Have any of you had a problem-free Taycan experience?

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
I'm trying to determine if the wide variety of problems described on this forum are (1) common amongst Taycan owners in general or, conversely, (2) most owners are problem-free but simply don't post on venues like this one.

I've been driving 911s for about twenty years now. My current vehicle is a 2015 911 Turbo S, which has run flawlessly for six years. Pretty much all of my 911s have been awesome. I just drive the car off the lot, bring it in for maintenance when the display tells me to, and don't even think twice about reliability.

I infer from the threads on this forum that the Taycan is in some kind of strange beta-test phase; not really suitable for production use in the real world, but perhaps a fun hobby project for retirees and EV enthusiasts with multiple vehicles, to be used only as a secondary or tertiary car.

The 2021 Taycan Turbo S I have on order (due Jun 4) will be my daily driver. I've never owned more than one car. The idea of having to buy an additional vehicle as a backup for when the Taycan inevitably and unexpectedly 'bricks' itself isn't terribly appealing to me.

My dealer says if I want to back out, maybe get another 911 Turbo S, not a problem. I can always get my deposit back. And I might do just that. But before I do, I thought I'd post here and see if any of you have actually had a relatively trouble-free experience with your Taycan. I'd really like to convince myself that I'll be one of lucky few who get a solid vehicle, but that may just be magical thinking on my part. If the community consensus is more along the lines of, "Dude, you're a beta tester. Of course you're going to have major problems and the car will leave you stranded and be in the shop for weeks at a time. Deal with it." -- well, then maybe I should stick with the 911, or perhaps Tesla if I want to migrate to electric.

If you ended up with a solid and reliable Taycan, not necessarily perfect, but all major components are working as advertised, I'd love to hear your story! Maybe I can maintain sufficient enthusiasm to stay on track for my delivery.
MY only issues since owning the car are software related and the fact Porsche N America has untrained staff that are useless to speak to re problems. My software never worked right from day 1 then mysteriously 5 months later on March 1, 2021 everything started working. Dealer has no idea why everything started to work. I am taking my car in tomorrow for a 2 day software update that all 2020 Taycan's are receiving. As far as the mechanical aspects of the car- the car is great, drives amazingly, range is great and the car is super fast. All said EV is the future for VW and Porche from what I read so I say buy a Taycan.
Sponsored

Ken Casa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
In Thailand where we have 28-36 C all year round.

I had my 4S in October 2020. Never used Apps and PCM. Bought my own Home Charger from Wall Box brand.

No issue at all. Now 7,000 Kilo meters.

Love the car. This is my first Porsche.

Install Solar cell at home. Feel good about Zero emission contribution. And really looking forward to seeing potentially less maintenance over the year compare to ICE car.

Swede-ish

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Land Rover Defender 110, BMW 530e
Country flag
I've said it before. When you go on a forum, it's mostly because you have a problem, or you want a problem to have something to b...ch about. 99% of Taycan drivers don't even know this forum exist. The other 1% consist of 0.5% problem owners, and 0.5% "enthusiasts" ;) Disclaimer: the %-ages are not statistically confirmed. My 2020 Taycan Turbo now has 5k miles+ with no problems, except the occasional charging (read EA) issue. I love it, and I get more than the normal supercar "thumbs up" when driving it. Get one - you won't regret it! So fun and better than any ICE car.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve had an occasional PCM issue, but nothing that stopped me from driving and enjoying this car.

I do read this forum to stay informed, and to learn from those with previous EV experience.

Count me as a very satisfied owner :)

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Yes.
3 months into ownership.
Just the odd little pcm glitch, but most of those have seemingly been ironed out with the latest update. If I’m honest most of my issues have revolved around car play & the way it interacts with the pcm.
Car turns head & drives fantastically so really glad I bought it.

GNB

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Mechanically the car is fine. While driving on the freeway I heard a clunk but never saw anything, even when searching in the rear view mirror. There were no external signs of damage on the car. The vehicle height was "normal" but shortly I started to get messages that the coolant level was low. It turns out that the vehicle has a radiator and it was cracked. Apparently the design allows it to protrude further than the car body & frame. Repair took one month and not covered by warranty.
The software is a mess, to be generous with my assessment.

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm trying to determine if the wide variety of problems described on this forum are (1) common amongst Taycan owners in general or, conversely, (2) most owners are problem-free but simply don't post on venues like this one.

I've been driving 911s for about twenty years now. My current vehicle is a 2015 911 Turbo S, which has run flawlessly for six years. Pretty much all of my 911s have been awesome. I just drive the car off the lot, bring it in for maintenance when the display tells me to, and don't even think twice about reliability.

I infer from the threads on this forum that the Taycan is in some kind of strange beta-test phase; not really suitable for production use in the real world, but perhaps a fun hobby project for retirees and EV enthusiasts with multiple vehicles, to be used only as a secondary or tertiary car.

The 2021 Taycan Turbo S I have on order (due Jun 4) will be my daily driver. I've never owned more than one car. The idea of having to buy an additional vehicle as a backup for when the Taycan inevitably and unexpectedly 'bricks' itself isn't terribly appealing to me.

My dealer says if I want to back out, maybe get another 911 Turbo S, not a problem. I can always get my deposit back. And I might do just that. But before I do, I thought I'd post here and see if any of you have actually had a relatively trouble-free experience with your Taycan. I'd really like to convince myself that I'll be one of lucky few who get a solid vehicle, but that may just be magical thinking on my part. If the community consensus is more along the lines of, "Dude, you're a beta tester. Of course you're going to have major problems and the car will leave you stranded and be in the shop for weeks at a time. Deal with it." -- well, then maybe I should stick with the 911, or perhaps Tesla if I want to migrate to electric.

If you ended up with a solid and reliable Taycan, not necessarily perfect, but all major components are working as advertised, I'd love to hear your story! Maybe I can maintain sufficient enthusiasm to stay on track for my delivery.
No issues whatsoever except keyless entry stopped working a few weeks ago and even dealership is a bit baffled since no obvious reason - so having this fixed during the recall + software update service.

caytan

First Name
Zim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 4S
Country flag
Well, in my case Taycan is the worst car I ever had, and I had some really POS cars. In first 18 months of ownership it spent 10% of that time in the shop. Its currently on its second week in the shop for recalls and updates...

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well, in my case Taycan is the worst car I ever had, and I had some really POS cars. In first 18 months of ownership it spent 10% of that time in the shop. Its currently on its second week in the shop for recalls and updates...
That sounds awful. I had an experience like that with a Volvo once and it soured me on the brand.

While I've had a great Taycan 4s experience (not one issue other than the usual flakiness with the PCM at times), that has clearly not been your experience.

Sometimes a lemon slips through the cracks, and so my suggestion is that you use the hot used-Taycan market to your advantage and trade-in your 2020 4s for another vehicle.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
In first 18 months of ownership it spent 10% of that time in the shop. Its currently on its second week in the shop for recalls and updates...
I guess that can happen.
I've had my Taycan for 9 months now and it was in the shop for 1 day (for one of the software updates, maybe WNA6?) As I think back, my cars average about two days per year for service and I drive 14,000 miles per year. The Taycan doesn't seem to be any worse than other cars I had before.

Wrtflyr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In 13 months of ownership my 2021 4S has been trouble free. The only service has been for updates , front windshield because of rock crack , and one flat tire due to nail! This is my 8th Porsche and each one has been an upgrade in performance and styling! The Taycan has continued to raise that bar!
Porsche Taycan Have any of you had a problem-free Taycan experience? 601A8C03-FE22-4F7F-8978-AED03A3A8224

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
In 13 months of ownership my 2021 4S has been trouble free. The only service has been for updates , front windshield because of rock crack , and one flat tire due to nail! This is my 8th Porsche and each one has been an upgrade in performance and styling! The Taycan has continued to raise that bar!
601A8C03-FE22-4F7F-8978-AED03A3A8224.jpeg
Love that Ice Grey color!!

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well, there's some relatively objective stats that will show the Taycan worse than average P car.
For example, recalls per year.

There's a number of promises/claims they walked back from (range, charging speed, OTA availability).

There's also the fact that, if you're in the US, EA doesn't get close to a certain other charging network. (Hopefully addressed by us getting access to that other network soon soon)

So, all in all.... IMHO we really are paying to live on the bleeding edge for Porsche.

You may or may not decide to embrace that. But IMHO it's quite clearly what's happening.

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
No problems so far. I’ve had my MY 21 RWD for a year, and driven over 3,000 miles.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well, there's some relatively objective stats that will show the Taycan worse than average P car.
For example, recalls per year.

There's a number of promises/claims they walked back from (range, charging speed, OTA availability).

There's also the fact that, if you're in the US, EA doesn't get close to a certain other charging network. (Hopefully addressed by us getting access to that other network soon soon)

So, all in all.... IMHO we really are paying to live on the bleeding edge for Porsche.

You may or may not decide to embrace that. But IMHO it's quite clearly what's happening.
I don't see the situation quite the same way. I've had 2 recalls in the past year, and I expected something like that. If it were every month or two, then that would be unacceptable. But in the case of a new model with all new software I think it's about right. Frankly, I don't want major SW updates to be done over the air at this time since that sort of thing can and does fail periodically. I prefer to be using a loaner and let the dealer sort that out.

Regarding OTA, I've been very satisfied. I had Active Lane Keeping installed OTA and its worked fine. There have also been many map and music updates over time (I don't even keep track of them at this point).

Range was a concern to me at the beginning, but I've noticed that I've become comfortable with using the EA network over time. I've taken many road trips and found the EA chargers generally work as advertised. Is there a dead charger here and there? Absolutely, but I always get charged at the same station anyway, just with one of the working chargers. Do I wish it were more robust and more wide-spread? You betcha, and I would love having access to the Tesla Supercharger network if that becomes possible in the coming year :)

I do agree that we have been on the bleeding edge of Porsche's leap into EVs, but that's what I expected so I'm not at all disappointed. My recommendation to everyone who is not up for this sort of adventure is to sell the Taycan now since the market is really hot at the moment. People who want a Taycan are waiting 2 years for their delivery, and they are eager to pay above market.

My two bits of course ...
Sponsored