Great Electrify America Experience

OP
OP
wemct

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
@wemct - thanks!
I did not precondition. My drive to the station was about 15 min and I did it in sports+ hoping to get a little heat into the battery. The battery was 72F when I started charging. i was thinking that the low soc of 24% would give the battery time to warm up. It actually got to 85 during the charge but the charge rate didn’t increase unfortunately.
What I saw during this weekend's trip was that the battery temp had a bigger impact than what I expected or remembered from my past charging sessions. Back in January when I did the reverse trip, the freezing temps and a cold battery definitely kept the rate low (I think I saw about 65 kW during the first sessions in the morning). 150kW is not bad for your battery temp and a SOC above 10%.
Sponsored

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
@wemct
This is PERFECT
TY for taking the time

My charging routine with the Charging NA app:
  • Identify the 350 kW charger
  • Verify that the charger screen is on (if not it is probably out of order)
  • Position the car in between chargers in case you need to use the adjoining charger
  • Plug cable into Taycan's DC port
  • The screen on the EA charger should show a spinning circle with a message that says Initializing Charging
  • Launch Charging NA app on my phone
  • Click on EA charger location
  • By this time the screen on the EA charger should present the price screen while waiting for you to initialize the session
  • On your phone after you click on the EA location, it should give you a list of the available chargers
  • Select the 350 kW charger (if that is what you are using) - select the 150 kW charger (if that is what you are using)
  • Identify the particular charger number
  • Press the Start Charging button on the Charging NA app
  • You should hear some clicking and whirling on the EA charger
  • The lower PCM screen should turn from gray to green
  • Click on the Miles/minute on the PCM screen if you want to switch to see the kW
  • When finished, press the green button on the Taycan DC port
  • After the button turns from green to white, you can unplug
Let's keep our fingers crossed that Plug and Play will be available through the EA network and for both 2021 and 2020 Taycans.

lubricious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Been reading that people tend to have less errors using the Charging app over the Porsche Connected app. However, I've used the Porsche Connected app successfully each time with only one failure. For that failure, I then tried the Charging app which did not work either. Figured it was a faulty charging pump. Drove to another EA station about 3 miles away and had no issues again with the Porsche Connected app.

I will say it's definitely frustrating when charging does not work.

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
What I saw during this weekend's trip was that the battery temp had a bigger impact than what I expected or remembered from my past charging sessions. Back in January when I did the reverse trip, the freezing temps and a cold battery definitely kept the rate low (I think I saw about 65 kW during the first sessions in the morning). 150kW is not bad for your battery temp and a SOC above 10%.
Thanks for the super helpful input. I'm driving back to Boston later this week and I'll try arriving at EA chargers with something closer to 10% SOC to hopefully get a charge rate above 150kw on the 350 plugs. The battery is generally in the 80-85F range during long drives so I'm guessing that temp should be pretty good for charging?

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I took off in my Taycan after a frustrating two weeks at work and used your list as a guide for a test at the nearest EA station. I was able to charge using the 350kW charger without any trouble at all, though I was starting at 73% SoC so I didn't get anywhere close to 270kW. Thanks a ton for the guide!

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
  • Identify the 350 kW charger
  • Verify that the charger screen is on (if not it is probably out of order)
  • Position the car in between chargers in case you need to use the adjoining charger
  • Plug cable into Taycan's DC port
  • The screen on the EA charger should show a spinning circle with a message that says Initializing Charging
  • Launch Charging NA app on my phone
  • Click on EA charger location
  • By this time the screen on the EA charger should present the price screen while waiting for you to initialize the session
  • On your phone after you click on the EA location, it should give you a list of the available chargers
  • Select the 350 kW charger (if that is what you are using) - select the 150 kW charger (if that is what you are using)
  • Identify the particular charger number
  • Press the Start Charging button on the Charging NA app
  • You should hear some clicking and whirling on the EA charger
  • The lower PCM screen should turn from gray to green
  • Click on the Miles/minute on the PCM screen if you want to switch to see the kW
  • When finished, press the green button on the Taycan DC port
  • After the button turns from green to white, you can unplug
Let's keep our fingers crossed that Plug and Play will be available through the EA network and for both 2021 and 2020 Taycans.
Question: Why do you use the Charging NA app rather than the Porsche Connect app which will also initiate an EA session?

OP
OP
wemct

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
The Charging NA app works me so I didn't see a reason to mess with it. I launch the app and the location appears. The Porsche Connect app has an additional step to open the map page. Until after this trip I had not looked closely at the map page of the Porsche Connect app. I didn't even have the charging location toggle enabled on the Porsche Connect map.
Sponsored