Getting Porsche Mobile Charger Connect before car delivery

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
Has anyone else spoke to the dealer re getting the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect in advance of your car being delivered?

spoke to my dealer yesterday and he said it ships with the car which if fine if you are using it as a mobile charger but no good if you want it permanently mounting with the mounting kit on the wall.

He has gone off to see if I can take delivery of the charger early for installation or buy another one in advance and then get a credit for the one coming with the car.
Sponsored

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
The mounting cannot be that difficult, more work is to install the electrical line from your main panel. Agree that having the charger up front would be nice. TO the very least do the electrical work.

BliXem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2020
Country flag
I've got a Tesla Wallmount, can I charge my Taycan also with that?

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Yes if you tinker a bit with the toggles. Can’t remember which one you have to switch around. But you can find that elsewhere on the net. :)

xy911jk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've got a Tesla Wallmount, can I charge my Taycan also with that?
There are two “DIP switches” inside the enclosure (lower left side, beside the max amp selector). Switch 1 must be set depending on your ground system, switch 2 is always set to on if you follow the user manual. I read in a post (do not remember where) that setting it to off enables charging non tesla cars (the Wallconnector is used as a destination charger for non tesla cars in many places, apparently using this undocumented setting). Never tried myself as I have a Tesla, but the the post looked reliable to me. However, I would not be surprised if the Taycan is using something special in the communication protocol which may prevent using this approach (otherwise I do not understand why the Porsche proprietary charger is currently mandatory).

BliXem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2020
Country flag
There are two “DIP switches” inside the enclosure (lower left side, beside the max amp selector). Switch 1 must be set depending on your ground system, switch 2 is always set to on if you follow the user manual. I read in a post (do not remember where) that setting it to off enables charging non tesla cars (the Wallconnector is used as a destination charger for non tesla cars in many places, apparently using this undocumented setting). Never tried myself as I have a Tesla, but the the post looked reliable to me. However, I would not be surprised if the Taycan is using something special in the communication protocol which may prevent using this approach (otherwise I do not understand why the Porsche proprietary charger is currently mandatory).
Yes, I think it's possible with the switch 2 setting. The dealer told me that it's not possible to use the Tesla Wallmount because Taycan can 'see' that. But there are some exeptions with hotels which are using the Tesla chargers. So... The only way to found out, is testing it ;)

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Tesla Model S (for sale)
Country flag
Yes, I think it's possible with the switch 2 setting. The dealer told me that it's not possible to use the Tesla Wallmount because Taycan can 'see' that. But there are some exeptions with hotels which are using the Tesla chargers. So... The only way to found out, is testing it ;)
I have mounted two TWC at my parents. One for my parents’ eGolf and one for my Tesla when I am on visit. The two are mounted in balance. There is no problem with that, but you may need to own a Tesla to be able to buy from Tesla. However, there is nothing to stop you from buy from private. Tesla can only see the TWC, when a Tesla is connected, because it use the Tesla’s WWAN connection to communicate.

OP
OP
Austin_yeahbaby

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
Guys - Completely going around in circles and any help appreciated.

As posted above, my dealer says the connect charger that is mandatory comes shipped with the car so no way to see it in advance, prep or install.

When I've chased the dealer says the mandatory Porsche charger is really aimed for mobile usage away from the home and they recommend Andersen EV 3rd party wall charger.

https://andersen-ev.com

These are on an 18 week lead-time for 3 phase which is what I need.

I'm begrudged to order yet another charger on a long lead time when I'm forced to take the connect charger for £700 and I've added the housing at an additional £284.

For those without a charger currently, what are you plans to get sorted before the car arrives.

Thanks,

Last edited:

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

As posted above, my dealer says the connect charger that is mandatory comes shipped with the car so no way to see it in advance, prep or install.

When I've chased the dealer says the mandatory Porsche charger is really aimed for mobile usage away from the home and they recommend Andersen EV 3rd party wall charger.

I'm begrudged to order yet another charger on a long lead time when I'm forced to take the connect charger for £700 and I've added the housing at an additional £284.

For those without a charger currently, what are you plans to get sorted before the car arrives.

Thanks,
To plug it into the wall outlet and let it trickle charge all night. It’s just as finished in the morning.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
To plug it into the wall outlet and let it trickle charge all night. It’s just as finished in the morning.
You must have very long nights in CA to make that work!

I am just going to use my 11kW charger and only charge it during the low cost hours, between 2 am and 7 am.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You must have very long nights in CA to make that work!
Even with only 200mi range, most of the time I’ll only need to charge once a week, so taking 7 nights isn’t a problem. Short daily driver. We’re also spoiled with a lot of charger infrastructure in California if I ever needed a fast DC charge. I don’t plan to install anything in this house for a while. Eventually I’ll probably do one of these https://www.chargepoint.com/drivers/home/

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag

Thanks,
This is complete BS from your dealer - not surprising considering they are new to EVs. Of course the "mobile" charger is designed for "mobile" charging. That being said, my mobile Tesla charger never left the garage for the last 5 years. When travelling, I relied on superchargers (mostly) or public chargers (couple of times in 5 years). The only reason for carrying your mobile charger with you is if you go to a place where there are no public EV chargers available - and you plan to charge from an usual 110 / 220v supply, Check Bjorn Nyland early youtube videos on travelling outside of the supercharger network - no longer an issue with Tesla. I suspect this is going to be a non-issue with Porsche soon enough, so I am not concerned at all.

So back to what you need for your home charging system:
1: dedicated circuit with wiring that can support the current. In US it is usually 110V/ 32-40 A - you being in UK I suspect you will need a triphasic 220V or something similar. Check with Tesla owners, that will be the same setup.
2. Wall socket with the proper connector for your country. I use NEMA 14-50 in US - not sure what you need in UK.
3. The actual mobile charger.

The first 2 are the ones that you must have pre-installed in your garage on the day of delivery - otherwise you need to trickle charge from the usual wall socket, which will probably give you couple miles per hour. Any electrician should be able to do the work, as the circuit is similar to what you would use for an electric oven, large electric appliance etc. When you get your car delivered,
you only need to plug the charger in your dedicated circuit wall socket and voila, you have your charging system going. You can think of a more permanent solution on how to store the
"mobile" charger at a later time. If you fancy the Porsche wall docking unit, that may be an esthetically nice solution.

My Tesla charger received the royal treatment for installation: a bicycle water bottle holder and couple of wall screws. From the pictures I see, the Porsche charger looks bulkier, I may need to invest in a more expensive solution - or find a bigger bottle holder:).

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Even with only 200mi range, most of the time I’ll only need to charge once a week, so taking 7 nights isn’t a problem. Short daily driver. We’re also spoiled with a lot of charger infrastructure in California if I ever needed a fast DC charge. I don’t plan to install anything in this house for a while. Eventually I’ll probably do one of these https://www.chargepoint.com/drivers/home/
FWIW, I've been using the ChargePoint Home for a couple years. Works great; very happy with it.