Has anyone purchased the Car Security Package?

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
It looks like this optional Car Security Package is a lo-jack like service. Has anyone ordered it or have any experience with it? Do people think it would contribute meaningfully to phantom drain?
Porsche Taycan Has anyone purchased the Car Security Package? 1602515678246

Porsche Taycan Has anyone purchased the Car Security Package? 1602515502282

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I doubt is has anything to do with an increase in "Phantom Drain" as the Porsche Servers always know where your car is anyway. The car is always connected via the onboard LTE to provide Porsche Connect services and access in any case...

OP
OP
WalterG

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
I doubt is has anything to do with an increase in "Phantom Drain" as the Porsche Servers always know where your car is anyway. The car is always connected via the onboard LTE to provide Porsche Connect services and access in any case...
Thanks!

I should have added that I just took delivery of a 4s on Friday and am super enjoying life with a Taycan! This forum is terrific and helped a lot figuring out how to configure it etc! Thanks! I've driven about 400 miles so far and looking forward to many more miles :)

Porsche Taycan Has anyone purchased the Car Security Package? 1602517260612

redrocket

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Panamera 4S, Bimmer X3
Country flag
...the drain is ridiculously low to begin with.
+1 on this one. If you want to talk about phantom drain head over to a Tesla forum and see what goes on with that car. For me and my former MS it was a huge problem. As a matter of fact, phantom drain is one of the reasons why I traded my less than one year old MS LR to help fund my Taycan. Have zero regrets now that I've had the Taycan a while. And I'm not noticing any phantom drain!

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
+1 on this one. If you want to talk about phantom drain head over to a Tesla forum and see what goes on with that car. For me and my former MS it was a huge problem. As a matter of fact, phantom drain is one of the reasons why I traded my less than one year old MS LR to help fund my Taycan. Have zero regrets now that I've had the Taycan a while. And I'm not noticing any phantom drain!
Taycan has practically no phantom drain:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/long-term-storage.2404/post-49394

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Yes, have it here and no issues. I’ve even got used to carrying the separate key fob in my pocket (NOT on my key ring which I guess defeats the purpose). I’ve only forgotten it twice in 2 weeks! :D
It’s nice to get a call from the security operations centre though to prove it’s actually working.

Showders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Yes I got it as my company insurance demanded I have the cat 5 security! No drain noticed at all

ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag
Yes, I have it, I am used to having to carry a separate token as I have the same for my last two Cayenne’s, it becomes second nature after a while.

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
One tip for those who purchase tracking.

try it out by driving without the fob!

mine was not activated for 1st 3 months after purchasing so I was driving with the fob but the system was turned off.

I had to return and have the whole system reset and setup at the dealership.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have the system too and so far has been less reliable than its predecessor I had on my Panamera ST.

The fobs had to be paired again as they went offline 2 weeks after I collected the car. I didn't find out until several weeks after that and then waited for a service slot at the dealership several months later. Not ideal as you have no idea if it is active or not it unless you deliberately leave the fob behind.

Poorly thought out, cumbersome and untested tech...seems to follow the Taycan!

Jetpilot

First Name
Filippo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche taycan 4s 2021
Country flag
One tip for those who purchase tracking.

try it out by driving without the fob!

mine was not activated for 1st 3 months after purchasing so I was driving with the fob but the system was turned off.

I had to return and have the whole system reset and setup at the dealership.
Is the fob something which is country specific ? I did activate the service in USA but I have only the car key no extra fob

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Yes, it does depend on markets.

PVTS (Porsche Vehicle Tracking Service): Tracking with no security fob included.
PVTS+ (Porsche Vehicle Tracking Service Plus): Tracking with security fob included.

Usually only one variant per market is available and in some (like mine in Ireland) where insurance requires factory tracker fitted it is an included no-cost option – though it attracts a yearly subscription.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
if you are more serious about security and tracking, don't bother with the GPS based car tracker. If you are getting it for insurance, fine, that makes sense.

However, professional thief's know where the GPS trackers are in the cars that they steal....there is a reason they are 'professionals'.

If you really want to 'track' where your car goes when it is stolen, don't rely on GPS trackers. They can be defeated as well as many of the places they take these cars right away is in an underground garage or an area that blocks overhead GPS tracking....for a reason.

There is a way though and that is with bluetooth trackers. These can be in the form of Tile or the new Apple Air Tag. These bounce off of other devices, cell towers, routers, and transmit on their own in the background. Now, here is the key, these can be defeated as well, if they are looking for them. So the key is to win the psychological game. Place two of these Tile/AirTags in the vehicle. The first one should not be taped to the dash, but easy enough for them to find it. This will cause them to think they have defeated all the trackers in the car with finding a bluetooth device and the GPS. They will stop searching after this.....however, this is why you want a second device truly hidden and that is what you are counting on that will be your active beacon.

Nothing if 100% and you may even have law enforcement and/or insurance not actually respond to the location, even if you have this alerting you of their position (you can't prevent this, or make them 'go get it' and they may have their reasons to not go send the Calvary - safety, long-term sting, undercover on the premises, tied to another active investigation, the list goes on...). However, by placing two active trackers beyond the GPS it allows one to act as the decoy and gives you the best chance of getting the information. Please also, don't go John Wayne and try to go retrieve it yourself.

Hope this helps and no, I won't explain sources of methods on reasoning for this, but in my experience this is the best way if you truly want to track it......not to mention these Air Tags are really cheep for what you get now and can be pulled up on the 'find me' app.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
It's worth knowing that Apple's AirTag is designed to help you locate your own missing items. It has been explicitly designed not to be that useful to recover stolen items due to privacy concerns.

If you hide an AirTag or tags in your vehicle and a thief has an iPhone – or an Android phone with a dedicated app from Apple – they will get an alert to say that a "unknown" AirTag or tags (it will tell them the amount of them) are travelling with them. This is to help prevent stalking/tracking.

They can use these the steps outlined here – https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212227 – to find and/or disable the tags.

Further info available at:

https://help.apple.com/pdf/personal-safety/en_US/personal-safety-user-guide.pdf

Porsche Taycan Has anyone purchased the Car Security Package? Screenshot 2022-03-03 at 07.13.20
Sponsored

Last edited: