First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
That and I actually prefer the volume knob on the steering wheel
Yeah, but Porsche, for whatever reason, put the steering wheel all of the way over by the driver, which makes that volume wheel awfully inconvenient for the passenger to reach….

It’s not really an either/or though as my Macan has both (as do, I imagine, many other cars).
Sponsored

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Wait until you need to use homelink to open the garage door on the Taycan vs the Tesla, or using the rear camera on the Taycan. The navigation on Tesla is so easy to use and you can type when driving. On the Taycan? Good luck with that. Come back here when you get your GTS and update your view on the cars.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wait until you need to use homelink to open the garage door on the Taycan
Homelink is super confusing.

Half the time when I press the button the garage door opens and half the time I press the button the garage door closes.
Who knows which one is correct! 🤷‍♂️

The navigation on Tesla is so easy to use and you can type when driving.
I generally recommend one not type when driving. But to each their own.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Yeah, but Porsche, for whatever reason, put the steering wheel all of the way over by the driver, which makes that volume wheel awfully inconvenient for the passenger to reach….

It’s not really an either/or though as my Macan has both (as do, I imagine, many other cars).
and the center screen where AC is displayed has a passenger side +/- volume button set on bottom right, always up front and couldn’t be more convenient for the passenger to also control the volume if desired - what were those Porsche engineers thinking!? :)

Crap pic but only one to hand; vol +/- bottom right for passenger!
Porsche Taycan Had my first EV experience….(Tesla) 1658887160685

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
and the center screen where AC is displayed has a passenger side +/- volume button set on bottom right, always up front and couldn’t be more convenient for the passenger to also control the volume if desired !?
Couldn’t be more convenient? Is it the pinnacle of convenience then?

I disagree.

A dial of some sort would absolutely be more convenient. Or perhaps you’d prefer a touch screen on the steering wheel for volume buttons instead of your wheel?

I remember, around 2008, I put nothing but touch screens (save for emergency stop buttons) on a processing line. I learned my lesson.

Frequently adjusted (and especially analog) controls are often better as physical/tactile inputs, unless the touch screen offers some other added feature to the input that is not otherwise easily replicated.

Touch screens are great and have their place (and I continue to use them extensively).

But physical/tactile controls have their place also.

Last edited:

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Don't have my car yet so just wondering how annoying the vent control will be. I don't mind the preset settings of diffused and focused but would want a fast way to toggle between them
As mentioned by B61.

Its no biggie.

Press the a/c button (arrowed) at any time and the top screen pops up.

Porsche Taycan Had my first EV experience….(Tesla) 2022_PORSCHE_TAYCAN_EV_4-1-1024x566

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I just leave it on “focused” and deal with it. But I normally adjust vents for a more direct blowing than what focused provides.
Doesn't the Taycan at least allow you to save the vent settings to driver profiles? I always thought that would be the main advantage (rather than just copying Tesla) of electronically controlled vents. I'm asking since I'm planning to buy a Taycan but it's been barely over a year since I put down my first deposit, so ways to go before I get to test things out for myself.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Doesn't the Taycan at least allow you to save the vent settings to driver profiles? I always thought that would be the main advantage (rather than just copying Tesla) of electronically controlled vents.
I don’t know if it can be saved, as that’s not really my biggest problem with it.

I agree with @Fish Fingers that toggling between focused and diffused is easy enough.

The individual settings have two issues though.

One is the difficulty of adjustment. I can adjust manual louvers without looking at them. I can’t do that with the current UI for adjusting individual vents. This one could be solved with saved settings though, as I don’t adjust vents often once set, So, this is less of an issue.

However, the second one is that I don’t think the air can be directed as well without external louvers. So, I don’t think the individual setting really improves on the focused setting, at least not for my preferences.

I don’t want to make a bigger deal out of it than it is. I just leave it on focused and mostly don’t think about it while driving. But, if manual external louvers were an option, I’d prefer them.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Have to say despite some initial reservations, I have gotten used to the digital AC controls and TBH do not really adjust airflow that often if at all (the most obvious loss of a tactile input), but mostly fan spend and temp which are readily accessible in one simple interface on lower screen. That and I actually prefer the volume knob on the steering wheel as it again keeps my eyes focused forward - Same setup as on my prior M4 Vert - all personal tastes I guess.
With the AC and the touch screen, they copied too much from T - and then failed to make the usability better. Cannot customize any of these buttons and cannot control the back seats AC at all.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Touch screens are great for versatility where a lot of functions are more easily distributed through a series of screens but they are the master of the unwanted selection in a moving car IME, particularly in countries where we have the screen on our left and are right handed.
The very worst are "slider" type controls, I have never got one of them to do what I want without stopping.

I feel an idiot using voice controls, too old I suppose, and have only tried them a handful of times in the 17 years I have had them in a car but maybe the Porsche will be worth getting used to. The only thing I preferred in the Audi E-Tron GT over the Taycan was the driver ergonomics, though not the dash styling overall.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
It's just so funny to watch these kind of conversations and the absence of the ability to adapt.
Tell me, how often do you change settings while driving?
Once I set them I never touch them again.
The controls you need are on the steering wheel/colomn and there's voice command but hé, if you don't adapt you'll stay annoyed and hate the system for the wrong kind of reasons.
A Porsche is all about driving and performance but some people just don't understand Porsche added modern features (and went beyond with software buttons and screens like the Mission E) to be on par with cars of today.
Can it be better?
Sure but this science fiction look is exactly what I like and personally I didn't have any problems with the controls from day one.
But I understand intuitive control is very subjective and you can't possibly create a system which everyone likes.
For me: I just love it.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Couldn’t be more convenient? Is it the pinnacle of convenience then?

I disagree.

A dial of some sort would absolutely be more convenient. Or perhaps you’d prefer a touch screen on the steering wheel for volume buttons instead of your wheel?

I remember, around 2008, I put nothing but touch screens (save for emergency stop buttons) on a processing line. I learned my lesson.

Frequently adjusted (and especially analog) controls are often better as physical/tactile inputs, unless the touch screen offers some other added feature to the input that is not otherwise easily replicated.

Touch screens are great and have their place (and I continue to use them extensively).

But physical/tactile controls have their place also.
I don't disagree re tactile feeling of analog dials/buttons which is exactly what they provide in the steering wheel, but my response addressed your contention that the only volume controls were on the driver's steering wheel leaving the passenger with nothing - clearly incorrect.

And in regard the 'inconvenience' of tapping a plus or minus sign that is always up and in front of you vs twisting a knob (when the passenger has no other distractions to worry about) is just too much for you then so be it, your opinion and most def respect that - I however can entirely disagree with that opinion whilst certainly valuing all opinions :) Suspect there is in fact a lot of agreement here!

Reactions: Dee

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
With the AC and the touch screen, they copied too much from T - and then failed to make the usability better. Cannot customize any of these buttons and cannot control the back seats AC at all.
No experience with Tesla so off my radar - again imo the AC controls are just fine but did take time to be comfortable with. And as both I and @Dee said, I very rarely muck with these at all so just not an issue for me.

In regards the rear AC, you can at least turn it off from the front controls which I actually do when no one is sitting there from what is probably a false sense of energy conservation i.e. in reality it likely just means the front AC is doing more work :)!

Reactions: Dee

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
but my response addressed your contention that the only volume controls were on the driver's steering wheel leaving the passenger with nothing - clearly incorrect.
I said no such thing. If you think I did, please quote it.

Relevant conversation below, up to your response you reference.

Note that my initial comment was that almost everything is on the touch screen and there is no volume knob, and I explicitly excluded the steering wheel. I didn’t give a reason for exclusion at the time, but the reason is that it’s not accessible to the passenger, which I poked fun at later.

Almost everything is touch screen! Even the vent direction! There isn’t even a volume knob! (I don’t count the steering wheel)
I actually prefer the volume knob on the steering wheel as it again keeps my eyes focused forward

and the center screen where AC is displayed has a passenger side +/- volume button set on bottom right, always up front and couldn’t be more convenient for the passenger to also control the volume if desired - what were those Porsche engineers thinking!?
Sponsored