Has anyone used the PMCC to charge a non Porsche EV ?

ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag
Looking to order a Mini Electric and as this has a type 2 connector I plan to use the PMCC to charge both the Taycan and the Mini, the dealer has offered to have a home charger installed, but I would rather not have two units if I can use the PMCC to charge both ?

I am assuming the PMCC will work but just wanted to ask if anyone had tried it and been successful ?

Thanks

Carl.
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Looking to order a Mini Electric and as this has a type 2 connector I plan to use the PMCC to charge both the Taycan and the Mini, the dealer has offered to have a home charger installed, but I would rather not have two units if I can use the PMCC to charge both ?

I am assuming the PMCC will work but just wanted to ask if anyone had tried it and been successful ?

Thanks

Carl.
No problem, PMCC should charge every car as long as the plug fits!

See my other EV charging on my PMCC:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...harging-setup-for-your-taycan.3032/post-66960

OP
OP

ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
My PMCC has charged the following vehicles:
  • 2020 Taycan Turbo
  • 2021 Cayenne eHybrid
  • 2017 Chevy Volt
  • 2019 Chevy Bolt
  • 2017 Chevy Bolt
  • 2020 Chevy Bolt
  • 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance
  • 2017 Tesla Model X
  • 2019 Tesla Model S
  • 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
  • 2021 Audi eTron SUV
  • 2011 Nissan Leaf
  • 20xx VW eGolf
  • 2019 Audi Q5 hybrid
the PMCC is simply an overpriced (vasty overprice) mediocre Porsche branded J-1772 9.6 kW EVSE - the basic design features and product is shared across the VW/Audi/Porsche line - it should be compatible with most any EV in North America - if you find a J-1772 EV it’s not compatible with it would further lower my opinion of this Porsche product. There are vastly better more affordable EVSE’s if you have the option for an alternative. If you already own one no reason to swap it out but it would not be my first choice if I was purchasing from scratch - not a bad option if you can get the dealer to back out the “cost” during a purchase however - “free/included“ it’s an ok choice.

any correctly made J-1772 EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment which is what the PMCC is) should be fully compatible with ALL J-1772 EV’s - the north american EV charging standard. The expectation is that EVSE’s should not be manufacturer specific and that they function with all other EV’s.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag
My PMCC has charged the following vehicles:
  • 2020 Taycan Turbo
  • 2021 Cayenne eHybrid
  • 2017 Chevy Volt
  • 2019 Chevy Bolt
  • 2017 Chevy Bolt
  • 2020 Chevy Bolt
  • 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance
  • 2017 Tesla Model X
  • 2019 Tesla Model S
  • 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
  • 2021 Audi eTron SUV
  • 2011 Nissan Leaf
  • 20xx VW eGolf
  • 2019 Audi Q5 hybrid
the PMCC is simply an overpriced (vasty overprice) mediocre Porsche branded J-1772 9.6 kW EVSE - the basic design features and product is shared across the VW/Audi/Porsche line - it should be compatible with most any EV in North America - if you find a J-1772 EV it’s not compatible with it would further lower my opinion of this Porsche product. There are vastly better more affordable EVSE’s if you have the option for an alternative. If you already own one no reason to swap it out but it would not be my first choice if I was purchasing from scratch - not a bad option if you can get the dealer to back out the “cost” during a purchase however - “free/included“ it’s an ok choice.

any correctly made J-1772 EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment which is what the PMCC is) should be fully compatible with ALL J-1772 EV’s - the north american EV charging standard. The expectation is that EVSE’s should not be manufacturer specific and that they function with all other EV’s.
Hi David,

Thanks for the confirmation, as I already have the PMCC I will push for increased discount on the Mini Electric rather than have another charger installed.

Carl.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
will push for increased discount on the Mini Electric rather than have another charger installed.
good plan - you don’t need a 2nd EVSE and when you do you want a ClipperCreek share2 or similar system - two chargers sharing a single breaker - and splits the load for two EV’s to charge at once saving the cost of 2 separate dedicated circuits..

this would be my goto choice for a dual EV household at this point in time - easy, bullit proof and relabile single breaker solution for charging 2 EV’s at the same time

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-40-to-80/40-amp-dual-charging-station-14-50

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
the PMCC is simply an overpriced (vasty overprice) mediocre Porsche branded J-1772 9.6 kW EVSE - the basic design features and product is shared across the VW/Audi/Porsche line...
I disagree:
  1. My PMCC is a 22 kW charger and therefore future proof - can even charge a 150kWh battery overnight. What 22 kW chargers on the market are cheaper and have better functionality?
  2. If you park your Taycan in a shared car park, you want a charger with a PIN
  3. If you have a PIN set, you want eventually the PMCC recognize your car for plug & charge
  4. The PMCC has a display and a history of charging sessions
  5. If you have a solar roof installations it works with the PEM based on EEBUS
  6. Can lower the charging current
  7. Very small installation footprint
  8. Mobile if needed
  9. Works with any other car/brand
I know the grid power supply in the US is different, but for the rest of the world, the PMCC is a solid versatile product with a built in computer. I think the price is justified with or without the Porsche logo on the box.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I disagree:
  1. My PMCC is a 32 kW charger and therefore future proof - can even charge a 150kWh battery overnight. What 32 kW chargers on the market are cheaper and have better functionality?
  2. If you park your Taycan in a shared car park, you want a charger with a PIN
  3. If you have a PIN set, you want eventually the PMCC recognize your car for plug & charge
  4. The PMCC has a display and a history of charging sessions
  5. If you have a solar roof installations it works with the PEM based on EEBUS
  6. Can lower the charging current
  7. Very small installation footprint
  8. Mobile if needed
  9. Works with any other car/brand
I know the grid power supply in the US is different, but for the rest of the world, the PMCC is a solid versatile product with a built in computer. I think the price is justified with or without the Porsche logo on the box.
none of this is true for the north american market

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I am sorry, but that is a ridiculous comment!
actually most of it is fact. Here in US we only get a 9kw version, most EV owners have private garages, most cars show history of charging sessions (and others EVSEs can do the same), most EVSEs allow reducing current, etc.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
well let’s take these one at a time…
  1. is not true - 9.6 kW for the North American market
    1. see item #10 if you don't want your unit overheating during normal use - so it's really only a 7.2 kW unit according to Porsche's response to supply cable overheating issues.
  2. shared usage possibly true - only vehicle that supports PIN is MY’21 Taycan - no other production EV supports this feature
  3. same as #2
  4. fine I was wrong - doesn’t matter - it’s inaccurate mostly - but ok you can love it
    1. other more affordable products offer simillar functionality
  5. PEM is not a product offered in North American market
  6. not a unique feature - but yeah ok - better to have support in the vehicle for when you’re not using a PMCC
    1. other higher quality more affordable units do this.
  7. only with basic mount - if you have the dock it’s not small - but there are smaller units than the PMCC for 1/3rd the cost that take up less space
  8. LOL - the PMCC is an awful mobile charger - both for it's weight and size (too big) and flexibility (a very narrow range of North American NEMA plug adapters that cost the same as an ENTIRE EVSE for each of the supply cables) - it’s 4x as heavy and bigger than any other mobile North American EVSE for 1/4 the cost vs. Porsche’s $1200 US price tag
    1. NOTE: building out a 2nd PMCC via Porsche Parts ordering (the only way to do it) so you can one have PMCC "live at home" and another live in the car or at a vacation home is absolutely 100% outrageous - it's north of $3200 to obtain a functional configuration of a PMCC outside of a porsche vehicle purchase - $3200!!!!! for a 9.6/7.2 kW EVSE that overheats, is too big, and too heavy…
    2. ClipperCreek will sell you an ultraHigh quality 9.6 kW EVSE that will not over heat for less than $600 - and they are consider _EXPENSIVE_ vs. the competition.
    3. $3200 - f'ing ridiculous for this POS
    4. Also another use case for a Mobile charger is to use it "on road" or "at the track" and probably in a scenario where it's plugged into an outdoor NEMA 14-50 outlet - which is mostly likely not shaded - ROFL if you think the Porsche PMCC isn't going to overheat and shut down while charging at 40 amps in 88F ambient temperatures in direct sunlight - this _IS_ a common MOBILE charger scenario - and I've used other mobile EVSE in worse heat environments and they behave like champs. The PMCC can barely avoid overheating inside a shaded garage at night with a 62F ambient temperature - picture how well it will hold up at 90F in direct sunlight mid day - yeah this is a terrible mobile charger and is poorly designed for mobile usage in real world scenarios.
  9. same as any J-1772 charger in the north american market - All EVSE support all standard EVSEs - listing this as a "feature" of the PMCC is just plain wrong - it's table stakes minimum requirement to produce an EV charger that can do this - if you produce an EV charger that doesn't do this you're doing it wrong.
  10. Other EVSE vendor products ship with appropriate wire gauge for the NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 and won’t get un-usually hot during normal usage in 68F ambient temperature - the PMCC has an overheating problem which is a basic design and electrical issue Porsche has yet to acknowledge - the only official response is you should not use the unit at it’s full 40 amp rated capacity but should dial down the AMP’s and use it at a 7.2 kW rate - making it the most expensive 32 amp EVSE in the North American market
    1. at higher ambient temperatures the unit is a safety issue and there are multiple reports from this very forum of actual melted NEMA 14-50 supply cables which are designed and sourced by Porsche and not an install issue like when your Tesla Wall charger didn’t have the wires’ properly tightened and caused shorts - this is an actual design issue as opposed to an installer issue.
    2. Porsche has yet to rectify this issue and is still shipping units in the North American market with barely adequate wire gauge to save $7.23 on a $1200 EVSE - for a cable that they charge $277 for via Porsche parts fulfilment - you can purchase an ENTIRE EVSE for $277 that wont’ overheat - Porsche sub-standard overheating supply cable costs more than most lighter and smaller mobile EVSE’s.
you can believe the PMCC is a good product all you want - but it’s overpriced and nothing special - and in the North American market is actually deficient in basic usage case where you expect your EVSE not to overheat or have undiagnosable electrical grounding problems.

It’s a terribly overprice mediocre product in the North American market place, and there are literally 10’s of alternative vendor choices that are more affordable, smaller, lighter, don’t overheat, and offer greater functionality - and the PIN for your vehicle feature - well that’s a porsche only feature, good luck having that function for any other existing EV or those being sold by other vendors for the foreseeable future.

the Mustart 40 amp EVSE for $299 has most of the same features as the PMCC, smaller, lighter, adjustable AMP’s and more North American plug adapters. and you can purchase 4 Mustarts for the price of one PMCC and they are smaller. lighter and more flexible and don't overheat in normal usage.

the PMCC is the most expensive least functional EVSE in the North American market and weighs sooo much - it is neither a good home charger (it overheats) or an effective mobile charger due to weight, size, and lack of an affordable range of NEMA plug adapters.

Last edited:

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
@daveo4EV I agree with your entire list (I own 4 EVSEs total, the PMCC is the most expensive and by far the worst one). Your list has all the important points, but you know what drives me MOST crazy?

The stupid brightness control DOESN’T WORK. I set it max brightness, it is bright for 3 seconds then immediately dims back down to whatever it wants. I mean WTF? It has a web portal for control but can’t respect my brightness setting?

Yes I know its minor, but for me its like the last straw. Also pre update every so often it would fail to charge until it was power cycled. So I would come back and find my Jaguar was not charged because, you know, it was confused. The Mustart one I bought for my storage space works 100% of the time.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
@daveo4EV I agree with most of your points about the PMCC. It certainly is a very expensive ( overpriced) item and very heavy and clumsy.

I think the problem is that it has been designed and probably built, as a 22kW charger. Designed with European standards in mind, and with 3 phase available. If you compare that to a PodPoint 22 kW charger there is not so much price difference.
https://pod-point.com/products/driver/solo.

And as a 3 phase 22 kW charger it performs well. No overheating, I guess since every phase delivers 7.x kW. But for the US if you boost the single phase to 9.6 kW you would put more amps through a single phase cable? It will get warm at 22 kW but not as hot as has been described here.

It is not a good fit for the market trying to get a design for 3 phase 22 kW to compete with a proper design for purpose.

Porsche probably need to design a new unit to meet the US specific conditions?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Scandinavian I honestly agree with your comments - my feedback is obviously in the context of this product for my region and market - the PMCC may be an excellent EV chargers for other regions given the reasons you outline. But for US it’s a very very odd & expensive “fit”.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
it is neither a good home charger (it overheats)
Mine (rest of the world) charges with 11kW and doesn't "overheat". Even with 9.6 kW that car charges over night.

The rest of the features you don't have to use, but it does not make the product bad - besides the mislabeling of a cable for the NA market.
Sponsored