Has anybody tried CarPlay2 Air adapter for wireless CarPlay?

awharton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes EQC400
Country flag
Thanks!
We'll all just keep plugging in our phones
Yes - very irritating. Just been loaned a new Macan while my Taycan gets some rattles fixed. Wireless CarPlay works seamlessly on there and the whole PCM is miles better than on the Taycan.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I find it odd that none of the wireless conversion products work. It seem like something that "they" should be able to get working. The phone would see the adapter itself as as a wireless carplay "car", and the adapter would look to the car like it's a wired carplay "phone", acting as an intermediary in the carplay protocol between the phone and the car. Perhaps one of the carplay products will come out with a patch that allows it to work with the Taycan.

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
How does carplay in general perform?.......is it stable?
I would mostly use it for messaging.......do any of the message notifications come across the dash screen or only the main center screen?

gelkad

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3 Touring, Taycan Turbo, 992 Turbo S
Country flag
It doesn’t work, works fine in my GT3 touring

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@gelkad
that’s not good.......crap and looks like wireless isn’t happening anytime soon either
how does the phone call feature work overall for calling and receiving calls?

It doesn’t work, works fine in my GT3 touring

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
How does carplay in general perform?.......is it stable?
I would mostly use it for messaging.......do any of the message notifications come across the dash screen or only the main center screen?
Wired Carplay in my Taycan works flawlessly. I have absolutely no issues whatsoever with it. Wireless Carplay is nonexistent (either natively or through third party solutions).

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I find it odd that none of the wireless conversion products work. It seem like something that "they" should be able to get working. The phone would see the adapter itself as as a wireless carplay "car", and the adapter would look to the car like it's a wired carplay "phone", acting as an intermediary in the carplay protocol between the phone and the car. Perhaps one of the carplay products will come out with a patch that allows it to work with the Taycan.
I will be interested to see if a future version with USB-C (i.e., not with a dongle) works. The two conversion products with which I am familiar require the use of a dongle. I wonder if that is part of the problem. The conversion products work with my other two cars that have wired but not wireless Carplay. And the Audi Wireless Carplay also works really well.

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@KensingtonPark .......thanks
do any if the CarPlay features show in the dash screen?
when you plug in your iPhone, does the screen appear automatically or do you have to take steps to get it running?

Wired Carplay in my Taycan works flawlessly. I have absolutely no issues whatsoever with it. Wireless Carplay is nonexistent (either natively or through third party solutions).

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@KensingtonPark ........thank you
is it possible to use the Porsche nav displayed on dash (full screen) while at the same time have apple carplay displayed on main screen for messaging?........if so, also wondering while in carplay mode if the nav directions will still be announced?

You have to touch the CarPlay button; that’s my experience any way. I believe it’s dependent on what you were doing when you turned off the car.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@TheFutre yes you can use the porsche nav and car play at the the same time - but you can’t have a destination in carply and porsche - but you can have car play doing something - and PCM nav on the main dash display.

don’t know about the navigation annoucements - the 1st thing I do on any vehicle I own is turn off the audio navigation prompts.

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@daveo4EV .........thank you, great news as that’s the option I was hoping for
if you ever get a chance, could you test to see if you could get PCM nav announcements while at the same time get carplay audio like messaging feedback?........I would only use 1 nav, either PCM most likely or Carplay if really needed

@TheFutre yes you can use the porsche nav and car play at the the same time - but you can’t have a destination in carply and porsche - but you can have car play doing something - and PCM nav on the main dash display.

don’t know about the navigation annoucements - the 1st thing I do on any vehicle I own is turn off the audio navigation prompts.
Sponsored