Has anyone in a Taycan done the Tail Of the Dragon?

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
If so, how did you manage charging? How much did the Dragon drain your battery if you were having a good go at it?
Sponsored

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
If so, how did you manage charging? How much did the Dragon drain your battery if you were having a good go at it?
I haven't done it yet, but I looked into joining the last Rennsport Dragon Rally. There aren't a lot of great charging options, but there are a few Level 2 or NEMA 14-50 options nearby, including at the Tail of the Dragon store/restaurant (highest green marker below), which has a J1772, a NEMA 14-50 outlet and a Tesla Wall charger, and NEMA 14-50 outlets at the Fontana Village Resort (farthest right green marker), which is the host hotel for the Dragon Rally. The only way I can see to do it would be to go up the night before and get a good overnight charge. You could then run the dragon a half-dozen times before you would have to think about recharging. You'd probably want to spend another night to have a full charge to head home the next day.

Porsche Taycan Has anyone in a Taycan done the Tail Of the Dragon? 1612414284449

You have to zoom the map pretty far out to see any DC fast chargers, and most or all of those are only 50kW chargers. so planning and patience will be key.

Porsche Taycan Has anyone in a Taycan done the Tail Of the Dragon? 1612414596395

As far as the car though, I expect it would perform amazingly and would be a hoot.

They're doing another Dragon Rally in June, but I haven't signed up for it yet. I have no affiliation with them, but here's the link: https://www.rennsportdragonrally.com/

If you go I want a report and pictures!

Brent

OP
OP
TYKHAAAN

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I haven't done it yet, but I looked into joining the last Rennsport Dragon Rally. There aren't a lot of great charging options, but there are a few Level 2 or NEMA 14-50 options nearby, including at the Tail of the Dragon store/restaurant (highest green marker below), which has a J1772, a NEMA 14-50 outlet and a Tesla Wall charger, and NEMA 14-50 outlets at the Fontana Village Resort (farthest right green marker), which is the host hotel for the Dragon Rally. The only way I can see to do it would be to go up the night before and get a good overnight charge. You could then run the dragon a half-dozen times before you would have to think about recharging. You'd probably want to spend another night to have a full charge to head home the next day.

1612414284449.png

You have to zoom the map pretty far out to see any DC fast chargers, and most or all of those are only 50kW chargers. so planning and patience will be key.

1612414596395.png

As far as the car though, I expect it would perform amazingly and would be a hoot.

They're doing another Dragon Rally in June, but I haven't signed up for it yet. I have no affiliation with them, but here's the link: https://www.rennsportdragonrally.com/

If you go I want a report and pictures!

Brent
Thanks! I am looking very strongly at that rally and am in contact with the organizers. I may go in spring, with some other Taycan owners i found on Facebook. Who may be interested, to test out the logistics of it all before the rally. Thanks for the great info and if i go, pics will definitely be posted!

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Thanks! I am looking very strongly at that rally and am in contact with the organizers. I may go in spring, with some other Taycan owners i found on Facebook. Who may be interested, to test out the logistics of it all before the rally. Thanks for the great info and if i go, pics will definitely be posted!
I saw your facebook post too, and responded. If you put a trip together let me know!

Brent

TS-Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 TTS
Country flag
Check out the Auto Amateur YouTube site. He’s organizing a TOTD trip for April. It looks like fun and it‘s coupled with a visit to Caffeine and Octane in Atlanta that same weekend.

OP
OP
TYKHAAAN

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ve been thinking about this more, and even tho the Taycan gets great range, without a super charger being closer to the tail than about 100 miles, this just might not work comfortably. There is a charger near the tail, but it will be painfully slow, like hours to get a good charge out of it. I dont know how much a good run thru the tail will drain the battery. I’d hate to do a run or two, then have to charge 2 hours plus to do another or get home. I’m still up in the air on it tho...

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
the only challenge to charging at a rally like this is going to be long waits to get access to the fast chargers on the routings. for example if there are 30 cars in the rally and only four chargers at each charge stop there will be an hours long wait to charge. in addition overnight L2 charging will be constrained by the number of L2 chargers available.

OP
OP
TYKHAAAN

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well I figured it out. EA charger in Knoxville about 60 miles from the Tail enabled it. The stations themself, only one really worked, but I was able to get out there nonetheless. The car had plenty of charge to do the run a few times once there, plus at the Killboy store, they have level 2 plug in chargers for free at the store. Had a great time and this car just handles absolutely amazing out there even tho the roads were a bit wet with some storms rolling thru. Yeah, she’s heavy, but graceful!
Porsche Taycan Has anyone in a Taycan done the Tail Of the Dragon? D6E825C3-1F1D-4FE6-AFAD-FF4843AF5805
Porsche Taycan Has anyone in a Taycan done the Tail Of the Dragon? BF73DAA8-565B-4853-A7D5-C7F866A4CA2E
Porsche Taycan Has anyone in a Taycan done the Tail Of the Dragon? 99DD5E7F-792E-4296-8E99-8EA4205235D9
Porsche Taycan Has anyone in a Taycan done the Tail Of the Dragon? 1155B037-A270-4773-8481-EB5EAB22B105

Juanted

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hey guys - is there an update on this? I've done Rennsport Dragon Rally a couple times (in a Cayman and a 992, which I just sold). Expecting my Taycan sometime in August or September, and curious about doing that rally again in the Taycan. I'm near Charlotte, btw. @TYKHAAAN, how was your experience driving the Dragon? Any other details you can share?

OP
OP
TYKHAAAN

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hey guys - is there an update on this? I've done Rennsport Dragon Rally a couple times (in a Cayman and a 992, which I just sold). Expecting my Taycan sometime in August or September, and curious about doing that rally again in the Taycan. I'm near Charlotte, btw. @TYKHAAAN, how was your experience driving the Dragon? Any other details you can share?
Sure !What details are you looking for? The drive itself was amazing and the car performs magnificently in the Tail. There were cops hiding about, so there were sections I could not push it as much as i might normally have, but I was just more happy that I could get there and drive it with a good level of charge. The Knoxville EA station is the best option IMO and driving south to hit the north end of the Tail from there.

Juanted

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sure !What details are you looking for? The drive itself was amazing and the car performs magnificently in the Tail. There were cops hiding about, so there were sections I could not push it as much as i might normally have, but I was just more happy that I could get there and drive it with a good level of charge. The Knoxville EA station is the best option IMO and driving south to hit the north end of the Tail from there.
Just curious about charging. You topped off in Knoxville prior to getting there, right? Where did you come from? How many miles did you drive in the area, and what was your SoC? Did you go *BACK* to Knoxville on your way back home? I'd be coming from the East (Charlotte, NC). Just trying to figure out the logistics, and whether it is feasible. I'm hoping to have my Taycan by the Fall RDR, and I'm tempted to try it. Just doing some research. Thanks!

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Well I figured it out. EA charger in Knoxville about 60 miles from the Tail enabled it. The stations themself, only one really worked, but I was able to get out there nonetheless. The car had plenty of charge to do the run a few times once there, plus at the Killboy store, they have level 2 plug in chargers for free at the store. Had a great time and this car just handles absolutely amazing out there even tho the roads were a bit wet with some storms rolling thru. Yeah, she’s heavy, but graceful!
D6E825C3-1F1D-4FE6-AFAD-FF4843AF5805.jpeg
BF73DAA8-565B-4853-A7D5-C7F866A4CA2E.jpeg
99DD5E7F-792E-4296-8E99-8EA4205235D9.jpeg
1155B037-A270-4773-8481-EB5EAB22B105.jpeg
Crikey. I would not be looking for a charger, I would be trying to find the nearest detailer to remove those decals.

OP
OP
TYKHAAAN

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just curious about charging. You topped off in Knoxville prior to getting there, right? Where did you come from? How many miles did you drive in the area, and what was your SoC? Did you go *BACK* to Knoxville on your way back home? I'd be coming from the East (Charlotte, NC). Just trying to figure out the logistics, and whether it is feasible. I'm hoping to have my Taycan by the Fall RDR, and I'm tempted to try it. Just doing some research. Thanks!
Ah, I am coming from Huntsville AL, so I had to drive out of my way, as the south end of the Tail is where I usually come in. I stayed the night up near Knoxville and topped off at the charger up there and went south. As to how many miles I drove, that I dont recall. It’s 60 miles to the Tail, then it’s what, 19 miles of the Tail? I went up and down it a couple of times, stopped at the store and I want to say I had about 40% or 30% charge by that time, then charged for about an hour on the level 2 charger there and had plenty of miles to go back up the Tail and continue on to Knoxville. Charged up and went back to our hotel.
I’m pretty sure, depending on battery size, time of year, and how hard you push it, you can easily do 4 or 5 runs coming out of Knoxville with a 90%+ SoC and gain a few miles back from the charger at the Tail and make it back to Knoxville no problem. You could run your car down to about 30 miles of range, then charge for an hour or so at the Tail and get back to Knoxville. The Tail actually isnt that bad on battery as it is on gas bc of regen. You are never going that fast, and are braking a LOT in those turns and gaining some small amount of power back.

OP
OP
TYKHAAAN

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crikey. I would not be looking for a charger, I would be trying to find the nearest detailer to remove those decals.
Ok, no need to be rude. They are not for you. I have gotten TONS of compliments from Porsche and non-Porsche owners on it. The local Porsche dealership had folks ask them if it was something that the dealership could do for their cars and they pointed them to me and I sent them to my custom guy to do what they like. It’s not for you and that’s ok. We are different. I will never remove them as I absolutely LOVE the decal. Also, being a black man, the ”soul” part speaks to a lot of us and a great deal of black people I’ve met with it on there really like it. I did this for myself, but I’m glad others appreciate it. I’m cool if they dont too.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Ok, no need to be rude. They are not for you. I have gotten TONS of compliments from Porsche and non-Porsche owners on it. The local Porsche dealership had folks ask them if it was something that the dealership could do for their cars and they pointed them to me and I sent them to my custom guy to do what they like. It’s not for you and that’s ok. We are different. I will never remove them as I absolutely LOVE the decal. Also, being a black man, the ”soul” part speaks to a lot of us and a great deal of black people I’ve met with it on there really like it. I did this for myself, but I’m glad others appreciate it. I’m cool if they dont too.
My comments are always in jest and actually it's great we all like different things or this world would be a very boring place.
Sponsored