Hardware differences between CT 4 and 4S?

perski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche C2S, CT4
Country flag
Anyone know if there are hardware differences between the cross turismo 4 and 4S, or is the reduced horsepower in the 4 just done through software?

The only physical difference that i can find are the red calipers on the 4S.
Sponsored

steen

First Name
Steen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB E-class coupe
Country flag
I have been wondering about this too.

same motors?

loysha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi RS E-tron GT
Country flag
Anyone know if there are hardware differences between the cross turismo 4 and 4S, or is the reduced horsepower in the 4 just done through software?

The only physical difference that i can find are the red calipers on the 4S.
I think there is a difference in the motors.
Between 4S and Turbo, the difference in power is 80 kW and there are different motors.
Between 4 and 4S, the power difference is 70 kW, I am sure that the motors are also different.
Structurally, the motors are the same, the differences in the amount of copper wire in the winding. The more copper the more powerful.

OP
OP
perski

perski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche C2S, CT4
Country flag
I'm wondering if the saving Porsche can get from less copper and whatever else can be saved in a less powerful drivetrain, is outweighed by having a more complicated production line in terms of testing, development, spare part inventory etc.

loysha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi RS E-tron GT
Country flag
I'm wondering if the saving Porsche can get from less copper and whatever else can be saved in a less powerful drivetrain, is outweighed by having a more complicated production line in terms of testing, development, spare part inventory etc.
From the point of view of production, the issue is not about economy, the cost of production is the same. The question is marketing. Porsche, like the VAG concern, is able to sell one design to buyers with different income levels.
For example AUDI RSQ8, Lamborghini Urus, Bentley Bentayga, VW TOUAREG V8.
Structurally, one machine for a different wallet :)

For this, the Porsche Taikan uses versions of the RVD, 4, 4S, Turbo, Turbo S

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
From the point of view of production, the issue is not about economy, the cost of production is the same. The question is marketing. Porsche, like the VAG concern, is able to sell one design to buyers with different income levels.
For example AUDI RSQ8, Lamborghini Urus, Bentley Bentayga, VW TOUAREG V8.
Structurally, one machine for a different wallet :)

For this, the Porsche Taikan uses versions of the RVD, 4, 4S, Turbo, Turbo S
Motors are OEM'd via ABB within the factory - take a look at the Taycan production line video which also shows the motor windings / assembly.

Very much JIT production line also - so only make what has been ordered (plus stock of course) - therefore costs may be optimised.

I'm guessing they're also contemplating taking semi-conductor manufacturing in-house in some shape or form given the current issues impacting all manufacturers. Too much reliance on the Far East where once these components could have been manufactured in Europe.

Runestone

First Name
Sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
The regular Taycan 4 and 4S have the same rear motors. The power difference comes from the lack of a front motor. The CT 4S obviously has the same motors as the regular 4S. This means that the CT 4 supposedly has a motor that not is used in other models. I doubt that they would develop a special motor just for the CT 4. I guess that it is the same motor, but configured to output less. Maybe it has a different power inverter.

Some who has a CT 4 can try to hack it and see if they can get a 4S :)

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The regular Taycan 4 and 4S have the same rear motors. The power difference comes from the lack of a front motor. The CT 4S obviously has the same motors as the regular 4S. This means that the CT 4 supposedly has a motor that not is used in other models. I doubt that they would develop a special motor just for the CT 4. I guess that it is the same motor, but configured to output less. Maybe it has a different power inverter.

Really?

Both the 4 and 4S have 2 motors - both are 4 wheel drive, that's what the '4' represents and in the case of an EV implies > 1 motor, in this case one on each axle.

Runestone

First Name
Sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Really?

Both the 4 and 4S have 2 motors - both are 4 wheel drive, that's what the '4' represents and in the case of an EV implies > 1 motor, in this case one on each axle.
Yes, really, just strike the 4 in the first sentence since the is no regular Taycan 4, only Taycan and Taycan 4S. But that doesn't change the rest of the arguments. Either the CT 4 has the same rear motor as the CT 4S, Taycan, and Taycan 4S, just with reduced output. Or they have developed a separate motor just for that model. I believe in the former.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag

I have pondered this and suspect that Porsche have considered this too and so make it very hard to do.

jlee504

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
targa gts
Country flag
i’m almost certain that the 4s and turbo are the same motors front and back. I think the 4 has a different front or back motor than the 4s. the turbo s has a different motor than the turbo. not sure which or both.

i’m pretty sure it was in the motoman review or one of them early on when the car was launched
Sponsored