Gravel/road debris causing damage to side skirts and bodywork

XXSXX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I have driven the car for only a few hundred kilometres and already have scuffs and marks from gravel/road debris on the sides, back diffuser and body work in wheel wells.

Car only driven on regular roads but with gravel and sand after winter. Driving on 21" Eagle F1s that pick up all debris. In my view the tires and 21" are simply a bad choice for the car on regular roads. Probably great for track but not normal driving. They also appear to be simply overly big for the car as they stick out from the wheel wells and hammer the car with debris.

This car feels like an iphone; good design and great tech but needs a cover for regular use.

Any one of you put any film on the side skirts, wheel wells or back diffuser?

Porsche Taycan Gravel/road debris causing damage to side skirts and bodywork 6B8BDDFC-DBF9-4057-9B09-1CD1BC3DE864
Sponsored

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
I noticed this with mine with Mission Es too. After 6000 miles, its already slightly unsightly. I can't imagine what itll look like at 30-40,000 miles.
I don't imagine you'd ever get film to stick to this piece- its textured plastic. Although it might be worth a try, whats the worst that can happen if it falls off.

pnw-ev-nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I'm not saying this has reached such a point, but there comes a point where concern about cosmetic wear and tear in wheel wells and black plastic trim becomes excessive.

Put another way - why would someone apply paint protection film over something that isn't painted?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Alternate take - if you want a painted look where there is currently plain patterned plastic get it covered with PPF once painted - painted my arches and are covered in PPF - just works and the resultant look simply night and day imo.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
My take - it's kinda genius to me that the road-facing parts are now plastic rather than painted, and cheaply replaced.
Agreed! I wondered for a long time why they didn't have an option to have it painted body color. I suspect that they understood that this would happen.

I also note that the shop that PPF'd my car did apply the PPF to the painted inserts on my car's Sport Side Sills.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Agreed! I wondered for a long time why they didn't have an option to have it painted body color. I suspect that they understood that this would happen.

I also note that the shop that PPF'd my car did apply the PPF to the painted inserts on my car's Sport Side Sills.
My assumption is this style of car sees a lot of leases, and making the easily-damaged areas cheap to fix lets them turn them around quickly.
Sponsored