Has it lost the WOW factor?

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
I have spoken to a few Taycan owners as I am waiting on my order and am getting mixed reviews on ownership. Some are saying that it just didn't have the wow factor they were hoping it would. What are your thoughts? Any bothered by the backup camera size? How about the lurching of the 2 gear system? Any thoughts as I am on the fence as to waiting until the bugs get worked out and sticking with another 911 or taking the plunge. Any insight is much appreciated.
Sponsored

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have spoken to a few Taycan owners as I am waiting on my order and am getting mixed reviews on ownership. Some are saying that it just didn't have the wow factor they were hoping it would. What are your thoughts? Any bothered by the backup camera size? How about the lurching of the 2 gear system? Any thoughts as I am on the fence as to waiting until the bugs get worked out and sticking with another 911 or taking the plunge. Any insight is much appreciated.
if their car is lurching, they should bring it in for service.
Did those people buy the car without driving it first? Why are they now feeling they aren't getting what they were hoping to get?
If you are worried about those comments, you shouldn't listen to internet comments and you should wait until you can drive the car enough on extended test drives to see if it is right for you

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you're unsure, I'd wait.

Part of the "WOW" factor is the electric drivetrain. Everyone finds it cool at first but that opinion can change. Some people grow to miss the sound of an engine, some people absolutely love the electric and never want to go back. Of course, you can't get anywhere near this performance in a NA engine without spending several times the amount of money and giving up a lot of comfort/practicality.

As for small glitches and such, I've said it a thousand times but I'll say it again.. if you're looking for a technology first car don't buy a Porsche. It's funny that a few years ago we were complaining on Porsche forums about mandatory backup cameras, now we're complaining they aren't HD enough.

The car doesn't lurch. The only people I've seen mention this are coming from Teslas or, frankly, looking for critique. The Taycan has some characteristics a bit like a traditional ICE car, but the transmission doesn't "lurch". It just IS a transmission compared to a Tesla.

Still, if you're on the fence do not buy a Taycan. It's a very different experience and you should really be prepared to fully buy into it.

OP
OP
rquinton

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
If you're unsure, I'd wait.

Part of the "WOW" factor is the electric drivetrain. Everyone finds it cool at first but that opinion can change. Some people grow to miss the sound of an engine, some people absolutely love the electric and never want to go back. Of course, you can't get anywhere near this performance in a NA engine without spending several times the amount of money and giving up a lot of comfort/practicality.

As for small glitches and such, I've said it a thousand times but I'll say it again.. if you're looking for a technology first car don't buy a Porsche. It's funny that a few years ago we were complaining on Porsche forums about mandatory backup cameras, now we're complaining they aren't HD enough.

The car doesn't lurch. The only people I've seen mention this are coming from Teslas or, frankly, looking for critique. The Taycan has some characteristics a bit like a traditional ICE car, but the transmission doesn't "lurch". It just IS a transmission compared to a Tesla.

Still, if you're on the fence do not buy a Taycan. It's a very different experience and you should really be prepared to fully buy into it.
Several of the people have come from Teslas. I have never owned a Tesla so I can only go on my 911 and Cayenne experience. I have driven the Turbo and thought it was a great fun ride. I was going to order a 4S. I do think Tesla owners want more tech and less performance. I am looking for performance first, electric next and then technology.

Thoughts on the backup camera?

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thoughts on the backup camera?
If you would even think about buying or not buying a $150k car based on the back up camera, you should just go buy something else since it seems you are looking for reasons not to buy. Especially for someone who claims: " I am looking for performance first" The backup camera will NOT have any impact on performance

Several of the people have come from Teslas.
Not a surprise. What is surprising is that with relatively so few deliveries you already heard from several people who went from Tesla's to Taycans and are now disappointed. They presumably know what EVs are about and wouldn't have moved to another EV without doing enough test drives and research to know if they should ditch their Tesla.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I've owned both Tesla's and now a Taycan - the shift is perceptible but only if you're "waiting" for it - in normal driving and most circumstances the car is beautifully seamless…please test drive one for yourself before believing any negative reactions from the internet.

The Taycan is a landmark in automotive history as it's the first truly competitive car vs. Tesla on a working/functionality and fully realized EV - this does not mean it's perfect, but Porsche has done a wonderful job and the car is a joy to drive. The 2 speed transmission is not an issue and plays a limited role in any normal driving circumstances

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
if you care about a "small" and nearly imperceptible "lurch" while the car silently whisk's you to 60 mph and beyond in less than 3 or 4 seconds (2 seater hyper car territory just a few years ago) - and then keeps pulling all the way to 120 mph and beyond I'm really honestly not sure what to say…same car the next day for me carried 8 boxes of crap for me since I'm moving house currently - and then I charged it overnight in my house using my solar power credits from the previous day's production…

there are two problems with the Taycan - and _ONLY_ two problems
  1. the Price - it is too much money for what it is - but it's not too much money for a Porsche and there are reasons for it's pricing (another thread)
  2. the fast charging network is "evolving" and not quite baked yet - so it's not as good as some competitor's EV's if you want to do EV road trips…
everything else "wrong" with this car is serious princess and the pea material - it's a joy to drive, and a serious looker - the car is magnetic and draws people to it - multiple strangers approach me daily to worship at the masterpiece of visual design that this car is…

if you want a non-Tesla EV that's really really good this is an excellent choice and will not disappoint.

I embarrassed a Ferrari 488 at a stop light the other day in a 4 door sedan that seats 5 and gets nearly 90 mpg in normal driving circumstances - ummmm might I suggest you're over thinking this just a tad…

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The only people I've seen mention this are coming from Teslas or, frankly, looking for critique.
Or, they actually aren't coming from a Telsa (e.g don't actually own a Taycan, and may not even own a Tesla) but rather are just fans of Tesla and are into the critique. Why would all these Tesla people make a move to the Taycan without driving it and deciding if it has enough wow and they can live with the "lurching" of the car ;)

OP
OP
rquinton

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've owned both Tesla's and now a Taycan - the shift is perceptible but only if you're "waiting" for it - in normal driving and most circumstances the car is beautifully seamless…please test drive one for yourself before believing any negative reactions from the internet.

The Taycan is a landmark relates in automotive history as it's the first truly competitive car vs. Tesla on a working/functionality and fully realized EV - this does not mean it's perfect, but Porsche has done a wonderful job and the car is a joy to drive. The 2 speed transmission is not an issue and plays a limited role in any normal driving circumstances
Thank you for your candid comments. I am not trying to find a reason not to buy. I love the idea and have watched this car like all of us from 2015. I am not looking to be picky about certain things about the car, I was looking for overall satisfaction factor as most of us are coming from another Porsche and our expectations are different than those who come from other ICE cars or an EV.

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
i personally did not bother with any driver aids, I just think they are over rated, I do not even have the back up camera. For me the basic stuff is fine.

have not noticed lurching, for me i just wanted a performance electric. if Audi or BMW had done it first, I would be on their forum. it just so happened to be a porsche

DragonRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Had a Taycan TTS, now have an Aston DBS, RR SVR, F-Type S, Ford Ranger Wildcat
Country flag
I have not driven a Tesla, all my experience is from petrol and diesel cars. I am still waiting for my Taycan which is due this week.. maybe.. However I test drove a Taycan Turbo for about 170 miles a couple of weeks ago. At no point did I notice the gear change without thinking about it specifically and even then it really was hard to detect.

On the subject of the "wow factor". The car felt super planted and felt better than my F90 M5 through corners. This is impressive because the current gen M5 handles really well. On UK roads the car ticks all of the main performance boxes. It is an overtaking monster, no waiting or preparation it is all over before I would have started the maneuver in another car. Setting off from a small side road onto a 70mph dual carriageway and joining the traffic flow is ridiculous. If you see a gap you may as well be in it. I've done this same junction in several insanely quick cars and they just can't do the instant response of the Taycan at all.

My only complaint about the performance - well it is almost too clever. Being heavy it grips like nothing else even in the wet so some of the fun/scare factor is lost.

I missed the exhaust a bit but the fake electric sound is actually pretty good. I couldn't find a way to turn it up though!

Overall the car didn't truly "wow" me but I did like it. The car felt very next generation even if the functional tech is not quite up there with Teslas or even current generation Mercedes. I really like the curved display. Very clean look. You feel like you are in a sports car. Seats are good, interior in general is "Porsche".

Niggles:
There were at least two rattles on the passenger side. I could hear them a bit but my passengers said they were annoying.
There was a stitch of thread out slap bang in the middle of the dashboard.
The nearside front headlight had a lot of moisture in it.
I had a bit of range anxiety.. 30 miles left when I got it back to the dealer and I felt a bit uncomfortable about it.
I was dissappointed with the lack of information about battery status although I may have missed something.
Sound was a bit naff (or so it seemed) from the standard sound system.

Last edited:

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
I test drove one today and am still WOW'd by it - it was an absolute pleasure to be in and drive, but it is what it is - a fully electric 4/5 seater GT weighing in at over 2 tonnes - not a 2 seater petrol-guzzling 911.

Interesting on the shift... i had 1 episode of this during my hour in the car (i didn't give it any sympathy ;)) where it noticeably paused and lurched me forward in the seat in a period of continued acceleration in normal mode at about 60mph. It reminded me of my Golf DSG when it kicks down - but i was foot to the floor from about 20mph!

At all other points it was completely seemless, but it took me by surprise when it did happen!

OP
OP
rquinton

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I test drove one today and am still WOW'd by it - it was an absolute pleasure to be in and drive, but it is what it is - a fully electric 4/5 seater GT weighing in at over 2 tonnes - not a 2 seater petrol-guzzling 911.

Interesting on the shift... i had 1 episode of this during my hour in the car (i didn't give it any sympathy ;)) where it noticeably paused and lurched me forward in the seat in a period of continued acceleration in normal mode at about 60mph. It reminded me of my Golf DSG when it kicks down - but i was foot to the floor from about 20mph!

At all other points it was completely seamless, but it took me by surprise when it did happen!
So it only happened once, did the salesman say anything about it? I wonder why it only does it for some and not others unless it is very subtle.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
If you want good software and don’t care about ride/quality get a Tesla. For me, being a tech guy, you might think I’d buy a Tesla. But believe me, the quality of a Porsche is so much better I laugh at Tesla drivers.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

At all other points it was completely seemless, but it took me by surprise when it did happen!
Did you have it in normal or range mode by chance? The behavior is exaggerated under intense acceleration when in a comfort mode, just as with any transmission. The car doesn't expect sporty driving when in a comfort setting and will be slower to react. Put it in Sport or Sport Plus and you shouldn't experience that.

As a matter of fact, just put it in Sport or Sport Plus and leave it there forever.
Sponsored