Have any of you had a problem-free Taycan experience?

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 Turbo S, 2021 TTS (June 11)
Country flag
I'm trying to determine if the wide variety of problems described on this forum are (1) common amongst Taycan owners in general or, conversely, (2) most owners are problem-free but simply don't post on venues like this one.

I've been driving 911s for about twenty years now. My current vehicle is a 2015 911 Turbo S, which has run flawlessly for six years. Pretty much all of my 911s have been awesome. I just drive the car off the lot, bring it in for maintenance when the display tells me to, and don't even think twice about reliability.

I infer from the threads on this forum that the Taycan is in some kind of strange beta-test phase; not really suitable for production use in the real world, but perhaps a fun hobby project for retirees and EV enthusiasts with multiple vehicles, to be used only as a secondary or tertiary car.

The 2021 Taycan Turbo S I have on order (due Jun 4) will be my daily driver. I've never owned more than one car. The idea of having to buy an additional vehicle as a backup for when the Taycan inevitably and unexpectedly 'bricks' itself isn't terribly appealing to me.

My dealer says if I want to back out, maybe get another 911 Turbo S, not a problem. I can always get my deposit back. And I might do just that. But before I do, I thought I'd post here and see if any of you have actually had a relatively trouble-free experience with your Taycan. I'd really like to convince myself that I'll be one of lucky few who get a solid vehicle, but that may just be magical thinking on my part. If the community consensus is more along the lines of, "Dude, you're a beta tester. Of course you're going to have major problems and the car will leave you stranded and be in the shop for weeks at a time. Deal with it." -- well, then maybe I should stick with the 911, or perhaps Tesla if I want to migrate to electric.

If you ended up with a solid and reliable Taycan, not necessarily perfect, but all major components are working as advertised, I'd love to hear your story! Maybe I can maintain sufficient enthusiasm to stay on track for my delivery.
Sponsored

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Nearly 10k miles, 12 volt issue once, other than that a few software glitches but nothing that has stopped me driving the car. Last car was a 911 4S, don’t miss it one bit. Taycan is so much better for my style of ‘comfort first’.

OP
OP
festus_mcBitcoin

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nearly 10k miles, 12 volt issue once, other than that a few software glitches but nothing that has stopped me driving the car. Last car was a 911 4S, don’t miss it one bit. Taycan is so much better for my style of ‘comfort first’.
Did your 12 volt issue leave you stranded or were you able to detect it and abort the bad charge before battery was completely depleted?

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Did your 12 volt issue leave you stranded or were you able to detect it and abort the bad charge before battery was completely depleted?
I had to call out assistance, I was away from home in a hotel multi-storey car park. I was driving within 90 minutes. After that I went and bought a battery back charger that fits in the glove box. But never had to use it. I think a update I got ages ago fixed the issue.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
280 miles so far ? . I have studied this forum INTENSLY and was expecting lots of things. I have not had anything negative so far. Porsche sold over 20.000 Taycans. It might not be as bad as we think.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I'm trying to determine if the wide variety of problems described on this forum are (1) common amongst Taycan owners in general or, conversely, (2) most owners are problem-free but simply don't post on venues like this one.

I've been driving 911s for about twenty years now. My current vehicle is a 2015 911 Turbo S, which has run flawlessly for six years. Pretty much all of my 911s have been awesome. I just drive the car off the lot, bring it in for maintenance when the display tells me to, and don't even think twice about reliability.

I infer from the threads on this forum that the Taycan is in some kind of strange beta-test phase; not really suitable for production use in the real world, but perhaps a fun hobby project for retirees and EV enthusiasts with multiple vehicles, to be used only as a secondary or tertiary car.

The 2021 Taycan Turbo S I have on order (due Jun 4) will be my daily driver. I've never owned more than one car. The idea of having to buy an additional vehicle as a backup for when the Taycan inevitably and unexpectedly 'bricks' itself isn't terribly appealing to me.

My dealer says if I want to back out, maybe get another 911 Turbo S, not a problem. I can always get my deposit back. And I might do just that. But before I do, I thought I'd post here and see if any of you have actually had a relatively trouble-free experience with your Taycan. I'd really like to convince myself that I'll be one of lucky few who get a solid vehicle, but that may just be magical thinking on my part. If the community consensus is more along the lines of, "Dude, you're a beta tester. Of course you're going to have major problems and the car will leave you stranded and be in the shop for weeks at a time. Deal with it." -- well, then maybe I should stick with the 911, or perhaps Tesla if I want to migrate to electric.

If you ended up with a solid and reliable Taycan, not necessarily perfect, but all major components are working as advertised, I'd love to hear your story! Maybe I can maintain sufficient enthusiasm to stay on track for my delivery.
Mine has just over 15k kms. My only problems were resolved quickly and were not at all impeding normal function. Twice the OTA module was replaced, which made the app non-functioning and the spoiler which after a couple of months was not flush. I was always given an appointment and a loaner. I am impressed with the abilities of the car and unimpressed with the software. Service is as expected from a manufacturer at this price point. Hope to have the car’s software updated soon to include a few features introduced in the MY2021. There are a few niggles that need to be addressed in the software and ergonomic choices, but I believe they are working hard to improve continually.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - 2020
Country flag
I had to call out assistance, I was away from home in a hotel multi-storey car park. I was driving within 90 minutes. After that I went and bought a battery back charger that fits in the glove box. But never had to use it. I think a update I got ages ago fixed the issue.
I do this with every car, too good of a thing to not have always.

Reactions: dan
OP
OP
festus_mcBitcoin

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I do this with every car, too good of a thing to not have always.
I know this is probably a stupid question but..... If the 12 volt battery finds itself in a situation where it's at 0%, why couldn't it just charge itself from the main battery that powers the engine? I mean they're all connected, right?

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I know this is probably a stupid question but..... If the 12 volt battery finds itself in a situation where it's at 0%, why couldn't it just charge itself from the main battery that powers the engine? I mean they're all connected, right?
Your question is way too obvious and straightforward.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The car is already detecting that the 12v battery is running low and it is disconnecting it from the rest of the car when its voltage is ~11v to protect it from being completely depleted which is very bad for Li batteries. So what people describe "dead 12v battery" is actually not a dead battery, it is a disconnected battery and that is why the car is a total brick and you cannot even unlock it. Jump starting provides power to the computer to turn on and reconnect the 12v battery to the rest of the car.

What you propose is that the car instead of disconnecting the battery should instead charge it from the main battery. However we don't know how the charging system works. It might require the whole car to be "On", so now imagine suddenly the car turning on on its own, without a driver and without the key being nearby. The solution to charge behind the scenes might require a signifficant software and possibly hardware re-architecture.

BayAreaJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Just 1 month and 2000 miles so far.
  • Mechanical = No issues what so ever
  • Software = occasional "minor" glitches but nothing that prevents me from driving or getting from point A-B (with fun)
  • Down time: Planned downtime (with loaner car) next week for SW update. No unplanned downtime.
  • Range: Predicted range was ~200miles for MY21 TTS. With 21"+ my lead foot driving style, I estimated 180-200. But pleasantly surprised to consistently get 250 miles range (with 200 miles of actual driving with ~50miles buffer)
  • Performance & overall satisfaction: AMAZING. I get a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel and look for excuses to drive.
  • Concern (not a Taycan issue): This car is very hard to "stay under the radar" while driving or parking. So I do not take it to "questionable" places/parking lots to avoid attention.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag

you need to grasp that the car is more than a car, it is also a computer, and like all computers there is going to be a little wonkiness. I do not think that you need to be concerned about bricking the car, that is quite difficult to do. the issues I see here, 12v battery and slow connections seem to be getting addressed and in the case of PCM connection really do not affect the drivability of the car. I am a month in and after an initial disaster with EA charging that I've narrowed down to the APP not working properly, a rattle inside, which seems to be a common and easily addressed issue the car is solid.
I think once you get familiar with your new taycan you might not ever go back to the 911.
Sponsored

Last edited: