Has anyone found that it’s difficult to release the charger from their car?

Rona

First Name
Rona
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan - Cayenne
Country flag
I charge my car overnight in my garage. When I try to release the charger it seems locked on and can take at least 10 minutes to eventually be able to pull it out!
Sponsored

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Make sure car is unlocked. Hit the button, and wait for the white overhead light (over the charger I mean) to turn on. Should only take a few seconds. A bit longer with high-powered, water cooled chargers.

10 minutes would be insane considering I rarely ever charge for much longer than that when I'm not at home. :lipssealed:

OP
OP
Rona

Rona

First Name
Rona
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan - Cayenne
Country flag
Make sure car is unlocked. Hit the button, and wait for the white overhead light (over the charger I mean) to turn on. Should only take a few seconds. A bit longer with high-powered, water cooled chargers.

10 minutes would be insane considering I rarely ever charge for much longer than that when I'm not at home. :lipssealed:
Thank you ?, it surely is insane but that’s how long it takes. I’ll probably have to go back to the dealer ?

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
I charge my car overnight in my garage. When I try to release the charger it seems locked on and can take at least 10 minutes to eventually be able to pull it out!
I have had to use the emergency release (you should familiarize yourself with it just in case)...but have also found that pushing in the charger cord and then pulling seems to help sometimes. If this happens again I will also try releasing from the PCM (as others have suggested)..it is good to have that as an option.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I thought I had read that after the WMA5/WMA6 update the car will now release the charge cable lock after the car is charged (AC timing - when the active profile is satisfied). I assume this was to prevent having to use the emergency manual release if the 12V dies. If they indeed fixed the 12V issue, this would no longer be required. I think I remember observing this on my own car at one point, but I also can't recall observing it (or looking for it) recently though...

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
I have had this happen to me. The only way I was able to release the plug was through the PCM. The car was unlocked, the white light overhead the plug was illuminated, still would not release. Also, it only happened on the passenger port. When charging at home, I now use the driver port.
I got stuck on an IONITY charger for a few minutes today and nearly ended up going for the manual cord release. Could you tell me how to release the plug through the PCM? I did look but to no avail.

Thanks

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have this problem, though it eventually releases after I push/pull on it a bit. I figured it was just because I use a Tesla tap, but it seems like this is a common issue. I only charge at home with my Tesla Wall Connect and a Tap, and this always happens to me. I haven't had to use the emergency release, but it's definitely a minor annoyance trying to fight with it a bit to come out.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I've had this happen once or twice and found that standing outside the car and to lock & unlock it – will then make the plug release button actually work.

OP
OP
Rona

Rona

First Name
Rona
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan - Cayenne
Country flag
I eventually found that if I didn’t use the pre heat programme the battery plug disconnected no problem! Might just be a coincidence.

sakkaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S & BMW 530e
Country flag
I thought I had read that after the WMA5/WMA6 update the car will now release the charge cable lock after the car is charged (AC timing - when the active profile is satisfied). I assume this was to prevent having to use the emergency manual release if the 12V dies. If they indeed fixed the 12V issue, this would no longer be required. I think I remember observing this on my own car at one point, but I also can't recall observing it (or looking for it) recently though...
I sure hope not. A lot of chargers I encounter here in South Korea doesn't have a charging cable connected to the charger itself, so I have to supply a cable of my own (I have to connect one end of my cable to the charger box and another on my car). When emergency stop button get pressed, charger will release the cable connected, and the only thing that's keeping my cable not stolen is the locking mechanism of the charging port on my car. I've had this exact issue with my 530e (some anti-EV resident have tried to sabotage my charging session and tried unplugging charging cable from both charger and my car. He was successfully able to get the cable detached from the charger but couldn't from my car).

I know it's extremely difficult for engineers to oversee edge cases and malicious actions of stupid people, but I really wish Porsche would (in fact the entire VW groups' EV shares this logic, it seems) implement an option to release the cable or not, so owners can protect their assets and whatnot.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
On the main PCM click on Charging. In the next window to appear click on the three dots bottom right of screen. On the next window the first selection is the one to click on. Note: This selection is inactive unless you are charging and connected.
I have had to do this several times and have found it an absolutely reliable way to force a disconnect !

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
On the main PCM click on Charging. In the next window to appear click on the three dots bottom right of screen. On the next window the first selection is the one to click on. Note: This selection is inactive unless you are charging and connected.
Many thanks indeed.
Sponsored