Have any of you had a problem-free Taycan experience?

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I know this is probably a stupid question but..... If the 12 volt battery finds itself in a situation where it's at 0%, why couldn't it just charge itself from the main battery that powers the engine? I mean they're all connected, right?
That’s exactly what it does. The bug causes this function to stop working. The 12v battery is quite small and will die after only a few hours.

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Yes. Trouble free for me.
July 4S+ MY20 build, purchased from dealer in October with demo miles less than 1000, no test drive launch control and CPO.
August update required before sale.
3700 mile now in winter and snow no problem.
Occasional software glitches. Nothing a key fob lock of the car has not been able to fix.
All good and a pleasure to drive.
I was able to keep my 2008 911 C4S manual and it feels slow now.
Taycan is a completely different driving experience.
Electric is incredible!
I am fortunate and quite happy.

Last edited:

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
I know this is probably a stupid question but..... If the 12 volt battery finds itself in a situation where it's at 0%, why couldn't it just charge itself from the main battery that powers the engine? I mean they're all connected, right?
12V battery does not get to 0%. The 12V battery management system senses a continual draw that should not be there (according to it's logic) and shuts the 12V battery down.

It is part of the battery management system for a LiFePO4 and can happen on any car that has a LiFePO4 battery. My 991.2 out down on me once before and I had to wake it back up with a charger (I had the doors open all day when detailing the car and drained the battery).

The big question is WHY the 12V battery is shutting down. I have extensively researched what could be the possible causes and there is no definitive solution right now.

There is quite a bit of good information here in the forum, hopefully the issue(s) are isolated soon and we can all put this behind us.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
9000km, no issues​
Car is a year old (Turbo S).​
OTA-module is replaced twice (so app is useless) and wing alignment.
Nothing serious.
Never had the 12V issue.
Car is performing flawlessly.
User interface is somewhat annoying but it's not as bad as people say it is.

Last edited:

CJE

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Ford GT (part owner)
Country flag
I'm trying to determine if the wide variety of problems described on this forum are (1) common amongst Taycan owners in general or, conversely, (2) most owners are problem-free but simply don't post on venues like this one.

I've been driving 911s for about twenty years now. My current vehicle is a 2015 911 Turbo S, which has run flawlessly for six years. Pretty much all of my 911s have been awesome. I just drive the car off the lot, bring it in for maintenance when the display tells me to, and don't even think twice about reliability.

I infer from the threads on this forum that the Taycan is in some kind of strange beta-test phase; not really suitable for production use in the real world, but perhaps a fun hobby project for retirees and EV enthusiasts with multiple vehicles, to be used only as a secondary or tertiary car.

The 2021 Taycan Turbo S I have on order (due Jun 4) will be my daily driver. I've never owned more than one car. The idea of having to buy an additional vehicle as a backup for when the Taycan inevitably and unexpectedly 'bricks' itself isn't terribly appealing to me.

My dealer says if I want to back out, maybe get another 911 Turbo S, not a problem. I can always get my deposit back. And I might do just that. But before I do, I thought I'd post here and see if any of you have actually had a relatively trouble-free experience with your Taycan. I'd really like to convince myself that I'll be one of lucky few who get a solid vehicle, but that may just be magical thinking on my part. If the community consensus is more along the lines of, "Dude, you're a beta tester. Of course you're going to have major problems and the car will leave you stranded and be in the shop for weeks at a time. Deal with it." -- well, then maybe I should stick with the 911, or perhaps Tesla if I want to migrate to electric.

If you ended up with a solid and reliable Taycan, not necessarily perfect, but all major components are working as advertised, I'd love to hear your story! Maybe I can maintain sufficient enthusiasm to stay on track for my delivery.
Got my 2020 Turbo S in July. It was our 10th Porsche. I've stopped driving our 911 Turbo S because the Taycan is so damn fun and so unusually special. No issues at all, except that there are not enough charging stations to inspire a road trip. I had a Tesla Model S for 7 years and was used to easy charging.

I expect the charging program to get better fast. How can Porsche not attend to this!

Get yours. It's too special to leave to others.

Codeias

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST (MY23), 911 Carrera 4 GTS (997)
Country flag
MY21 4S, picked up early December... no issues at all... don’t tend to use the connect app, just don’t see the need for it. Set 85% max charge on PCM and plugin when needed, job done. Amazing bit of engineering, both inside and out.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
Zero probs so far, but only 10+ days of test drives w/ different models.
My very own will be delivered in April.

terryS

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Bentley GTC
Country flag
MY20 4s.. 6,200 mi.. had it since July 2020... No problems that I couldn't solve by turning the car off and restarting. Bigger problems with the apps than the car

bswets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
2020 4s here. Bought in Oct, now have 11,000 miles (two long road trips, several short ones). A few PCM glitches (Bluetooth dropping, minor annoyances) and range mode speed limiting with "Intelligent" Range Manager is a pain. But flawless drive, flawless charging, never a 12V issue - absolutely love this car.
Sponsored