Has Anybody Ever Looked into Adding these Post Delivery?

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Porsche is notorious for building cars specific to the original build so exact that simple things that could be added after the fact cant be without a great deal of tear down and sometimes not at all - for example, lighted door sills wont be prewired for an add later etc.

My car has two items missing and I have to wonder if they can be added after, even if the work is more "advanced". They are:

1. Passenger Screen
2. motorized charge door.

In the case of the charge door, the options to open/close them appear in the center console - made me think it might be possible.

Anyone ever ventured to try and figure this out? Adding a screen cant be more difficult than installing a fixed radar, or add on stereo components - the bottleneck will be parts accessibility and then programming access.
Sponsored

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Assuming away the parts availability, it would be feasible. Lots more disassembly than you probably think for each, but feasible. I note that someone once showed the unit for the passenger screen, and we were surprised to learn that the passenger screen and the main screen are a single unit, so you have to replace it as part of the process.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Porsche is notorious for building cars specific to the original build so exact that simple things that could be added after the fact cant be without a great deal of tear down and sometimes not at all - for example, lighted door sills wont be prewired for an add later etc.

My car has two items missing and I have to wonder if they can be added after, even if the work is more "advanced". They are:

1. Passenger Screen
2. motorized charge door.

In the case of the charge door, the options to open/close them appear in the center console - made me think it might be possible.
2 things I don't think you'll miss. Screen is for flair mostly and not worth over $1K. Illuminated door sills can be added and I have done so successfully on previous P-cars.

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
On the motorized charge doors, I'm pretty sure the opening is smaller for the motorized unit than the manual unit, so the fender sheet metal would require a major change.

I have the passenger screen and have not found it very useful. I could see how it could be useful on a trip when a passenger is engaged in searching for things on the navigation or managing the media, but I have not gone on a longer trip as of yet to try that out. I actually turned the screen off for several weeks since it was not being used anyway.

OP
OP
Skilly

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
On the motorized charge doors, I'm pretty sure the opening is smaller for the motorized unit than the manual unit, so the fender sheet metal would require a major change.
Charge doors are the same size. The parts are about $2K and install seems simple enough - the door is removed and you go through the back of the quarters rather than removing the quarter and fender liner, which would have been my guess.

The struggle is that Porsche doesn't have a retrofit SKU so my dealer has to contact internal teams to determine the update - it has to be mapped to the VIN permanently to ensure over the air updates are aware of the build modification.
Sponsored