Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
My OCD would kick in for fears of road rash / stone chips!
And significantly increased chance of death!
I would also consider this a little underhand and not sticking to the gentleman’s rules of a hypermiling efficiency challenge!
Sponsored

GlowRed

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sports Turismo
Country flag
I've owned my GTS Sports Turismo for 5 months. I never really noticed how it performed mileage wise until a recent long journey.

I was travelling 220 miles in a day, 95% of it on motorways, (110 miles each way) so I charged it to 100%. When I started the journey it stated just 206 miles available. Very disappointing.

I drove for 110 miles in Range mode and it displayed just 44% charge left. On the return leg I had to charge the car to ensure I could get home.

The details of the journey were:
Outside temperature 9.5°C

Range in car at 100% 206 miles
Range in car at 50% 101 miles
Range in car at 40% 80 miles

I've raised my concern with Porsche UK as the mileage is 25% less than advertised.

AutobahnGTS

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Model S 100D, Model 3P
Country flag
I've owned my GTS Sports Turismo for 5 months. I never really noticed how it performed mileage wise until a recent long journey.

I was travelling 220 miles in a day, 95% of it on motorways, (110 miles each way) so I charged it to 100%. When I started the journey it stated just 206 miles available. Very disappointing.

I drove for 110 miles in Range mode and it displayed just 44% charge left. On the return leg I had to charge the car to ensure I could get home.

I've raised my concern with Porsche UK as the mileage is 25% less than advertised.
I'd say there is little to no chance your complaint will amount to anything, and I am not quite sure I understand the problem at hand.
As per WLTP (where heating is turned off, and average speed is super low), the consumption of the GTS ST is 21 to 24kW/100k (or 2.98 to 2.57 miles per kWh). Your spec has the 21 inch wheels, which are very liekly the most inefficient choice, and so your consumption likely closer to the higher figure. Considering a net capacity of the battery of just under 84kWh, the expected range of mixed trip (so city and motorway) is between 217 and 248 miles. As aforementined, the large open rims on your car mean, you are liekly at the 217 miles, not 248 miles. Again, at low speed and without heating turned on, at an optimal temperature.

If you use the range calculator on Porsche's website for your particular model, a 90% motorway trip with only 5% city and 5% country road, and 21 inch wheels, at 10C, with the optional heating pump, the range given is: 195 miles

Although this range might be underwhelming for you, I do not see where Porsche advertised a signifiantly larger range than your exprienced circa 202 miles of range, given the circumstances and application. Especially not by 25%. Of course you can reach 300+ miles of range, when driving at 45 mph behind a truck, with AC turned off, at 20C outside temp. But that is not the application in your case.

Also, bear in mind that your driving greatly effects consumption. Uniformous driving is always more efficient than sharp accelerating and decelerating. Your speed greatly matters, the mode you used. And even external factors like wind (a wind still day will be more efficient, even for a round trip, than going out with a head wind and coming home with a tail wind), and elevation.

I'm pretty sure that with a few optimizations, the 220 mile round trip should be absolutely doable without having to charge.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

That's the point here - it is not less than WLTP figures, it's just you cannot drive as per these tests which as we all know are 100% not real world driving and are performed under laboratory conditions. No Trades Description angle here either in case you were pondering that too.

Your experience so far is mostly winter driving / cold temperatures and so all EVs perform poorly in terms of consumption. The range estimate will rise appreciably in warmer weather and notably consumption will decrease. Consumption of around 3.3 miles / kWh should be the minimum expected and equates to 259 miles - more than will be indicated via the battery display estimate - during the warmer months and 2.x when colder.

Remember also that your car cannot determine how you will drive (what speed, what cabin temp etc) in advance and so the estimate will constantly vary as you drive so as a general rule of thumb do not rely on the original estimate. You wouldn't do this with an ICE car and so an EV is no different.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag

What's your motorway cruising speed?
Hoping you are going to say 125mph!!
I am going to French Alps next week in a GTS with the inefficient RS Spyders (of course)
I am going to be 4 up but no roof additions this time and its a saloon so there is a
micro advantage over the ST. Hopefully I can get to 250 range if the temp gets to 20 degrees
on the continent and I back off your top end speed a bit.......??

AutobahnGTS

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Pretty unliekly you'll get significantly more than 12C anywhere in the French Alps (unless you count Nice towards that). Also, depending on which roads you take, the elevation of the roads around the french alps, as well as the wind is very unlikely to make a huge range easy to achieve.
However, 200 miles should be easily achievable, which probably means some 3 hours + until the first, and 2 hours and then some between charging stops. You stop for 20 minutes (including off and on ramp) and then are good to go again. Not really much of a hassle. Hardly takes longer than taking a leak, and getting a coffee.

GlowRed

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sports Turismo
Country flag
What's your motorway cruising speed?
Hoping you are going to say 125mph!!
I am going to French Alps next week in a GTS with the inefficient RS Spyders (of course)
I am going to be 4 up but no roof additions this time and its a saloon so there is a
micro advantage over the ST. Hopefully I can get to 250 range if the temp gets to 20 degrees
on the continent and I back off your top end speed a bit.......??
Motorway cruising was 70mph.

I'll be surprised if you get anywhere near 250 miles range.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
My range prediction is drifting up with warmer weather.
I assume it is based on current driving which is all country roads, a small amount in town and no motorways.
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo range was much more than initially indicated/expected on long drive! IMG_6469

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I assume it is based on current driving which is all country roads, a small amount in town and no motorways.
IMG_6469.png
That's more like it!

I think it's simply based on the warmer weather and more miles.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Motorway cruising was 70mph.

I'll be surprised if you get anywhere near 250 miles range.
Just noticed this!
No Pre warming of the battery this morning. Just been pottering around to work and stuff. A bit of motorway cruising. No optimal hypermiling.
Just jumped in and drove this lunchtime. It’s was 12.5 degrees C.
This is more like it.
That’s a 250 mile range. Nearly!
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo range was much more than initially indicated/expected on long drive! ECDD78F4-C222-4675-B1FC-54CD64C27779

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
IMG_6469.png
I've yet to see an estimate this high.
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo range was much more than initially indicated/expected on long drive! 1680250791063

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
193 miles at 69% as it sits right now. Just how hard do your drive that poor car? I know your answer - the way it's supposed to be driven.
I don't like paying for things I don't use. I paid for a Turbo. The most I have every seen at 85% was 186 miles. It was in the 160-something when I finished my cross country roadtrip, so it's actually going up (WA speed limits are not as high as most of the other states I traveled through). Than again, I've only had it for a month and half, ~4000 miles, so all winter'ish so far. Will switch to all-season tires soon too (maybe even this weekend if I feel like doing the swap).

Last edited:

AutobahnGTS

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
With 2‘000km, most of which was spent on the Autobahn, I have managed the car to show 321km at 100% or 199miles.
All of the riding has been done between 6 and 10C outside temp, 150kph with ACC wherever allowed, and otherwise 19kph above the limit.
With some riding around town thrown in, it means I am between 28KWh/100km and 31.5Wh/100kmh, when traveling mostly rather empty Autobahn.
That means, a realistic 300km is NOT achievable for me, when driving this way. I am usually pretty efficient when driving on the AB, having many years of EV experience under my belt. I drive most of the distance set on „Range“, try to accelerate and decelerate as little and as gently as possible etc.
The car charges fast enough to make this probably the faster strategy than limiting myself to 120kph top speed and probably dip below 25kWh/100.
IME, it’s better than my 100D for autobahn travel, but clearly not as good as the EQS 450+.
Not complaining, just reporting.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Having had the car for 3 months, it seems to get 230-250 miles for me, depending on conditions. 230 if it's raining and cold (for the bay area CA, around 40 degrees). 250 if it's relatively warm and dry. That's all using normal mode and not trying to specifically be efficient
Sponsored