Glass roof colour

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
Something I've been wondering about for a while: The glass roof on my Jet Black TBS is blue from above, and sometimes purple in lower angel when raining, but never not total black as my previous Mercedes S-class. Is it suppose to be like this, or did someone on the factory accidentally pick the wrong one :facepalm:? Comments are appreciated!

View attachment 14966
View attachment 14967

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Entirely normal. It has various coatings applied to reflect UV light etc....not too dissimilar to heat and noise insulating glass where the front windshield has the same blue / purple tinge to it.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Refracts the light beautifully.
Porsche Taycan Glass roof colour 1617206270744

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Entirely normal. It has various coatings applied to reflect UV light etc....not too dissimilar to heat and noise insulating glass where the front windshield has the same blue / purple tinge to it.
Think "high-dollar Zeiss Icon fixed-focus lens coating".

It's all about optical physics and engineered solutions. In the waves and fields class for electrical engineering, we learned about the effects of transmission through and reflection from interfaces of media of differing reactance, admittance, etc. at certain wavelengths/frequencies, wherein using this kind of multilayered coating was explained.

And because of these properties of the pano roof, we can see the sky through it, but it doesn't overheat or disintegrate our interiors. As an inhabitant of high desert lands upon which incredibly intense solar radiation falls for 335 days/year, I can really appreciate that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arno

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
Thanks guys for your kind feedback! This was all very revealing and relaxing. I would hate to complain at something I love so much as my Porsche :clap:
Sponsored

Last edited: