Google, Porsche in talks over Google Apps access🤓

CarbonTax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Recently reported on Reuters, heads up privacy evangelicals...

Porsche (P911_p.DE) is considering fully integrating Google software into its car cockpit, a source close to the company said on Thursday, marking a shift in strategy for the newly listed carmaker.

The deal, which is only being considered for the Porsche brand and not the Volkswagen Group more widely, would enable Porsche customers access to Google applications like Google Maps and Google Assistant without needing to connect the car to an Android phone.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/...oogle-apps-access-manager-magazin-2023-01-12/
Sponsored

Rab88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
Volvo and Polestar have been doing it for a few years now. Google have a lot to learn when it comes to in-car systems, going by the current Volvo models ... They dumbed down the existing sensus system which annoyed a lot of loyal Volvo owners.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
Volvo and Polestar have been doing it for a few years now. Google have a lot to learn when it comes to in-car systems, going by the current Volvo models ... They dumbed down the existing sensus system which annoyed a lot of loyal Volvo owners.
but we aren’t talking about Volvo. We’re talking about Porsche software which is downright abysmal. If Porsche was willing to give up UX to google I’d consider getting a Taycan again.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Big brother needs to stay out of this realm - especially Google.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Google software is really good when it doesnt have to play nicely with any other software platforms. I dont think that will be fully achievable in an automotive environment, therefore you can count me out of Google-enabled PCM.

Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
I personally would love this. Wireless Android Auto is a massive battery drain and makes my phone hot. If all these things were just already integrated into the car, would be a much better UX.

Fall7St8nd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm personally more interested in deeper Apple integration... but am generally supportive of Porsche limiting the need to build their own software and leaning on Apple, Google, Amazon, etc. to provide a better overall experience design within their PCM.

Reactions: B61

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Google software is really good when it doesnt have to play nicely with any other software platforms. I dont think that will be fully achievable in an automotive environment, therefore you can count me out of Google-enabled PCM.
It's just adding Google Maps as an app, similar to Apple Music. It's redundant for me because I already use Google Maps on my Taycan via CarPlay. Only downside is not getting the map in the instrument cluster.

Edward

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Google Maps and Earth imagery have long been available in the Audi MMI. Cadillac Lyriq has built-in Google Assistant and Play Store, and I have not heard any criticism of that. Privacy settings are one tap away. This is a win-win because the automakers will never have software development as a core competency, excepting Tesla.
Sponsored