Has anyone used the PMCC to charge a non Porsche EV ?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
And as a 3 phase 22 kW charger it performs well. No overheating, I guess since every phase delivers 7.x kW. But for the US if you boost the single phase to 9.6 kW you would put more amps through a single phase cable? It will get warm at 22 kW but not as hot as has been described here.
Heat is a product of current and wire resistance, not power. The 22kW runs as 3-phase 400VAC @ 32A. The US 9.6kW runs as single phase 240VAC @ 40A. So the current is actually not so different. I don’t know what wire sizes they used in each though.

But the 40A itself really shouldn’t be a problem. Consider that other conductors in the house are carrying all of the current for the PMCC in addition to other house load without overheating (...hopefully ). If the PMCC has overheating issues, it’s probably underspec’d on wire size.

Mine (rest of the world) charges with 11kW and doesn't "overheat". Even with 9.6 kW that car charges over night.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the 11kW is charged as 3-phase 400VAC @ 16A. If so, it’s not really comparable to the US spec 9.6kW.

—————

To be clear, I don’t know if the US spec PMCC has overheating issues or not. I’m just commenting on comments...
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the 11kW is charged as 3-phase 400VAC @ 16A. If so, it’s not really comparable to the US spec 9.6kW.

—————

To be clear, I don’t know if the US spec PMCC has overheating issues or not. I’m just commenting on comments...
True, the 3 phase reduces the Amps, which produce less heat on the same cable size. I have not tested the charger with 32A 22kW since I don't have a 22kW capable EV.

If you have a heat problem with a bent cable, which could be caused due to stress on the metal in the cable, wouldn't it be smart to replace the cable and see if the problem persists? Wouldn't it be interesting to see where the heat comes from, the charger, the cable or the socket? It's all plug and play. Wouldn't that be much more interesting than endless rants about price and slow charging due to grid power supply differences?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
True, the 3 phase reduces the Amps, which produce less heat on the same cable size. I have not tested the charger with 32A 22kW since I don't have a 22kW capable EV.
Not just the 3-phase, but the voltage also. But again, 40A isn’t really a problem for properly sized wire.

Wouldn't that be much more interesting than endless rants about price and slow charging due to grid power supply differences?
At least regarding price and in the US, no. We can pretty much say it’s a waste. We get the PMC+ standard which also charges at 9.6kW. AFAIK, the PMCC is a $1120 option for the same 9.6kW so the cost is just for the extra features.

We’re being asked to pay $1120 just for whatever WiFi or extra current limit options or whatever else....on a “mobile” charger! That’s bigger than the PMC+!

It’s bigger and has WiFi...definitely both things I look for in a “mobile” charger! Let me get my checkbook...?‍♂

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The US 9.6kW runs as single phase 240VAC @ 40A. So the current is actually not so different. I don’t know what wire sizes they used in each though.
I am well aware of that it is the amps that generate the heat. 22 kW on three phase is 32 amps in each phase. Now if you push 40 amps through that, which happens to be 25% more, I think the heat generated will be higher. So I would think the heat comes from just using one phase to push 40 amps.

But the shorter cable connecting the charger to the car is only rated at 20 amp so that will limit the charge here. The longer 7.5 meter cable is rated at 400 volt 32 amp so that one is no problem.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Now if you push 40 amps through that, which happens to be 25% more, I think the heat generated will be higher. So I would think the heat comes from just using one phase to push 40 amps.
But they’re different chargers. The one for 40A should be designed for 40A and heat should not be any kind of a problem.

And again, I don’t personally know that it is a problem.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
But they’re different chargers. The one for 40A should be designed for 40A and heat should not be any kind of a problem.

And again, I don’t personally know that it is a problem.
I think you put the finger on it. The cable supplied is likely not for 40 amps.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Not just the 3-phase, but the voltage also. But again, 40A isn’t really a problem for properly sized wire.
According to Porsche the wire to the charger is mislabeled and can handle the current.

If you want a better charger in the US, you need to have a charger which has a converter inside to convert the 2 phase low voltage high amps to a 3 phase high voltage lower amps.

At least regarding price and in the US, no. We can pretty much say it’s a waste.
I understand that, but then again, if you don't need the features, and don't want to spend the money, don't buy it. It does not make the product bad, doesn't it?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you want a better charger in the US, you need to have a charger which has a converter inside to convert the 2 phase low voltage high amps to a 3 phase high voltage lower amps.
I don’t follow. There’s no US spec for 3-phase AC charging (that I’m aware of).

And...again...the 40A is not itself a problem.

Why wouldn’t a better charger simply consist of appropriately sized wire?

I understand that, but then again, if you don't need the features, and don't want to spend the money, don't buy it. It does not make the product bad, doesn't it?
The cost for the features is ridiculous. There are much better alternatives. But my opinion is limited to the US model and pricing. Elsewhere, it might be great on all accounts. I hold no opinion on that.
Sponsored