First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Audi A7, Mercedes ML350
Country flag
Agreed, especially from that angle.
right? really unbecoming... shocks me a bit...to develop all the positive engineering (what I consider the hardest part), and then top that delicious automobile sundae off with an anchovy. ;) But to each their own.
Sponsored

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hmm, cannot agree at all. Even when I do lots of short trips, I do not want to plug in every other day - unless fully automatic and always working!

I expect a bit more from a car, so I like range and reduced weight. Why pick the one over the other?
I totally agree. Charging the battery is not good for it, and neither is being at a high state of charge. If you can go 2-3 weeks without charging and not keep the battery at 80%+ state of charge, that’s a win in my book. The extra range for the occasional road trip is icing on the cake. Hopefully they get the styling figured out because that is one ugly car.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I totally agree. Charging the battery is not good for it, and neither is being at a high state of charge. If you can go 2-3 weeks without charging and not keep the battery at 80%+ state of charge, that’s a win in my book. The extra range for the occasional road trip is icing on the cake. Hopefully they get the styling figured out because that is one ugly car.
I plugged in my 2012 Model S every night for the 8 years / 100,000 miles I owned it, with a target charge at around 80%, except for any long trips where I would charge to 100%. At the end, the maximum range (according to the computer) had declined from 265 to 245 miles at 100%. Plugging in daily isn't a problem. As you point out, dwell at high (>90% SOC) is detrimental.

300 miles (real, accurate, usable) range at real highway speeds (65+) seems to me to be the proper target. More than that is just adding weight and cost. My opinion.

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
Tough audience! I'm a Lucid fan. Long visits to the Lucid Studios in New York and San Jose have left me very impressed. I've been a reservation holder for over a year now.
  • Looks better in the flesh. Cutting edge aero has a price. Seen the EQS? This is better.
  • Whacky trunk opening not that noticeable, but seems an unnecessary design indulgence.
  • Interior design is stellar except for the Model X style windshield, which I do not like at all.
  • The interior is unbelievably spacious for a car that is externally almost identical to the CT.
  • A step change in efficiency compared to the best in the business, Tesla.
That said, I've become a bit soured by the production delays accompanied by a constant stream of hype. Along with that, I have doubts they can, at least initially, make a car of the quality Porsche/Audi can. Honestly, if the quality is good and the Touring model were available by 2Q 2022, I'd have one over the Taycan.

500+ miles EPA range is an admirable milestone and one not easily achieved. They now have some serious credibility. It would be awesome to plan around that kind of range.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The Lucid Air (like the Model S) is an EQS (or S-class) competitor. I still don't understand cross shopping a Taycan with either.
Well, maybe there is a reason Porsche made the Taycan almost the same dimensions as the Model S? 8+ years with 4 Model S here, switching to Taycan CT Turbo (if Porsche can sell me one before I find a better alternative). I test drove the original Taycan but didn't love it's transmission shifts and truck access, couple of years later CT comes out with smoothed out transmission. It's a comparable car to me (obviously with some added benefits, or would not looking to spend $50K more than what I could get a new Model S Plaid for). If Lucid looked better and was an established car company, I might be looking at the Air with 1111hp. EQS is still a possibility, a bit slow for my taste (switching from a car which can do 2.9s 0-60 without launch mode), but if Porsche keeps experiencing supply delays, who knows - it does have some redeeming features, though I've never before wanted to buy a Merc.

Anyways, my point is, I bet a number of Taycan drivers today have been switching from the Model S.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
?
Range is not the problem. Charging rate and infrastructure are the problems.
Exactly. Realistic (worst case weather) 200 mile range should satisfy the majority of drivers today. Most people don't mind a 20-30m stop every 3 hours on long haul trips. I've driven my 265m EPA rated miles Tesla coast to coast and it was fine (ok, I could have used 15% more battery so I didn't have to wait so long to charge past 90% charge, but that's because I like to drive fast, and at 100mph cruising my 265m car did 142 miles from 98% to 3% charge, and I had to slow down the last 10-15 miles to make sure I make the next charger). Of course back in 2014, 200 miles was not sufficient as there were not enough chargers around, I remember visiting a friend and frantically looking for a charger so my car can make the next supercharger. I'm hoping EA today is at the same state of deployment as Tesla was in 2017, which is when I 200 miles of realistic mileage became sufficient for me. Oh, and 80A charging also helped about 2-3 times a year, before COVID-19 that is.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My use case is a bit different because:
  • I take frequent road trips and spend a fair amount of time above 70 mph which isn't great for range.
  • I don't have a charger at home. Public charger accessibility is a must for me. Lower range means more charging sessions.
Again, I knew what I was getting into when I got the car. Not complaining. Just saying that if Porsche could 2x its range without sacrificing performance, I'd be a pretty happy camper. Until the Lucid dude told me otherwise, I had no idea that the 500+ range was anything more than a pipe dream.
But you must have known higher range was possible on a Tesla, yet still went with the Porsche, so range is not your top priority.

There will always be use cases for high range, but those are not common. That means is that designing for those will be hard to justify financially, as not that many people are willing to pay more money for the higher range, and the development cost has to be amortized over sales. Btw, if range is top of your priorities, you can probably get a much longer range Tesla Semi for the same money you paid for a Taycan Turbo S. Without a trailer, you will be able to beat the Lucid Air range, are you on the waiting list? ;)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Had an interesting chat with some dudes from Lucid test team Lucid-Air-169Gallery-5f3836c-1722009

Sorry, no way I'd ever buy a glass car. Instrument cluster a copy? :giggle:
Sponsored