does anyone with EV experience see a problem with using the supplied charger as the permanent home charger?

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Im planning on using my Mobile Charger Connect as my permanent home charging station. I plan on having the 14-50 plug and a dedicated 220V run with appropriate wire size etc. I also plan on purchasing the (expensive) wall mount dock for the charger. I want the clean look in the garage as it is my palace lol. Does anyone with EV experience see a problem with using the supplied charger as the permanent home charger?

This is exactly my approach as well. This seems to be the intent of the Mobile Charger Connect, so I don't see any particular issue with it.

Here's my only caveat: NEMA 14-50 receptacles aren't intended for very high frequency plug/unplug cycles. If you are planning on unplugging and carrying your Mobile Connect charger around daily/very frequently you'd probably be best served with a permanent, hardwired EVSE in your garage and use the Mobile Connect only for mobile use. If, like me, you expect to unmount and carry the charger around only infrequently, for example for roadtrips, holidays or to snowbird, I think it would be fine.

ceresma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S90D 2015
Country flag
I've got a Tesla Wallmount, can I charge my Taycan also with that?
Im in the same boat. I have Tesla chargers mounted in both houses. I'm ordering a Tesla tap (or one similar still trying to determine which is best). Then just plug into Tesla charger.

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
Did anybody got information from his dealer that there is also a basic wall mount available for the charger? It is shown in the installation manual. It should be less costly.

Porsche Taycan Getting Porsche Mobile Charger Connect before car delivery 1582353898744

Snowbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 turbo — Taycan turbo S
Country flag
I am waiting my turbo S . I am lucky. I took the last available service in my condo buiding.

for your info

Description
Install 14-50 for ELECTRIc car with wire # 3 ALUMI. ( 200 feet from the the electric room )
meter 100 amp
Box 100 AMP.
oultlet 14-50 with lock. BREAKERS FEDERAL.2-40 AMP. CONECting box 1 inche TY-RAP.

Porsche Taycan Getting Porsche Mobile Charger Connect before car delivery 638C5A17-AD4C-49EF-9E40-A644E2A6C728

Porsche Taycan Getting Porsche Mobile Charger Connect before car delivery 94F57B07-6C01-40D0-926E-3505FE5658B2

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Did anybody got information from his dealer that there is also a basic wall mount available for the charger? It is shown in the installation manual. It should be less costly.
Looks nice. I'll have to get me one of those.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello,

here are two pictures of the charger as it came with the car. One picture is with the charger inserted into the wall mount and the plug into the plug holder. The other picture shows the charger and plug separated wall mount and plug holder. All these items were in the charger bag, no extra purchase was necessary as far as I can tell.

Cheers,
Henrik

PS: The cable guide should be next to the wall mount, not to the plug holder.

Porsche Taycan Getting Porsche Mobile Charger Connect before car delivery PT_MobileCharger-1

Porsche Taycan Getting Porsche Mobile Charger Connect before car delivery PT_MobileCharger-2

JayGT4

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4 / Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Here's my only caveat: NEMA 14-50 receptacles aren't intended for very high frequency plug/unplug cycles.
I was planning on charging daily simply using the standard 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage. Any downsides to doing so?

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I was planning on charging daily simply using the standard 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage. Any downsides to doing so?
I think @LonePalmBJ 's comments are worth noting. If you intend to leave the unit plugged in most of the time and therefore have a separate mobile charger to keep in the car, it should be fine. If you intend to unplug the device and put it back in the car everyday, that could leave you needing to replace the outlet. I have always left one device plugged into the 14-50 outlet.
Sponsored