RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do the majority of Porsche dealers handle PPF/ceramic coating/tinting? I didn't even know this is an option. And for those who do, do they actually have an in-house crew or do they just outsource the work? I'm curious how their work and price compare to the average shop.
My local dealer outsources to Xpel, I believe.
Sponsored

OP
OP
glacius

glacius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
To the OP. Can you tell me about the clear windshield protector? I do a lot of highway driving and think that would be a good add on for me.
To the OP. Can you tell me about the clear windshield protector? I do a lot of highway driving and think that would be a good add on for me.
I think most tint shops offer a clear protective film. Some states don't allow windshield tinting, so this becomes an attractive option.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Same for me. It is inconsistent. Heats up. Same with my X5. Up to a point where it was so hot the phone switched off. Tried it a couple of times in the Taycan. Can’t put it in while driving. And I have a cable for the kids in the back anyway. Much easier.
I have very little experience with wireless charging, but out of interest:

- does the phone make good contact with the pad? Or is it loose in the cubby for it?

- are you using a phone case? If so, what type?

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I have very little experience with wireless charging, but out of interest:

- does the phone make good contact with the pad? Or is it loose in the cubby for it?

- are you using a phone case? If so, what type?
Yes it is well fixed and screen facing out. I have the original IPhone 13 Pro silicone case. I had the same thing with an IPhone 12 in my X5. Only one that didn’t heat up and actually worked well was in the 640 GT before that. But tbh in the Taycan I wouldn’t use it anyway. The IPhone 13 battery is good for a day of use unless I navigate on the phone and than I just use the cable. Getting it In and out isn’t practical either. Maybe this is a good thing as I never touch my phone while driving.

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder
Country flag
That's what I did, too. I told my SA (Sales Associate) that I was going to install clear front side markers and get window tint, PPF, and ceramic coating right after taking possession.

Much to my surprise, he said
I can have that all done here before you pick up the car. The clear markers were $200 installed. After we worked out the specifics*, he quoted me the price and it was in line with other quotes I received. These "dealer-installed options" were added to the bill of sale, and I didn't have to worry about dings, chips, and bug splat on my first drive home.

Enjoy your GTS!

*Tint: darkness, name brand, %UV protection, %heat rejection, warranty (I did Xpel nano 35% $700)

PPF: whether to do front bumper, full-front, or full-body (I did Xpel Ultimate full-front $2000)
Full-body Ceramic: whether to do single or double-coat (I did double Opti-Coat $1800. Single was $1400.)
Gig Em!

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Beautiful car ! Enjoy

I got clear markers delivered to my PPF installer, from suncoast and he replaced them for free.

I went to a specific a PPF installer, because the dealer prices for PPF and Ceramic were thrice as high.

Now, I’m planning to add the blackvue dash cam (porsche dealer : 3,750) (ppf installer: camera price (500) + installation ($350) 🤦🏻‍♀️ Some Porsche dealers have crazy markups on these services and they scare you about driving to another PPF facility. Believe me, worth a check :))
I know the dealer price is high for the dash cam install, but please be careful because you will likely void certain warranties by installing your own dash cam, especially on an electric vehicle.

I had a Cayenne Coupe E-hybrid and had a battery issue with it. Without doing any diagnostics, they said that it is likely my dash cam and they couldn't warranty and I'd have to pay $4000 for a new battery. They went ahead to do diagnostics to see what the dash cam draws off the battery and it was literally nothing. They could not establish a concrete link between the dash cam and the battery failure, but they still said that any car that has a dash cam or other non-porsche installed modules that are connected to the battery in some way will void warranty.

They ended up replacing the battery for me on a good will basis because I had purchased 3 vehicles in 5 months but said that next time, they would not.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I know the dealer price is high for the dash cam install, but please be careful because you will likely void certain warranties by installing your own dash cam, especially on an electric vehicle.

I had a Cayenne Coupe E-hybrid and had a battery issue with it. Without doing any diagnostics, they said that it is likely my dash cam and they couldn't warranty and I'd have to pay $4000 for a new battery. They went ahead to do diagnostics to see what the dash cam draws off the battery and it was literally nothing. They could not establish a concrete link between the dash cam and the battery failure, but they still said that any car that has a dash cam or other non-porsche installed modules that are connected to the battery in some way will void warranty.

They ended up replacing the battery for me on a good will basis because I had purchased 3 vehicles in 5 months but said that next time, they would not.
Ouch! I wonder what they would have said if you had the Porsche dashcam.

Here in the USA, we have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 (link) which, among other provisions, prohibits product manufacturers from conditioning consumer warranties on the use of any original equipment part or service. Looks like there's an equivalent in Canada:
Porsche Taycan GTS (USA) – my thoughts after 10 days 1655912609412

Swede-ish

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Land Rover Defender 110, BMW 530e
Country flag
Do you have a heads-up display? I'm considering windshield PPF but wonder if it might interfere with the HUD somehow...
It doesn't. I had the front wind shield protected right away - tired of freeway junk shooting up and causing cracks and dings. My GTS has heads up, and it works just fine.

OP
OP
glacius

glacius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Do you have a heads-up display? I'm considering windshield PPF but wonder if it might interfere with the HUD somehow...
Yes, I have HUD and can confirm that the windscreen protector has no impact on it.

Reactions: X88