bergs

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan RWD, '20 Cayenne, '18 Model 3
Country flag
Yeah well if they can’t do the deal, as much as I want it to happen it’s not happening. Rivian and lucid on the other hand are emailing customers offering them to make $100 of their deposit binding in order preserve the transition rule eligibility before bill is signed for the next ~16 months. Oh well.
Sponsored

EJM22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
For the US. Does eveyone when you put in your order to purchase (Motor Vehicle Special Order Agreement) the vehicle (not deposit for allocation) sign a purchase agreement? Wouldn’t that suffice?

Kaytan

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I emailed my SA about this, here's his response:

"About the new tax law. We’re not sure how this is going t play out until it passes congress.​
Some say it takes effect as of January 1st, some say it takes effect once the president signs it.​
But there might be situations where ordered cars are still getting the credit. We’re just now sure.​
You have a purchase agreement showing you ordered the car. But it might be necessary to have a purchase agreement from the time you did the contracts.​
Which is usually a week before pickup at Porsche LA Center. Once we are sure about the exact rules, we will communicate this to our Taycan clients."​

Looks like PCNA didn't provide their dealers any official guidance yet...

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
I emailed my SA about this, here's his response:

"About the new tax law. We’re not sure how this is going t play out until it passes congress.​
Some say it takes effect as of January 1st, some say it takes effect once the president signs it.​
But there might be situations where ordered cars are still getting the credit. We’re just now sure.​
You have a purchase agreement showing you ordered the car. But it might be necessary to have a purchase agreement from the time you did the contracts.​
Which is usually a week before pickup at Porsche LA Center. Once we are sure about the exact rules, we will communicate this to our Taycan clients."​

Looks like PCNA didn't provide their dealers any official guidance yet...
Anyone who does not have a written binding contract to purchase by tomorrow can forget about the $7500 tax credit for a Taycan (or any other EV not made in North America).

Fisker, Rivian, and Lucid acted quickly to give their customers a chance to upgrade pre-orders to binding contracts. MB and Porsche are buried in too much bureaucracy to figure out what to do to help customers lock in the tax credit before Biden signs the IRA act into law.

AV7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I follow the Rivian group on FB. A poster just put up his email he received from Rivian. They are offering a written binding contract for him to sign ($100 of his $1,000 deposit is non-refundable upon signing) to preserve his tax credit. Photos from Rivian FB Group from Kevin KJ.
Rivian1.JPG
Rivian 2.JPG
Rivian3.JPG

Had the same for my Lucid order, so is this a loophole?

Porsche Taycan Good Bye $7,500 tax credit! Screenshot_20220811-160032_Email

Last edited:

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Seems like it - since the bill language just says "binding contract", I suppose the thought is that a non-refundable deposit makes it binding, in the sense that you are obligated in some capacity because you will not get your deposit back.

"after December 31, 2021, and before the date 2 of enactment of this Act, purchased, or entered into 3 a written binding contract to purchase, a new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle (as defined in 5 section 30D(d)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code of 6 1986, as in effect on the day before the date of enactment of this Act), and"

TieCon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X - PLAID
Country flag
From other posts it seems like the technicality will be if the order demand fits the rules for the transition period. To my knowledge it hasn’t been decided upon as to what exactly will qualify. V070 status and the documents we sign technically isn’t a binding document. But I’m sure the dealer would be more than happy to make it so if that’s needed.

TieCon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X - PLAID
Country flag
Here is some official news re: 7500 tax credit (attached from PCNA). I am told that my deposit counts as a 'binding contract'

let's hope
Thanks for this. I am going to forward to my SA and see what they say. Not sure if it will in a sense default with initial paperwork, or it needs to explicitly state it's a binding contract to purchase.

MatrixBlind

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911
Country flag
What happens if someone gets into a binding agreement today before Biden has signed... Are they eligible for the the credit

babaloo

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S, '21 Taycan, '19 Cayenne. '20 580S
Country flag
The big question is what will be considered a binding contract. Will dealers do this?
My dealer said the deposit binder will work ..
Sponsored