Has anybody driven a Taycan without PDCC? Body roll?

fantasma

First Name
Sven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M550i, Porsche Cayman GT4, Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Mk II
Country flag
I am finalising my spec and have doubts about PDCC.

I have driven several Porsche 991 with and without PDCC (including my own), and very much preferred the cars without PDCC, because they felt more natural. I little body roll gives you a sensation of speed and fluidness. The 991 cars with PDCC where cornering artificially flat and thus providing less feedback to the driver.

Based on this experience I planned to order my Taycan 4S without PDCC. However at a Porsche event I had a test drive in a Taycan Turbo S with PDCC and the most positive surprise driving the car, was how well it was able to disguise its weight. Now, I wonder how much of that was due to PDCC. I have not driven any Taycan without PDCC and the dealers in Spain don't have any demo cars yet, so I will not be able to test drive any other car before I have to finalise my order.

Do the Taycans without PDCC have a lot of body roll? Has anybody driven a car with PDCC and a car without PDCC back-to-back?

Any help appreciated!

Sven
Sponsored

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag

I have driven several Porsche 991 with and without PDCC (including my own), and very much preferred the cars without PDCC, because they felt more natural. I little body roll gives you a sensation of speed and fluidness. The 991 cars with PDCC where cornering artificially flat and thus providing less feedback to the driver.

Based on this experience I planned to order my Taycan 4S without PDCC. However at a Porsche event I had a test drive in a Taycan Turbo S with PDCC and the most positive surprise driving the car, was how well it was able to disguise its weight. Now, I wonder how much of that was due to PDCC. I have not driven any Taycan without PDCC and the dealers in Spain don't have any demo cars yet, so I will not be able to test drive any other car before I have to finalise my order.

Do the Taycans without PDCC have a lot of body roll? Has anybody driven a car with PDCC and a car without PDCC back-to-back?

Any help appreciated!

Sven
I think it depends on two things. First, your 'butt meter' and how sensitive you are to the attitude of the car. Second would be how aggressively you plan on driving. I drove a non PDCC Taycan at reasonable speeds, and couldn't tell. On the other hand, when I got my Panamera GTS with PDCC and drove with my wife - again at very sedate speeds - the first thing she said about it was 'it doesn't lean in the turns'. When I drive it hard - especially on curves, on ramps, off ramps etc., I can really tell the difference. It takes a bit of getting used to - it's like the car defies physics. Having it on my GTS, I definitely want it on the Taycan.

I would definitely try to drive a Panamera with and without before deciding. I think you'll get the feel.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello there,

I did some fast runs around roundabouts without PDCC and of course the car rolls to the outside. I happen to like it. But YMMV.

Cheers,
Henrik

OP
OP

fantasma

First Name
Sven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M550i, Porsche Cayman GT4, Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Mk II
Country flag
Hello there,

I did some fast runs around roundabouts without PDCC and of course the car rolls to the outside. I happen to like it. But YMMV.

Cheers,
Henrik
Henrik, thanks for the quick reply!
One question though: do you happen to like PDCC or do you happen to like some body roll?

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I don’t have PDCC. The car handles great without it, but I don’t have any experience with PDCC, so I don’t know what I’m missing.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I relate the story about my wife because she is, let's say, absolutely a non-car person... However, after just a couple minutes in my Panamera with PDCC her comment was '...the car doesn't lean when you turn...'. So, she felt it almost immediately around our first turn at normal speeds in the comfort setting, so much so that she commented on it. It's interesting, because as a driver, you know what you and the car are going to do much more than the passenger, so to a certain extent, you anticipate the turn and the roll. I did not notice it as much as she did. So, it might be interesting to take a passenger along when you evaluate...

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
The standard suspension is quite sophisticated and I opted not to order the PDCC. I happen to like a little body roll when cornering and other than having options to make good money on (for Porsche AG) I really don’t see the point of this system. Not even for ”spirited” driving on normal roads. The car still has antiroll bars to keep the (heavy) weight in check. The downside to having stiff anti roll bars is that the comfort could suffer since the individual springing of the whels are impacted. But here the Taycan excells due to the airsuspension which is very adjudtable in the programming/setup and I have full confidence in Porsches engineers in this regard.

On a track I guess its perhaps worth considering as the cornerweight of the wheels will be kept as even as possible (side to side) keeping tyre surface contact, wear, temperatures etc as even as possible. But no matter how you put it, It’s not like the Taycan is a track purporsely built car like a GT3 - all that weight eats up tyres and the range be reslly poor thereby making it kind of out of place at the race track.

Last edited:

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
Yes PDCC have ride comfort opt. too.
Watch the video..

Larry Martin

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1960 Roadster
Country flag

Any help appreciated!

Sven
I have the same question and queried Porsche friends and mechanics; and like what I’ve read here so far, folks seem to be split 50-50. One of the pro-arguments was that having it will enhance later-sales appeal and value. Does anyone have an opinion here?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Exterior and interior color (and battery+ for the 4S) are probably the only options that average secondary owners of sedans would notice. When digging around for used 911 GTS (which I ultimately decided against), PDCC was a "nice to have" feature. Far below color, seat choice, and having a manual transmission.

Well, and Porsche buyers would notice Sport Chrono missing. :p

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Exterior and interior color (and battery+ for the 4S) are probably the only options that average secondary owners of sedans would notice. When digging around for used 911 GTS (which I ultimately decided against), PDCC was a "nice to have" feature. Far below color, seat choice, and having a manual transmission.

Well, and Porsche buyers would notice Sport Chrono missing. :p
I dont see PDCC being important resale wise.

In regards to resale my dealer said that he thought sport chrono would be a good thing to add in regards to resale value - and if we are talking ICE Porsche and traditional customers I think he is totally right. But this is an EV and the real value of the the Sport Chrono Pack is somewhat limited (acc times are no better, gearchanges the same, launch control is standard) - and equally important as I see it many Taycan customers are new to Porsche and I don’t think they see the lack the pack as any dealbreaker.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes PDCC have ride comfort opt. too.
Watch the video..
That is actually quite a bit of difference. Like I said, it is something that people can notice immediately, and I definitely prefer it. Like most options, I don't think it will add significantly to resale.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
do you happen to like PDCC or do you happen to like some body roll?
Oh sorry if I was imprecise. I like some body roll. It feels natural to me if a car is leaning outward into the curve a bit. But that is taste.
Cheers,
Henrik
Sponsored