AyTifosi

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S, 2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Well, after months of waiting and way too many hours on the configurator, I'm heading in to meet the dealer and lock in my GTS order. Of course, who knows when I might see the actual car...

I love the iconic Gulf Racing colors, so I'm going for it. Am I crazy?

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNYZTUN3 (updated code)

Porsche Taycan GTS build - time to lock in Taycan GTS front1
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
It‘s great, but I’m missing ambient lights, maybe it’s part of some package in US?
I made a mistake, not opted them…not because of interior, but lights under the door are very useful if you park somewhere in dark places (as me)….

otherwise, colours are personal….so if you like what you’ve selected: go for it :like:

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I love the Gulf Racing colours, and for my Frozen Blue build toyed with a black or slate interior with orange seat centres and deviated stitching, but decided I was spending too much so went for the standard black/red leather which had enough colour for me though unfortunately not in my preferred orange.

OP
OP
AyTifosi

AyTifosi

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It‘s great, but I’m missing ambient lights, maybe it’s part of some package in US?
I made a mistake, not opted them…not because of interior, but lights under the door are very useful if you park somewhere in dark places (as me)….

otherwise, colours are personal….so if you like what you’ve selected: go for it :like:
Do you mean the "Porsche" puddle light? I thought about that.. I don't feel as though my 4S is 'dark' so it felt like the puddle light would be logo over kill.. although it might be cool for $330. Thanks for your feedback!

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
don’t know for “puddle”… in my configurator it is called ambient light.
when youmopen the door, you can see where you are going to put your foot….

OP
OP
AyTifosi

AyTifosi

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I love the Gulf Racing colours, and for my Frozen Blue build toyed with a black or slate interior with orange seat centres and deviated stitching, but decided I was spending too much so went for the standard black/red leather which had enough colour for me though unfortunately not in my preferred orange.
I have the bordeaux leather in my 4S and love it. I would have gone that way, however my wife doesn't think it would go well. She's wrong of course, but since she said yes to the car, I'm not about to argue :) I was like.. "Okay, if you want the chalk interior, can we do orange stitching?" And no, I haven't told her how much it is. Thanks for the feedback!

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Happy wife, happy life :whew: :like:

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
excuse my noob question here…. what exactly does “locking in” your build accomplish? Does it expedite your build on the order queue? Does it get you an allocation sooner if you don’t already have an allocation? Previously I just assumed “locking“ of your order just happens in due time on Porsche’s end based on factory logistics or when they decide to start production of your car, and the customer has no control over when the build becomes locked and when changes to the spec can no longer be made.

OP
OP
AyTifosi

AyTifosi

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
excuse my noob question here…. what exactly does “locking in” your build accomplish? Does it expedite your build on the order queue? Does it get you an allocation sooner if you don’t already have an allocation? Previously I just assumed “locking“ of your order just happens in due time on Porsche’s end based on factory logistics or when they decide to start production of your car, and the customer has no control over when the build becomes locked and when changes to the spec can no longer be made.
I paid a deposit a few months ago to secure a spot on the wait (allocation) list. Next I confirm my configuration (see the in the original post) - effectively I place the actual order for the car and can no longer change it. Up until this point I've gone from Frozen Blue to Mamba green (black leather/green stiching).. I don't know, 700 times? After lock in, I own my choices.

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
I paid a deposit a few months ago to secure a spot on the wait (allocation) list. Next I confirm my configuration (see the in the original post) - effectively I place the actual order for the car and can no longer change it. Up until this point I've gone from Frozen Blue to Mamba green (black leather/green stiching).. I don't know, 700 times? After lock in, I own my choices.
Oh so locking-in the build is just a self-imposed limitation to prevent indecisive customers from endlessly waffling between color combos and options selections, and has nothing to do with actual progress along the production queue?

I guess that makes sense because I too have gone from frozen blue to chalk to carmine red about 20 times this week alone, and let‘s not even talk about the interior combinations. Luckily, my SA has only had to change things 5 times since there’s probably a finite amount of times he checks his email inbox per day. The ability to lock in an order would certainly reduce their workload considerably.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Oh so locking-in the build is just a self-imposed limitation to prevent indecisive customers from endlessly waffling between color combos and options selections, and has nothing to do with actual progress along the production queue?
No- Porsche set the lock-in (a.k.a. freeze) date at the point on their plans that they need to know exactly how the vehicle is to be built.

thinkbusiness

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
So it doesn’t help to lock in faster from the customer perspective? Porsche is still going to add that time? How much time is this in general (after securing the allocation slot)

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
So it doesn’t help to lock in faster from the customer perspective? Porsche is still going to add that time? How much time is this in general (after securing the allocation slot)
Unfortunately, current circumstances (not just the war) make it risky to generalise at the moment, but I think my recent freeze date was originally 4 weeks ahead of scheduled start of production. Then the freeze date unexpectedly came forward by 2 weeks, so 6 weeks before build start (which hadn't moved). So, to avoid being caught out by the build getting locked unexpectedly early, it's best to finalise the spec as soon as possible (assuming that your dealer then updates the Porsche system for your order, for which they'd need to have an available build slot allocated from Porsche).
I'm not sure about the relationship of all that with securing allocations (hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply), which perhaps varies by country. I got the impression for the UK that Porsche allocates its planned production between dealers according to each dealer's order books and their historical sales figures. I'd guess they do that every 1-3 months, and do it for 6-12 months ahead (also my guess). Once your dealer tells you that your order is assigned one of their allocated build slots, they should have a provisional build date and lock/freeze date which they could share with you, on the understanding that Porsche's production plans can change.

thinkbusiness

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Ok thanks for your clear reply. Very logical. My expectation is that I will get a slot end of April. I will immediately lock in to avoid missing the freeze date mark. That way it won’t matter if Porsche brings it forward.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Ok thanks for your clear reply. Very logical. My expectation is that I will get a slot end of April. I will immediately lock in to avoid missing the freeze date mark. That way it won’t matter if Porsche brings it forward.
When did you pay your deposit?
Not sure how it works in Belgium, but unless you placed a deposit back much earlier in 2021 I think you’re unlikely to be getting a slot until much later this year.
Sponsored