Going away for 10 days.. leave plugged in or not?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I didn’t. It was March April in Cincinnati. Not too cold but not hot. I am doing it again, traveling for 2 weeks left car at the airport. I could not do this with my previous Tesla.
I've left my Model S unplugged at the Seattle airport 1-2 weeks at a time without any issues, even in the winter (though parking is covered). And I have Blackvue dashcams draining the 12V battery 24/7 too. Worst case first few days the car would lose ~1% a day, then slower as the car enters deep sleep mode. I don't recall losing more than 10% SoC in a couple of weeks, usually less.
Sponsored

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
I've left my Model S unplugged at the Seattle airport 1-2 weeks at a time without any issues, even in the winter (though parking is covered). And I have Blackvue dashcams draining the 12V battery 24/7 too. Worst case first few days the car would lose ~1% a day, then slower as the car enters deep sleep mode. I don't recall losing more than 10% SoC in a couple of weeks, usually less.
I got rid of my Tesla (second tesla) because it was loosing 5-10 miles range a day and giving me issues charging. When i went to the service managers they said issue is i was unfamiliar with how to charge and likely left the car with something on. Mind you at that time I had had 2 teslas for 5.5 years of traveling everywhere. When I told the service manager that was not the issue he got rude. So i left the car there, got an Uber, drove to my local Porsche dealer and bought a Taycan Turbo S.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I got rid of my Tesla (second tesla) because it was loosing 5-10 miles range a day
Thats one big difference between the Taycan and a Tesla: the Taycan consumes significantly less power when idle than any Tesla does.
I was on vacation for two weeks and when I left, my Taycan was at 85% charge and when I came back it was at 83%. The same week on my Tesla, even after turning off sentry mode (a big power sink), it was losing 3% per day and I was down to 45% after two weeks. What's worse is that I was losing 7% per day on the Tesla if I had sentry mode active and didn't turn off the Tesla app. on my iPhone.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So i left the car there, got an Uber, drove to my local Porsche dealer and bought a Taycan Turbo S.
I'm curious how exactly you just left the car there. Did you just gift it to the receptionist or the foreman? Did they offer you a good cash price for your car on the spot? Why not take the Tesla to the Porsche dealer and get trade-in sales tax credit? When was it and which Tesla service center?

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
I'm curious how exactly you just left the car there. Did you just gift it to the receptionist or the foreman? Did they offer you a good cash price for your car on the spot? Why not take the Tesla to the Porsche dealer and get trade-in sales tax credit? When was it and which Tesla service center?
That was a cool story.

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
Thats one big difference between the Taycan and a Tesla: the Taycan consumes significantly less power when idle than any Tesla does.
I was on vacation for two weeks and when I left, my Taycan was at 85% charge and when I came back it was at 83%. The same week on my Tesla, even after turning off sentry mode (a big power sink), it was losing 3% per day and I was down to 45% after two weeks. What's worse is that I was losing 7% per day on the Tesla if I had sentry mode active and didn't turn off the Tesla app. on my iPhone.
I find it ironic as Tesla EVs are generally much more efficient vehicles yet they lose charge much quicker the than the Taycan. I am guessing this has do to not only with Sentry Mode but possibly the more connected Tesla vehicle network receiving/reporting data even when Sentry Mode and Cabin Overheat Protection are not active.

The Taycan really is a great vehicle in most of the ways our Model S is not: steering ratio and feel, turning circle, engaged driving experience, very good fit and finish, CarPlay (when working).

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
it was losing 3% per day and I was down to 45% after two weeks. What's worse is that I was losing 7% per day on the Tesla if I had sentry mode active and didn't turn off the Tesla app. on my iPhone.
Wow, didn't know it lost that much. I wonder what tesla keeps on all the time?

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
…. yet they lose charge much quicker the than the Taycan. I am guessing this has do to not only with Sentry Mode but possibly the more connected Tesla vehicle network receiving/reporting data ….
I was losing 3% overnight in my model Y (come home from work with 45%, leave next morning with 42%). Then I read on a Tesla forum that I should turn off Sentry mode, which I didn’t realize was active even though I never put a USB thumb drive in the Y. I did that but I’m still losing 20%+ per week just sitting in the garage. I can cut the 20% down by closing the Tesla app, but then the car won’t open with my phone. You can work around this but you need to remember to shut off the phone app and turn it back on when you want to use your car. Grrrr.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow, didn't know it lost that much. I wonder what tesla keeps on all the time?
Different things can keep Tesla up. Sentry mode is definitely a power hog. Another is waking the car with the app by an overeager owner checking up on the car every few hours, or worse, using some 3rd party service to keep polling your car to get you pretty consumption graphs, stats, tracking, etc. Parking it in an open (windy) space when it's cold outside will also cost you a bunch of energy as the battery heater keeps on running. That said, in 9 years, 4 Model S, typically expect ~1% a day for longer parking (first day may be 2% or even 3%, but if you leave it alone the drain slows down significantly). Last but not least, software. Every once in a while an update can come which will cause more vampire drain, but they usually fix it in the next one or two updates (not as long as it sounds, Tesla updates every few days if needed, no need to make any appointments with service). Oh, there is one more, for some of the older cars Tesla decided it is safer to keep the batteries in a tighter temperature range whenever SoC is above ~75%. This results in the battery cooling/heating running a lot, which translates into higher vampire drain (but it will go right down once the battery discharges below 75% - silver lining).

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can cut the 20% down by closing the Tesla app, but then the car won’t open with my phone. You can work around this but you need to remember to shut off the phone app and turn it back on when you want to use your car. Grrrr.
So if you use the Tesla the way you use a Taycan, i.e. no sentry mode use the provided NFC card or even the available key-fob option, you wouldn't have this problem. Then Taycan to Tesla would be a fair comparison. Oh, and you'd also mitigate a recently disclosed low energy bluetooth hack of the Tesla "phone as key" (not just Tesla) your car is vulnerable to if you use your phone as a key (a thief can register their phone as a key when you open your car without you knowing).

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Sorry, I know this has been posted before but I can’t find the threads.
Going away on holidays for 10 days. Question is
1. Leave car plugged in or not?
2. What state of charge to leave it at?

Was planning on leaving car in garage at 80%, not plugged in. Any issues?

Sorry for the repetitive question
Edit see post below

Last edited:

LeftCoastElectric

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Just got home from a 13 day trip.

Left the car unplugged, at 85% battery. Moved the keys to a safe spot away from the car. And was a good kid and didn't check in on the car while I was away.

Got home after the trip, battery is at 85% and the lithium battery was at 14 volts.

Thanks all here for the advice on how to leave the car be!

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
If it helps you my car was in a bad accident and out of commission for a few months, I know for a fact that the battery was not recharged for at least 10 wks while it was in the body shop waiting for parts to be repaired

Porsche Taycan Going away for 10 days.. leave plugged in or not? received_1292818237886848

Over that period of time I'd check in on the status of my car from time to time and it basically went from 75% SoC down to around 67% not being driven at all (not drivable) and periodically accessed with the doors opened/started up/shut down etc.

I think for 10 days you should be ok 👍🏼

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
I had a lease. The car had two months to go and I was planning to order a Plaid to replace it with. So I called the manager at the store and grave her the key. Told her the service manager insulted me and I didn’t want anything else to do with them ever again. She told me she couldnt take the car, so I put the key on her desk and started walking out. She said I had to pay the lease anyhow and I said ok, I pay. I made a commitment. I sent the last two payments when I got home, and they sent me the settlement back. Never saw the car again.
Sponsored