Got my loaner Taycan, what an amazing car! Some pics and initial feedback…

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Older Tesla P85DL+, Shopping for a Taycan
Country flag
What a beautiful car1 it’s this cool white/gray colour that I’ve never seen before, what a great looking car! It’s a 4S with 562HP, Sport Chrono, lighting package, 150KW DC charger, PSD, InnoDrive, pano roof, and more. The steering feels so connected to the road, and so precise. I kept smiling in disbelief. The car drives so well and feels like such high quality, you just want to drive it, and drive it more!

My wife found a new rooftop restaurant to try, and it was hard just parking it. Out of site didn’t mean out of mind. My wife (again) loved the sound, and how precise it feels. She adjusted the steering position while driving in traffic, and used InnoDrive for almost 30KM, she loved it. InnoDrive is much better than I initially experienced on my test drive, partly because I was more relaxed at the wheel, not having to feel we where on the clock So to speak. The driver modes are so nice and easy to to access with that knurled knob, and the feel of that and the drive selector is unreal! As was the heated steering wheel button.

We stopped at another Porsche dealer to try out DC charger, and it was okay, It errored out the first time, then I tried again and it worked, I’m not sure if it was I pressed the button beside the charging port after inserting the charging nozzle? It charges FAST! Sport Plus felt great, and we really liked how range changed with the driving modes.

The range seemed better than what I’m used to; it dropped so slowly for some reason even thought when I was driving it I wasn’t in range mode or driving it for EV economy. It turned a few heads and really stands out on the road. The extra bit of attention was nice on a Saturday night. :)

I said 389KM at 99% charge. Coincidently our 85KWh Tesla ends up at exactly that number on a full charge, but as I said it doesn’t seem to drop as fast.

It seemed too big to fit in our standard garage, so I got out to guide my wife into the garage. There was a ton of room on both sides. She wanted to fold the mirrors in but she really didn’t need to, the car rolled in nicely albeit with a few warning tones.

I’ll report more tomorrow as we haven’t had a lot of seat time, but that’s going to change tomorrow!

Here’s a few pictures, not sure if I can upload videos, I guess I’ll find out now.
Porsche Taycan Got my loaner Taycan, what an amazing car! Some pics and initial feedback… IMG_3938
Porsche Taycan Got my loaner Taycan, what an amazing car! Some pics and initial feedback… IMG_3937
Porsche Taycan Got my loaner Taycan, what an amazing car! Some pics and initial feedback… IMG_3934
Porsche Taycan Got my loaner Taycan, what an amazing car! Some pics and initial feedback… IMG_0036

Porsche Taycan Got my loaner Taycan, what an amazing car! Some pics and initial feedback… IMG_3923

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Replying to my own message haha

Hi everyone, I woke up this morning hoping to read a few replies and reliced I didn’t post after I previewed, oops! Oh well, I hope you’re having a good Sunday so far. I went for a little spin in the Taycan, without my wife…what an exciting drive! Not that it’s not exciting with her, but nice to press the pedal a little further and longer, wow, is this a fast car! What a looker, it turns heads were the Tesla seems almost invisible, mini van like In how little attention it draws. The sound helps, it’s got a real presence on the road. Time to go for another spin, and plan a day trip somewhere today!

The range seems greater than the ”tank” indicates…should I be noting the odometer #’s? How many KM do you guys get in 20 degree weather with mixed driving? I guess there’s some resettable trip meters or something.

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Got my loaner Taycan, what an amazing car! Some pics and initial feedback… IMG_3943
It’s a pre-sales loaner just trying out the different charging options around the city, lots of fun!

this Taycan charges really quickly, even at fairly high SoCs!

Porsche Taycan Got my loaner Taycan, what an amazing car! Some pics and initial feedback… IMG_3945

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When it says 108 kW, isn’t that kilowatts per hour? It’s a charging rate isn’t it?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
When it says 108 kW, isn’t that kilowatts per hour? It’s a charging rate isn’t it?
correct

kW is charge rate (speed)
kWh is capacity (how much in the battery)

108 kW rate + 1 hour of time (plugged in) would be 108 kWh.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
When it says 108 kW, isn’t that kilowatts per hour?
No.
It’s a charging rate isn’t it?
Yes.

kW is already a rate. It’s power. It’s energy per unit of time. You wouldn’t add “per hour” to it, unless you were referencing rate of change of rate of energy.

kWh is energy. That’s what you are putting into your battery. That’s what you can add “per hour” to for discussing rate. But then it becomes kilowatt-hours per hour….which is just kilowatts.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Yes indeed. That is kw per hour not to be confused with kwh.
108 is not that quick. But like you mention your SoC is quite high. At 10 % SoC and preconditioning I get around 250-269 Kw. My range now is around 400 km on a full charge. On highway trips it is around 340 km. Have fun with the loaner !

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
No indeed. It’s not. It’s not kW per hour.
Thanks for correcting. Always confusing. Power and Energy. Had to do some review of my highschool physics. The hour in KwH makes it look like a charge speed while it’s not because Kilo watt is kilo joules per second.

Just to be clear besides the wrong terminology. A constant 100 Kw chargespeed would charge a 100 kWh battery in 1 hour (not considering charging losses and other variables etc) That was what OP was asking. Or am I still confused.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The hour in KwH makes it look like a charge speed while it’s not because Kilo watt is kilo joules per second.
Right. There’s already a time unit in watt. So kW per hour for charging is like saying mph per hour for speed.
A constant 100 Kw chargespeed would charge a 100 kWh battery in 1 hour (not considering charging losses and other variables etc) That was what OP was asking. Or am I still confused.
Yes. That’s correct.
x kW for 1 hour is x kWh.

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
Right. There’s already a time unit in watt. So kW per hour for charging is like saying mph per hour for speed.

Yes. That’s correct.
x kW for 1 hour is x kWh.
Technically... the charge rate above is 108 Kilowatt hours per hour, but since the hours term is in both the numerator and denominator it cancels out and you get 108 KW which makes perfect sense and also doesn't make any sense at all since measuring any rate of change needs to have a time component in the denominator.

Not that it really matters to anyone who isn't trying to pass freshman physics.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
also doesn't make any sense at all since measuring any rate of change needs to have a time component in the denominator.
Watt has a time component. It’s joules per second. So, it makes sense just fine.

Another way to look at watts is that it’s voltage times current. Voltage being energy per unit of charge and current being charge per unit of time. In their product, charge cancels out and you’re left with energy per unit of time. Which is power. Which we measure here in watts.

Or kilowatts ‘cause there’s a lot of them. 🙂
Technically... the charge rate above is 108 Kilowatt hours per hour
No. It’s kW. Just kW. No one anywhere who knows what they’re talking about would use kWh per hour. Sorry. kWh as a “convenient” unit of energy comes from the fact that we’re starting from power in kW and then applying over a certain time. So, we would not, ever, as reasonable people, go back to power as kWh per hour.

Not that it really matters to anyone who isn't trying to pass freshman physics.
I use this daily in my field of industrial control systems. And others should care so they can talk about the subject of charging their cars intelligently. Or not at all.

We don’t all have to be physicists or engineers (I’m neither myself), but let’s at least talk about kW and kWh correctly.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Contrarily, if we’re okay with useless units, I’m going to vote for the kilowatt-squirrel per squirrel (⚡🐿/🐿) for the official unit of power when discussing charging cars.

🪫+ (⚡🐿/🐿) x ⏱ = 🔋

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This Taycan seems to charge *a lot* faster than my older 85kw Tesla
Sponsored