Got Hit In the Parking Lot

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I got tagged in a parking lot about 6 weeks ago. No note left. I took it to the dealer for advise and they told me to take it to a body shop. I ordered the new parts and scheduled some bumper repair with body shop (8 weeks out). Looked very minor but all told it will be about $2k. Makes you want to puke🤮
20230207_155755.jpg
Looks similar but not as bad as mine. Person did leave a note luckily, so I went through their insurance. ~$2.5k later at a body shop, good as new!

Porsche Taycan Got Hit In the Parking Lot IMG_7164.JPEG

Porsche Taycan Got Hit In the Parking Lot IMG_7290.JPEG

Tighlines

First Name
Klint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 panamera turbo, 2023 taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Looks similar but not as bad as mine. Person did leave a note luckily, so I went through their insurance. ~$2.5k later at a body shop, good as new!

IMG_7164.JPEG

IMG_7290.JPEG
I got 'lucky' in a shitty kinda way. The plastic ferring and the PPF took most of the blow, not too much paint damage and the wheel and the head light were just barely missed. You definitely got whacked. It just sucks getting reminded of it every time I approach the car, being on the front driver's side. 2 more weeks till the repairs are done, can't wait.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
One of my Porsche dealers does. If that is a choice, I definitely would go OEM under the circumstances
The PCCC use OEM parts. The real advantage IMO is that you can work with an independent shop. Among other things, it means you may avoid a Carfax on relatively small damage. "Stealer" repairs it and your car will have damage history.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
The PCCC use OEM parts. The real advantage IMO is that you can work with an independent shop. Among other things, it means you may avoid a Carfax on relatively small damage. "Stealer" repairs it and your car will have damage history.
To each his or her own. I have always had great luck with my dealer. Not a stealer. Top quality work and guaranteed new oem parts. I’ve had friends use independents to find out later that oem parts were actually used/stolen.
Of course, there are great and lousy dealers, just like there are great and lousy independents, so painting either group with a broad brush doesn’t make sense.
If someone else’s insurance is paying I definitely would go to dealer to minimize fights about the estimate. In my experience, insurance companies tend to challenge estimates by dealers less than they challenge estimates from independents. That was the basis of my comment.
If you were paying yourself, the choice becomes less clear since the Taycan is not collectible.
For my club coupe, I always use the dealer for everything so that I have official Porsche maintenance/repair records since it is collectible. I know I could pay less for oil changes at an independent, but the records are worth it to me.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
To each his or her own. I have always had great luck with my dealer. Not a stealer. Top quality work and guaranteed new oem parts. I’ve had friends use independents to find out later that oem parts were actually used/stolen.
Of course, there are great and lousy dealers, just like there are great and lousy independents, so painting either group with a broad brush doesn’t make sense.
If someone else’s insurance is paying I definitely would go to dealer to minimize fights about the estimate. In my experience, insurance companies tend to challenge estimates by dealers less than they challenge estimates from independents. That was the basis of my comment.
If you were paying yourself, the choice becomes less clear since the Taycan is not collectible.
For my club coupe, I always use the dealer for everything so that I have official Porsche maintenance/repair records since it is collectible. I know I could pay less for oil changes at an independent, but the records are worth it to me.
Perhaps you read my post quickly. I was not recommending any independent repair shop. I was recommending a Porsche Certified Collision Center. In my experience, they have equal clout with insurers, since they are OEM certified. The PCCC is mandated to factory training, must have certain expensive specific tooling and are able to obtain certain parts that an independent shop cannot.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Perhaps you read my post quickly. I was not recommending any independent repair shop. I was recommending a Porsche Certified Collision Center. In my experience, they have equal clout with insurers, since they are OEM certified. The PCCC is mandated to factory training, must have certain expensive specific tooling and are able to obtain certain parts that an independent shop cannot.
Ok, I must have. We are basically saying the same thing. I would not work with a dealer that is not basically a PCCC. I’m not sure how that would work. Bottom line is that I personally am not concerned about connection with dealer. If I didn’t trust my dealer, I would not drive the cars that the dealer sells . . . That’s why I personally will not drive an Aston or a Bentley (among other reasons)

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not every city has them, unfortunately. And Porsche doesn’t restrict parts they sell to Indy shops.

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
Porsche of Tyson’s Corner (Penske).
Your experience may vary. I had the most awful experience at that shop. My 911 had an indicator light telling me my wiper fluid was low, and it wouldn’t go off. 4 trips to that dealer were required, and, of course each time I was assured the problem had been fixed. On the fourth go they wanted me to pay for their ineptitude. Add an insufferable, arrogant service rep to boot. They relented. It cost them my next new purchase, as I went to a competing dealership for the Taycan. I still fume thinking about it, as may be obvious. Steve

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Your experience may vary. I had the most awful experience at that shop. My 911 had an indicator light telling me my wiper fluid was low, and it wouldn’t go off. 4 trips to that dealer were required, and, of course each time I was assured the problem had been fixed. On the fourth go they wanted me to pay for their ineptitude. Add an insufferable, arrogant service rep to boot. They relented. It cost them my next new purchase, as I went to a competing dealership for the Taycan. I still fume thinking about it, as may be obvious. Steve
Understood. I deal with multiple Porsche dealers and they all find a way to get under my skin once in awhile. But that sounds like the mechanics shop, not the body shop, right? They are commonly owned, but they are managed separately.
In any event, I’m not meaning to shill on behalf of anyone: I just addressed because someone said that Porsche dealers do not have body shops. I know that at least some do, and I bet the OP’s damage may just need a part swap that doesn’t rise to body shop level.
And I bought my Taycan from Porsche of Arlington because Tyson’s wanted an insanely high deposit which annoyed me because I have bought multiple Porsches from them so they should know me. They said my order was too “unique”. Jesus.

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
Understood. I deal with multiple Porsche dealers and they all find a way to get under my skin once in awhile. But that sounds like the mechanics shop, not the body shop, right? They are commonly owned, but they are managed separately.
In any event, I’m not meaning to shill on behalf of anyone: I just addressed because someone said that Porsche dealers do not have body shops. I know that at least some do, and I bet the OP’s damage may just need a part swap that doesn’t rise to body shop level.
And I bought my Taycan from Porsche of Arlington because Tyson’s wanted an insanely high deposit which annoyed me because I have bought multiple Porsches from them so they should know me. They said my order was too “unique”. Jesus.
I have no problem with your post. Just sharing. Yes, my issue concerned their mechanic and an indicator light. I am not sure what general conclusion, if any, can be drawn from my particular experience.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Not every city has them, unfortunately. And Porsche doesn’t restrict parts they sell to Indy shops.
Not accurate. There are certain parts, that are related to the chassis and body, that PCNA will only sell to shops that have the their approved equipment. I never was told which parts and frankly hope I will never find out.

OP
OP
electric9925

electric9925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Anyone know any body shops I can go to that they can vouch for won’t try to squeeze as much money as possible near New Jersey? This one certified Porsche Collision Center quoted me for $4800 citing labor and calibration costing a few thousand. Even though the part itself if $500
Sponsored