glacius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Greetings! I have been reading this forum for about nine months. Now that I have picked up my vehicle, I decided to start posting. As others have commented, this is a wonderfully supportive, ego-free environment, and I am grateful to the many people whose comments helped in my buying process.

Here’s my build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNR53YI5, and a few pics in different lighting:

Porsche Taycan GTS (USA) – my thoughts after 10 days IMG_7552

Porsche Taycan GTS (USA) – my thoughts after 10 days ima

Porsche Taycan GTS (USA) – my thoughts after 10 days IMG-20220607-WA0001

I have been driving my GTS for 10 days now. Here are my thoughts:

Background
This is my first EV, and it’s a big step up from my last vehicle, which was an Audi S3. My closest reference point is test driving my friend’s 911 Turbo. I’ve been a passenger in multiple super cars.

Buying Process
I placed my order in early December 2021 and took delivery at the beginning of June 2022. I feel I got very lucky in terms of delays: the supply chain/Ukraine issue around the wiring fasteners only cost me a few weeks. I had to put down a $10k deposit because my initial build was Frozen Berry. After seeing a vehicle with a similar color, I cooled on it, and switched to Mamba Green. I then concluded that Cherry Metallic is gorgeous and sophisticated, so settled on it.

Add-ons
Full PPF front, ceramic paint (whole car), tinting, clear windshield protector. Also bought the Porsche trunk and frunk liners, and replaced the ugly yellow markers with clear versions (dealer kindly installed those before I picked it up). I opted for the wheel, ding and interior/exterior insurance from Porsche (I got the latter half price).

Snapshot
Awesome vehicle. Such fun to drive.

What Pleases Me
  • Acceleration and handling are dreamy
  • I have not driven any other Taycan models, but I can say that, for me, the GTS is not too stiff at all
  • Rear Axel Steering is indeed a “must-have”, IMO
  • The look of the car, especially from the front. I feel it’s sophisticated, imposing, and mischievous
  • Cleanliness of the EV – I don’t think I can ever go back to ICE
  • Massage seats. As another user commented, I have them permanently set to maximum, and would be happy if they were more intense
  • Quality of the Club Leather. Luxurious feel of the interior
  • Surround view, parking cameras, and all other tech that assist safety: I feel very safe in the vehicle
  • Launch Control. I only use it *before* meals!
  • It's super quiet in the cabin (I have the thermally insulated glass)
  • Remote cooling. Very useful at this time of the year
  • Storage space: plenty of room in the trunk, and the frunk is the ideal size for my errand-running
  • The experience with my dealer was excellent. They did not mark it up from MSRP, as a policy, and were very helpful at every step of the process

Frustrations/Concerns/Issues
  • The brake wear light came on after less than a week. I am booked to get it looked at next week. I haven’t noticed any effects, but it’s a nuisance
  • There was a puddle of liquid beneath the battery as I charged over the weekend. Most likely it was condensation, but I read that one driver had a similar issue and it could be an AC leak. I’ll get it checked to put my mind at ease
  • The first time I charged at Electrify America, it disconnected after 5 mins. I tried again, and it again disconnected. I moved to a different charger, and it worked, uninterrupted. However, the speeds are frustrating: the fastest I’ve received is 156Kw (from a 150Kw charger). The 350Kw charger gave me about 95Kw and slowed to just 5Kw. I get the impression that fast charging at EA is a bit hit and miss, and certainly takes patience
  • It seems to be random as to if I get notifications from My Porsche about my charging: sometimes I get push notifications about it, and other times I will do a whole session and not receive any
  • Quite a few minor technology glitches. For instance, the first time I closed the trunk and used the lock option, it did the exact opposite – it turned the vehicle on. That seems to have been a one-off: now it locks, as intended
  • On about day 5 the center console would not turn on. I could still use the lower screen control panel (AC) and the screen behind the wheel was on, but not the main one
  • I saved a Smart Lift location that I use multiple times per day. On one occasion it did not lift (I was under 15mph). Oddly, even when it does lift, if I go above 15mph AFTER it has lifted, I get a message informing me that Smart Lift cannot work because I am going above 15mph. My default mode is Lowered, by the way
  • Sometimes Android Auto takes a while to connect. Occasionally it does not connect without me turning off Bluetooth on my phone, then on again, and actively seeking the connection
  • The car shipped without the “electric” logos I had optioned (for free). Apparently, Porsche are out of them, with no timeline on when they’ll be back in
  • The wireless phone charger does not work, for it lacks a part that is on back order
  • The nature of the EV is that I can easily do 90mph almost without knowing it, certainly when compared to the corresponding feeling at 90mph in an ICE car. That’s a bit of a concern

Options I Would Leave Off If I Were To Re-Order
  • Night vision is very cool, but not worth $2k
  • Getting the center console in leather for $1,710 was also unnecessary
  • I probably wouldn’t bother with the passenger display next time
Satisfaction Score
8/10. It’s not quite ready, but the glitches are easy to overlook due to the performance and comfort.

I would be happy to answer any questions. Thanks again for everyone’s useful input 😊

Last edited:

BurntToast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1986 944 turbo and 2022 Taycan GTS (soon)
Country flag
Did you order the clear side markers and have the dealer install or did they acquire them?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to ask without incurring an additional fee.

Additionally, did the dealer handle PPF? If not, did you drive straight to the shop, or?

OP
OP
glacius

glacius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Did you order the clear side markers and have the dealer install or did they acquire them?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to ask without incurring an additional fee.

Additionally, did the dealer handle PPF? If not, did you drive straight to the shop, or?
The dealer ordered them from Porsche Parts, and installed them for me. He also handled the PPF, etc. - with no mark-up.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
The dealer ordered them from Porsche Parts, and installed them for me. He also handled the PPF, etc. - with no mark-up.
That's what I did, too. I told my SA (Sales Associate) that I was going to install clear front side markers and get window tint, PPF, and ceramic coating right after taking possession.

Much to my surprise, he said
I can have that all done here before you pick up the car. The clear markers were $200 installed. After we worked out the specifics*, he quoted me the price and it was in line with other quotes I received. These "dealer-installed options" were added to the bill of sale, and I didn't have to worry about dings, chips, and bug splat on my first drive home.

Enjoy your GTS!

*Tint: darkness, name brand, %UV protection, %heat rejection, warranty (I did Xpel nano 35% $700)

PPF: whether to do front bumper, full-front, or full-body (I did Xpel Ultimate full-front $2000)
Full-body Ceramic: whether to do single or double-coat (I did double Opti-Coat $1800. Single was $1400.)

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
Do the majority of Porsche dealers handle PPF/ceramic coating/tinting? I didn't even know this is an option. And for those who do, do they actually have an in-house crew or do they just outsource the work? I'm curious how their work and price compare to the average shop.

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Beautiful car ! Enjoy

I got clear markers delivered to my PPF installer, from suncoast and he replaced them for free.

I went to a specific a PPF installer, because the dealer prices for PPF and Ceramic were thrice as high.

Now, I’m planning to add the blackvue dash cam (porsche dealer : 3,750) (ppf installer: camera price (500) + installation ($350) 🤦🏻‍♀️ Some Porsche dealers have crazy markups on these services and they scare you about driving to another PPF facility. Believe me, worth a check :))

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
Great write up. Glad you’re enjoying the car :)

Porsche probably did you a solid missing the “electric” stickers. You wouldn’t buy an ICE car and plaster “petrol” on the side.:giggle:

Looks way classier without them imho.

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
I have had no real glitches (spotify is not the most reliable). Only comment is the interior is not "luxury" - it is nicely put together and functional, but not wow. Lots of plastic around (the worst is next to the back seats). Also the grab handles are the CHEAPEST! Why Porsche?

Abe

First Name
Abdallah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
  • The car shipped without the “electric” logos I had optioned (for free). Apparently, Porsche are out of them, with no timeline on when they’ll be back in
This is funny to me because in my country those come standard on every Taycan with no option in the configurator to remove them. I had my ppf installer remove them.

BurntToast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1986 944 turbo and 2022 Taycan GTS (soon)
Country flag
I'm going elsewhere for PPF. The dealer offers the service but the product is subpar and I truly believe application is an art form left to experts who do this for a living.

ccyr15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (upcoming), RX450H, Ram 1500
Country flag
Do the majority of Porsche dealers handle PPF/ceramic coating/tinting? I didn't even know this is an option. And for those who do, do they actually have an in-house crew or do they just outsource the work? I'm curious how their work and price compare to the average shop.
The luxury dealers around me seem to outsource to local installers. Lexus uses the same people I usually use.

I forgot to ask our porsche dealer who they use.

jrmuppet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Volvo XC60
Country flag
I was pleasantly surprised that my dealer switched out the amber for clear markers. I was going to order them myself but did not get around to it. When I picked up the car they had already done it.

They also handled the PPF. They outsource to a reputable local company.

I also did not have to pay above MSRP.

Def recommend Porsche Westwood.

Deleted member 6348

You need to navigate to the Electrify America chargers using the PCM. This will properly prep/warm the battery for charging. I consistently see north of 200kw when charging below 50% on a EA 350kw charger. By consistently, 16 times in row over the past two weeks alone.

Other notes:
  • There will be condensation. Not unusual at all.
  • The brake wear indicator is something dumb. I wouldn't sweat it. Should be a quick remedy.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
  • There was a puddle of liquid beneath the battery as I charged over the weekend. Most likely it was condensation, but I read that one driver had a similar issue and it could be an AC leak. I’ll get it checked to put my mind at ease
  • The wireless phone charger does not work, for it lacks a part that is on back order
Most likely normal A/C condensation. Don't get your hopes up for the wireless phone charger - it sucks. There is a thread here about it. Phones overheat in it. I use the ports in the back seat and they're wonderful. iphone charges really fast.
Sponsored