Got my loaner Taycan, what an amazing car! Some pics and initial feedback…

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Older Tesla P85DL+, Shopping for a Taycan
Country flag
Great to hear from a fellow Torontonians experience with the car. Can't wait for my 2024 gts end of summer!
Thanks I’m glad you’ve enjoyed my feedback so far. I’d like to recap and organize better but this is all I could do between drives. :)

2024 GTS? Wow, so nice! Is there a post I can read on it? These vehicles are so special, so different, they are hard to fully comprehend until you’ve lived with one for a few days or more.
Sponsored

Hawk

First Name
Addy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc C55 AMG, Audi Q7
Country flag

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Enjoyable thread OP.
👍
It's nice hearing someone get so excited when discovering the Taycan driving experience after owning a Tesla.

I think sometimes Tesla owners are unaware that other brands have not only caught up, but surpassed Tesla in many aspects nowadays.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
my mistake it’s 85kWh, thank you for correcting me. I will get this right! It got 404km when new now it does 389. Not bad after almost 8 years

What confuses me about the kw vs kWh is I remember P = E x 1 from ohms law many years ago. Power (watts) = electromotive force (V) x current (I) I don’t see a unit of time in there.

But I looked up the definition of a watt, and it says joules in a unit of time so maybe it does?
Keep it simple.

Power is kW and used when talking about charging or the electric motor.
Energy is kWh and used when talking about the battery size or changing level.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Keep it simple.

Power is kW and used when talking about charging or the electric motor.
Energy is kWh and used when talking about the battery size or changing level.

So basically: I went to a 50kW charger and loaded up the car with 55.86kWh after a little over 70 minutes charging. The charging rate would vary between 47.3kW and 49.7kW during the whole time

Would this be correct?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Contrarily, if we’re okay with useless units, I’m going to vote for the kilowatt-squirrel per squirrel (⚡🐿/🐿) for the official unit of power when discussing charging cars.

🪫+ (⚡🐿/🐿) x ⏱ = 🔋
I loved using Newton per acre for pressure just for fun.
I used to document my underbody pressures on the ground effect F1 car thus, so if a piece of paper got lost or stolen it was very unlikely to mean anything to the opposition.
I love having fun with units, but I have Asperger’s

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My physics teacher once said he used furlongs per fortnight to describe speed...funny!

I think I've got the units down. My present car battery is 85 kwh
sometimes I charge it at 71kw, though the car is rated for 120kw. :)
At home I charge at up to 88km/hour, or 240Vx88A or 21,120kw.
There we go! (I like the extra info you get on the Tesla app/screens.
Maybe you get more into with the phone app but Taycan doesn't seem to tell you much.
Does anyone else crave more info?!

Porsche Taycan Got my loaner Taycan, what an amazing car! Some pics and initial feedback… charging rate

The Taycan doen't lose ANY power over night!

Porsche Taycan Got my loaner Taycan, what an amazing car! Some pics and initial feedback… No Phantom drain

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
My physics teacher once said he used furlongs per fortnight to describe speed...funny!

I think I've got the units down. My present car battery is 85 kwh
sometimes I charge it at 71kw, though the car is rated for 120kw. :)
At home I charge at up to 88km/hour, or 240Vx88A or 21,120kw.
There we go!
VxA=W, so 240Vx88A = 21.12kW

Now you sound like a regular electrical engineer geek talking EVs. :)

OP
OP

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Guys, want to share soom minor nick picks with my loaner:

1) the nav screen is too short, too much vertical scrolling
2) key presses seem a little laggy (sluggish computer?)
3) wireless charge is in a not to great spot for me. No good place to sit my iPhone. What’s the best wireless charging mount and where to stick it?
4) wireless charging seems really slow
5) for the size, car feels a bit cramped inside but big outside
6) rear floor hump
7) innoDrive won’t let to speed a bit, sometimes i like to do 15% over and I need to keep my foot into it. Small annoyance! It’s confusing to set sometimes until Tesla. Tap tap GO!
8) glovebox is really tiny
9) range seems really understated. It feels like 450km a charge but I can’t tell because it’s always going up and down. Not a bad thing but a bit confusing as too actual range. This isn't necesarily a problem, just not sure how many KMs I really get. My energy consumption was around 20kWh/100 km
10) CarPlay doesn’t auto route for traffic to save you time. For instance, once you lock into route it refuses to tell you to get off a jamp packed highway and takes parallel service road, etc. We sat on HW for 30m until I pulled off and took a parallel road that saved us 25m of trip time. Very hungry family in car who skipped lunch to drive around in new Porsche ! 😉
11) Chargers aren’t easy to spot on nav and don’t seem to come up on PSD screen
12) it’s made me hate my Tesla which now feels like a huge rc car and I no longer enjoy driving it. The dealer should have warned me.
13) car generates a lot of head turning which which can be distracting ;)

as you can imagine, the list of likes and loves are longer than my arm, will follow up with more of those but I already included some in mymessages. I’m a glass half full kind of guy.

Last edited:

Hawk

First Name
Addy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc C55 AMG, Audi Q7
Country flag
Guys, want to share soom minor nick picks with my loaner:

1) the nav screen is too short, too much vertical scrolling
2) key presses seem a little laggy (sluggish computer?)
3) wireless charge is in a not to great spot for me. No good place to sit my iPhone. What’s the best wireless charging mount and where to stick it?
4) wireless charging seems really slow
5) for the size, car feels a bit cramped inside but big outside
6) rear floor hump
7) innoDrive won’t let to speed a bit, sometimes i like to do 15% over and I need to keep my foot into it. Small annoyance! It’s confusing to set sometimes until Tesla. Tap tap GO!
8) glovebox is really tiny
9) range seems really understated. It feels like 450km a charge but I can’t tell because it’s always going up and down. Not a bad thing but a bit confusing as too actual range. This isn't necesarily a problem, just not sure how many KMs I really get. My energy consumption was around 20kWh/100 km
10) CarPlay doesn’t auto route for traffic to save you time. For instance, once you lock into route it refuses to tell you to get off a jamp packed highway and takes parallel service road, etc. We sat on HW for 30m until I pulled off and took a parallel road that saved us 25m of trip time. Very hungry family in car who skipped lunch to drive around in new Porsche ! 😉
11) Chargers aren’t easy to spot on nav and don’t seem to come up on PSD screen
12) it’s made me hate my Tesla which now feels like a huge rc car and I no longer enjoy driving it. The dealer should have warned me.
13) car generates a lot of head turning which which can be distracting ;)

as you can imagine, the list of likes and loves are longer than my arm, will follow up with more of those but I already included some in mymessages. I’m a glass half full kind of guy.
Lol

12) it’s made me hate my Tesla which now feels like a huge rc car and I no longer enjoy driving it. The dealer should have warned me

Yup.. Rc car... Now to break this to my tsla friends who think straight line is driving

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Lol

12) it’s made me hate my Tesla which now feels like a huge rc car and I no longer enjoy driving it. The dealer should have warned me

Yup.. Rc car... Now to break this to my tsla friends who think straight line is driving
I am sorry, but I know what you going through...

I never liked my MS90D, which cannot hold any corner. But after driving the Taycan TTS on the Hockenheimring in 2019, well I know what is physically possible, and how far removed T is from actually building a car.

Strangely enough, I drive a Zeekr 001 from Geely now. And even this heavy beast can hold corners almost as good as my Taycan. Pretty shocking. Now I know for sure, that T has no clue when it comes to cars!

My wife, after 7 years of driving MS90D, last week for the first time drove my Taycan. First thing on the highway she said: "Gosh, you don't feel the fast speed you're driving at all!" :)
Sponsored