whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Out of Spec Reviews just did a review of the Taycan's ADAS system. It seems the Innodrive part isn't really very useful, as it only adds speed limit detection and slowing for curves, and doesn't have the ability to be set for speed limit + X MPH (since most people in US drive above limit)

ALK seems a bit weaker than other cars at highway speeds - has some issues with ping-ponging and does get close to or leaves lane sometimes. Appears to be more of a lane centering assist, where it helps you to steer, as opposed to a system that steers for you (also makes sense since it's not capacitive and instead is steering torque based)

Overall not a huge deal given we bought these cars to drive, not for assistance systems, but think it's useful in determining whether these options are worth it. Personally it affirms that me only ordering ACC was the right decision. ACC is pretty simple, reliable and helpful in traffic, but it appears ALK isn't solid enough to be of meaningful assistance

Sponsored

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Agree on Innodrive.
ALK is nice but can't be trusted to the extent that Tesla Autopilot can.

ACC is the right idea; you can try ALK (or InnoDrive) after the fact via FoD!

I will say my main use case for ALK is stop and go traffic.

OP
OP
whan

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agree on Innodrive.

Thanks - I do plan to try the trial of ALK via FoD once I get it

Question, how aggressive is the ACC at follow distance? Wondering if in stop and go traffic if at minimum distance how big the gap is - IE will it invite other cars to cut in?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Question, how aggressive is the ACC at follow distance? Wondering if in stop and go traffic if at minimum distance how big the gap is - IE will it invite other cars to cut in?
Hmm. Good question, I can't say I've paid super close attention. I keep a pretty healthy distance to avoid rock chips. I haven't noticed it let people in during stop-and-go.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
and doesn't have the ability to be set for speed limit + X MPH (since most people in US drive above limit)
this is incorrect, you can set the innodrive for speeds well over the speed limit, I do not know what the max speed it can be set to but 80+ mph is possible. I turn off the speed limit recognition because it's data is often incorrect and I've only used it on interstates or fairly straight roads and have never experienced any sort of slowing for curves.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Wondering if in stop and go traffic if at minimum distance how big the gap is - IE will it invite other cars to cut in?
the gap can be set manually and it works just fine in the rare stop and go traffic that I've encountered

OP
OP
whan

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
this is incorrect, you can set the innodrive for speeds well over the speed limit, I do not know what the max speed it can be set to but 80+ mph is possible. I turn off the speed limit recognition because it's data is often incorrect and I've only used it on interstates or fairly straight roads and have never experienced any sort of slowing for curves.
Thanks - just to confirm, you can have innodrive set so it will adaptively change speed for speed limit, but also a certain additional mph above the sign? IE you can set it to do speed limit + 5mph, so if it detects a 55mph zone it'll go 60?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Thanks - just to confirm, you can have innodrive set so it will adaptively change speed for speed limit, but also a certain additional mph above the sign? IE you can set it to do speed limit + 5mph, so if it detects a 55mph zone it'll go 60?
not quite right, I turn off the speed limit recognition and then just set a speed that I want to travel at. I have zero experience using it because the speed limits are not very accurate and the car will randomly think that the speed limit is far lower than posted and will cause the car to slow down. I just don't use it because of that.

OP
OP
whan

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Got it yeah I guess I meant that the speed limit recognition component of innodrive isn't super useful since there are accuracy issues and can't have it set to go the speed limit + a certain MPH

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks - I do plan to try the trial of ALK via FoD once I get it

I find in cruising the shortest following distance is just a little too far for my liking... Although I havent had anyone try to cut in so maybe it's just right.

The car will know when you're coming to a stop and will pull in much closer, I would say a perfect stopping distance. The only down side is if the stop if longer than 15s, you have to tap the stalk or gas to make the car go again...i wish they set this a bit longer.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Agree on Innodrive.

I read somewhere that the FoD Innodrive doesn’t have the full functionality of the optional Innodrive from the factory, as it doesn’t have all of the sensors?

NYF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (not delivered yet)
Country flag
I just bought ALK as FoD, and I’m quite pleased with it so far. Its not as precise as Tesla’s, but it allows me to adjust speed setting above limit off highways as opposed to Tesla (at least in Europe), and it is far simpler to use with lane changes as it automatically engages again after a manual lane change (plus it doesn't make beeping sounds all the time).

Over all, I found it very relaxing and useful to drive with on longer stretches.

JonS1234

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Model S Plaid, Model X LR
Country flag
I just bought ALK as FoD, and I’m quite pleased with it so far. Its not as precise as Tesla’s, but it allows me to adjust speed setting above limit off highways as opposed to Tesla (at least in Europe), and it is far simpler to use with lane changes as it automatically engages again after a manual lane change (plus it doesn't make beeping sounds all the time).

Over all, I found it very relaxing and useful to drive with on longer stretches.
+1 on this. FoD for ALK and InnoDrive is the best way forward.

Reactions: NYF

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
I read somewhere that the FoD Innodrive doesn’t have the full functionality of the optional Innodrive from the factory, as it doesn’t have all of the sensors?
Yep, remember there being a thread on it though I wonder if it may relate to the LCA option. Selecting innodrive on the UK configurator mandated the addition of LCA. Is it possible to FoD Innodrive on cars without LCA? If so that may be the sensor disparity postulated. I added LCA as absolutely wanted it, but wasn’t convinced on Innodrive so I’ll do the trial at some point.

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
I'd really like to compare FoD Innodrive with factory Innodrive. I have the factory one and I really like it (it's basically the same as Audi's new Adaptive Cruise Assist). Turned off the automatic speed adjustment, besides that I use it with everything engaged.

The steering is very reliable in my opinion, through far sharper turns than I expected. It follows cars ahead accurately even when lane lines disappear (through crossings etc), and it's just nice that it is 'always on' once engaged and you can still make interventions.

If anyone in the wider Seattle area has FoD Innodrive, message me, and we can do some back to back comparisons.
Sponsored