Had my first EV experience….(Tesla)

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Greetings all.

I’m currently visiting some friends in San Francisco and had the opportunity to use Turo to rent a car for a couple of days. I decided to get a model 3 since I have no first hand experience with EV’s up to this point and have a GTS on the way. I can definitively say that I am not a fan of how teslas drive. The one pedal driving is way too aggressive and I hate how it changes the driving dynamics. What makes it worse is that you can’t toggle it on/off or adjust the aggressiveness of the regen. I also REALLY disliked going into the huge tablet for every little thing. It took me 5 minutes to figure out how to adjust the AC controls. I like to think I’m pretty tech savvy, but there is a reason why automakers have physical controls and buttons for certain things. It was night and day compared to my (brief) test drives with the Taycan. I’m definitely glad that Porsche didn’t try to copy Tesla with it.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
regen on the Tesla can be "lessned" but not turned off - I"ve also found you get used to it - not unlike the engine braking I experienced with my rental car stick shift in iceland for the past 8 days

but to each their own - you have to live with an EV for longer period of time before Tesla's advantages become clear, but their disadvantages are on display right off the bat- the Taycan is the reverse - it's a better initial "hit" but over time the lack of tech savyness "wears" on the owner…

both companies could learn a thing or two from the other...

also a lot of Tesla's stuff can be handle by voice command - and the the steering wheel buttons are quite capable so the lack of buttons over time turns out to be less of an issue in my opinion.

Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I also REALLY disliked going into the huge tablet for every little thing. It took me 5 minutes to figure out how to adjust the AC controls. I like to think I’m pretty tech savvy, but there is a reason why automakers have physical controls and buttons for certain things
Welll… AC controls are pretty hidden in PMC as well :giggle: ….
are you sure thst you tested Taycan? :angel:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
there is a reason why automakers have physical controls and buttons for certain things
Whatever that reason is…Porsche didn’t have it for the Taycan. Almost everything is touch screen! Even the vent direction! There isn’t even a volume knob! (I don’t count the steering wheel)

It’s actually mostly all really functional (IMO), but the volume knob and vent direction drive me nuts.

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
Whatever that reason is…Porsche didn’t have it for the Taycan. Almost everything is touch screen! Even the vent direction! There isn’t even a volume knob! (I don’t count the steering wheel)

It’s actually mostly all really functional (IMO), but the volume knob and vent direction drive me nuts.
I got used to the loss of most controls, but, the vent thing is very annoying. Nothing wrong with physically moving the vents like on most every car. You basically have to come to a stop in order to make adjustments.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I got used to the loss of most controls, but, the vent thing is very annoying. Nothing wrong with physically moving the vents like on most every car. You basically have to come to a stop in order to make adjustments.
I just leave it on “focused” and deal with it. But I normally adjust vents for a more direct blowing than what focused provides.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Greetings all.

I’m currently visiting some friends in San Francisco and had the opportunity to use Turo to rent a car for a couple of days. I decided to get a model 3 since I have no first hand experience with EV’s up to this point and have a GTS on the way. I can definitively say that I am not a fan of how teslas drive. The one pedal driving is way too aggressive and I hate how it changes the driving dynamics. What makes it worse is that you can’t toggle it on/off or adjust the aggressiveness of the regen. I also REALLY disliked going into the huge tablet for every little thing. It took me 5 minutes to figure out how to adjust the AC controls. I like to think I’m pretty tech savvy, but there is a reason why automakers have physical controls and buttons for certain things. It was night and day compared to my (brief) test drives with the Taycan. I’m definitely glad that Porsche didn’t try to copy Tesla with it.
Exactly! Plus, when I test drove a Model 3 I felt and heard EVERY bump on the road - that's why my RWD has air suspension, acoustic glass, and 20" tires.

But the Tesla folks become buttonology experts and apparently it suits them fine. Can't knock that.

Tesla took a computer and built a car around it. Porsche built an electric driving experience and put a computer in it.

OP
OP
Atipical

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
To put my points more succinctly, the annoyance I have with the Model 3 is that the car treats itself like it's an iPhone. The Taycan - while certain controls are behind screens - treats itself as a car. I need an instrument cluster, and immediate access to controls (which the model 3 doesn't have.) If I wanted to change the AC in Taycan, I press the "buttons" on the dedicated screen. On the Model 3 I have to faff around with the tablet, find the submenu, and drag the bar instead of pressing a singular button - whether physical button or screen button. I just prefer a more conventional experience.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Curious - does hitting Max AC change the vent direction to Focused? I usually dislike direct air, except when trying to initially cool down

Also has anyone tested if you can use porsche voice control to change vents from diffused vs focused?

Don't have my car yet so just wondering how annoying the vent control will be. I don't mind the preset settings of diffused and focused but would want a fast way to toggle between them

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
@whan : I haven’t tried voice, but it’s easy to change from diffused to focused (or individual)…just two clicks.
(first, you hit on AC on lower screen, then you get image of cockpit on upper screen with listed all three options).

OP
OP
Atipical

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
I will say that I charged the car for the first time earlier today and it was laughably simple. Fingers crossed for using EA for my incoming Taycan…..

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Have to say despite some initial reservations, I have gotten used to the digital AC controls and TBH do not really adjust airflow that often if at all (the most obvious loss of a tactile input), but mostly fan spend and temp which are readily accessible in one simple interface on lower screen. That and I actually prefer the volume knob on the steering wheel as it again keeps my eyes focused forward - Same setup as on my prior M4 Vert - all personal tastes I guess.

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Have to say despite some initial reservations, I have gotten used to the digital AC controls and TBH do not really adjust airflow that often if at all (the most obvious loss of a tactile input), but mostly fan spend and temp which are readily accessible in one simple interface on lower screen. That and I actually prefer the volume knob on the steering wheel as it again keeps my eyes focused forward - Same setup as on my prior M4 Vert - all personal tastes I guess.
Agree 100%…personal preferences.
Sponsored