Catkin

First Name
Catkin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have my 4S delivered today and to much surprise i got a 22kw charger!
Ordered my car in february and 11kw was in spec. But i got this upgrade for free.

BR.
Sponsored

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Are you sure it's not charging at 22 kW DC rather than AC, since, you know, it has a 270 kW DC charger.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
That seems standard supply charger here in Europe. I got the same type 22 kW that will be installed today, but my car only accepts 11kW. Good to have for future models though so all installation will be prepared for 22 kW.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
Very interesting!
Using this capability in the USA requires 240 volt 100 amp three phase circuit which is not readily available in most USA homes and Condos.The available standard in the USA is the Nema 14-50 plug delivering 240 times 50=12 Kwatts of charging capability.This capability is close to the standard 11 KWatt charger in the 4S Taycan.Thus a 22 Kwatt charger as an option for the 21 Taycan makes little sense in the USA

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
EV chargers in the US are also derated by 20% due to continuous use requirements

NEMA 14-50 is a 50 amp circuit @ 240 volts - 12 kW
but you can only use 40 amps with an EVSE - so that’s 9.6 kW

also the J-1772 EV charging standard is the US covers upto a 100 amp breaker - or 80 amps of actual load. To my knowledge there is no revision for J-1772 that covers/specifies > 100 amp circuits for AC charging - but I could be wrong.

240 volts * 80 amps = 19.2 kW

to my knowledge that’s the maximum AC charge rate supported by the J-1772 standard

there are only two EVSE’s I’m aware of on the market than can supply that:
  1. Tesla Wall chargers gen1 & gen2 - they can be configured for 100 amp breaker (80 amp charge rate)
  2. Clipper Creek makes a 70 amp, 80 amp, and 100 amp EVSE
there are only two EV’s on the US market that can charge above 48 amps - both are from Tesla
  • Original Model S’s had a “dual” charger option - supporting 80 amp chargers (I know I owned a P85 and subsequently a P85D with this option and did charge at 80 amps)
  • Subsequent revisions of the Model S dropped the dual charger option, and were shipped stock with 48 amp chargers, but had a secret 72 amp option if you asked them
  • Model X shipped with 48 amps, but again could be optioned with a 72 amp charger (My wife’s 2017 Model X has the 72 amp option and we use it often - it charges soooooo fast).
  • Model 3 performance comes with a 48 amp charge rate (60 amp breaker)
I’m unaware any production EV you can actually purchase that supports more than 48 amp charge rate - most are 32 amps or less, and it’s a rare bird that supports 48 amps…

The north american Taycan appears to ship with the european 11 kW charger and several of us on the forum are happily charging our Taycan at the 60/48 amp charge rate, which exceeds Porsche’s official specifications of 9.6 kW for North America.

I have plugged my Taycan into my 100 amp Tesla Charger via a 80 amp TeslaTap and it does not charge at a higher rate - so 48 amps does appear to be the the Taycan’s supported limit at the moment.

So the maximum rate a US Taycan could charge at would be 19.2 kW - unless Porsche manufactured it’s own J-1772 charger and required > 100 amp breaker - 22 kW @ 240 volts requires 91 amps - 91 amps / 80% = 113 amp - so you’d need a 115 amp or 120 amp breaker and appropriate guage wire to support 22 kW charge rate. That’s extreme because a lot of homes have 100 amp breakes for the entire house, or 150 amp breakers.

since this charger would be greater than 50 amps - it would not be a mobile charger - it would be wall mounted hardwired thing…

my personal $0.02 is that once you’re above 60 amps - I’d really prefer a 17 kW Fast DC charger - which would require about a 80 amp breaker - and would by-pass the onboard AC charger on the vehicle…using the fast DC support which we all know is 50/150 kW for 400 volts, and 270 kW for 800 volts. 99% of US residential homes could only support a maximum of 15 to 17 kW fast DC charging, well below even the “slow” 50 kW maximum charge rate for most CCS based EV’s (Bolt, eTron, Taycan)

Sign me up for an 80 amp Porsche Fast DC charger - and they can even charge me tooooo much money for it :rock::like::clap::handsinair::involve: - right @Toby Pennycuff? you’d pay Porsche ungodly sums of money for a 17 kW fastDC residentical charger? right?

that would mean the limit of the onboard AC/DC rectifier would no longer matter and I could charge as fast as my home residential power supply would allow me.

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
that would mean the limit of the onboard AC/DC rectifier would no longer matter and I could charge as fast as my home residential power supply would allow me.
Dig in here and you might find what you need? Like this one:

Porsche Taycan Got a 22kw charger in Estonia 1614303897229