Going away for 10 days.. leave plugged in or not?

Heath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Sorry, I know this has been posted before but I can’t find the threads.
Going away on holidays for 10 days. Question is
1. Leave car plugged in or not?
2. What state of charge to leave it at?

Was planning on leaving car in garage at 80%, not plugged in. Any issues?

Sorry for the repetitive question
Sponsored

AHayat

First Name
Amjad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF, Audi A7 Comp Edition, CLS53 AMG
Country flag
Not at all. I left it vat the airport for 2 weeks at 43% and came back to 42%. I did not try ton connect or check the car using My Porsche app as wasn’t sure if that may keep trying to connect when I log off and might drain the 12v battery. Maybe I am wrong but didn’t want to chance

Deleted member 6348

For long term storage (weeks on end), the recommended SoC is 50%, but 10 days doesn’t qualify for that. You’ll be fine.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
We went away for 10 days and left it at home with the charger connected with my usual timer/profile (85% charge but no precool / heat).

Ours lives on the drive and I thought leaving it plugged in also made it look like we were home for security.

It never charged during that time and lost 0%.

I did check on the app to see how it was once or twice.

So I would say leave it like you would if it was any other night, but leave precool/heat off and not above 85% soc.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
This may be a naive questions, as I'm barely a year after initial deposit and have at least another year before any chance of seeing a physical Taycan in my garage, but why is leaving the car plugged in for days an issue? I've been driving Teslas for 9 years and it seems logical that the car has software in it smart enough to determine when it needs to charge or not charge. So a plugged in car can decide to charge the battery to top it off if needed, or can shut down the charger if it decides not charging is better for the car. By leaving it unplugged, you take that choice away from the software - if the battery SoC is decaying too much, there is nothing the car can to do help itself. Is the Taycan software so bad that it will damage a car if you give a choice to charge whenever it wants, or did the Porsche engineers forget to design in the ability for software to turn off charging? What am I missing here?

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag

It will be fine either way. Leaving it plugged-in offers the benefit of being able to add charge if needed prior to arrival.

It is amazing how well the Taycan maintains its charge when compared to our Model S.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This may be a naive questions, as I'm barely a year after initial deposit and have at least another year before any chance of seeing a physical Taycan in my garage, but why is leaving the car plugged in for days an issue? I've been driving Teslas for 9 years and it seems logical that the car has software in it smart enough to determine when it needs to charge or not charge. So a plugged in car can decide to charge the battery to top it off if needed, or can shut down the charger if it decides not charging is better for the car. By leaving it unplugged, you take that choice away from the software - if the battery SoC is decaying too much, there is nothing the car can to do help itself. Is the Taycan software so bad that it will damage a car if you give a choice to charge whenever it wants, or did the Porsche engineers forget to design in the ability for software to turn off charging? What am I missing here?
Not missing anything at all.

Entirely optional.

The concern has been around the 12v battery which has led to various issues all of which have been resolved.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
My car has been on my lift at home (unplugged) for 2+ weeks now and has not lost any of the 85% charge I left it with (based on a couple of pings from the App). Returning home next week and expect that SoC to be the same :).

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not missing anything at all.

Entirely optional.

The concern has been around the 12v battery which has led to various issues all of which have been resolved.
So is the answer to the OP question #1 that the best thing to do is to just keep the car plugged in when away, so it can heat/cool batteries, recharge HV or 12V batteries at will, in order words do what is best for the car? I get that with unless the HV battery is low, 10 days is not a problem, but has there ever been a time where leaving a Taycan plugged in was a bad idea?

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
My car has been on my lift at home (unplugged) for 2+ weeks now and has not lost any of the 85% charge I left it with (based on a couple of pings from the App). Returning home next week and expect that SoC to be the same :).
SoC will be the same when you’ll sit in the car, but it will drop soon for one (and two) % after a hundred meter.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I'm just back from a two week work trip to/from Australia. Left my car with 47% state of charge – not plugged in.

Came back to it being at 46%.

Quite impressive really.

Reactions: B61

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm just back from a two week work trip to/from Australia. Left my car with 47% state of charge – not plugged in.

Came back to it being at 46%.

Quite impressive really.
Where was the Taycan parked (temperatures, open area/closed garage, any wind/air movement)?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Where was the Taycan parked (temperatures, open area/closed garage, any wind/air movement)?
Good question. It was in an underground car park (under my apartment block) with a consistent ambient temperature of 12C - no exposure to the elements - including sunlight.

Reactions: B61

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good question. It was in an underground car park (under my apartment block) with a consistent ambient temperature of 12C - no exposure to the elements - including sunlight.
Sound like an ideal EV storage environment - battery at a temperature which does not require active cooling or heating (which uses up energy in addition to SoC normal decay at whatever temperature).

Last edited:

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag

I’ve had EVs for 10 years now. Volt for 4 years, Model S for 7 years and now Taycan.

I always leave the cars unplugged. Although I have to be careful with the Tesla with its horrible vampire drain. The Taycan has almost no vampire drain.

The reason is, I live in Florida, the lightning capital of the US. Many of my friends, family and neighbors have lost very expense electronic equipment from lightning strikes. I don’t trust the charger to isolate the car from a strike.

Im out of the country for a while right now and my Taycan is sitting nicely at 53% charged, unplugged, draining almost no power at all. Isolated from anything that hits the house….. we’ll except a hurricane I guess…
Sponsored

Last edited: