Have any of you had a problem-free Taycan experience?

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Only a few hundred miles since I picked it up in November, but no problems with the car. There's a slight sag in the spoiler but not enough for me to even bother contacting the dealer.
Sponsored

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
Almost 4,000 miles, no major issues at all. Most vehicle forums are the same, you will get a lot of people posting about issues with the vehicle. This being a first year vehicle and new tech at that, there will be more problems than usual, but I would say this platform has no more issues than any other.

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Only issue I had was getting the correct tire pressure when switching wheels. Which is of my own doing.
Getting ready to drive from NY to Florida in May for the Ameli Island Concours :)

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
I'm trying to determine if the wide variety of problems described on this forum are (1) common amongst Taycan owners in general or, conversely, (2) most owners are problem-free but simply don't post on venues like this one.

I've been driving 911s for about twenty years now. My current vehicle is a 2015 911 Turbo S, which has run flawlessly for six years. Pretty much all of my 911s have been awesome. I just drive the car off the lot, bring it in for maintenance when the display tells me to, and don't even think twice about reliability.

I infer from the threads on this forum that the Taycan is in some kind of strange beta-test phase; not really suitable for production use in the real world, but perhaps a fun hobby project for retirees and EV enthusiasts with multiple vehicles, to be used only as a secondary or tertiary car.

The 2021 Taycan Turbo S I have on order (due Jun 4) will be my daily driver. I've never owned more than one car. The idea of having to buy an additional vehicle as a backup for when the Taycan inevitably and unexpectedly 'bricks' itself isn't terribly appealing to me.

My dealer says if I want to back out, maybe get another 911 Turbo S, not a problem. I can always get my deposit back. And I might do just that. But before I do, I thought I'd post here and see if any of you have actually had a relatively trouble-free experience with your Taycan. I'd really like to convince myself that I'll be one of lucky few who get a solid vehicle, but that may just be magical thinking on my part. If the community consensus is more along the lines of, "Dude, you're a beta tester. Of course you're going to have major problems and the car will leave you stranded and be in the shop for weeks at a time. Deal with it." -- well, then maybe I should stick with the 911, or perhaps Tesla if I want to migrate to electric.

If you ended up with a solid and reliable Taycan, not necessarily perfect, but all major components are working as advertised, I'd love to hear your story! Maybe I can maintain sufficient enthusiasm to stay on track for my delivery.
I picked up my 4S in late February and only have 500 miles on the care so I cannot really comment on the problems/issues that are discussed on the Forum.................... But I can tell you that I would not own any - and I mean any - electric car without having an ICE car as well. Not necessarily as a back-up but as being useful if (a) I need to make a longish unplanned drive and the Taycan is not charged enough for the drive, (b) for a long drive where I won't have the time to stop and make a charging stop(s) along the way, (c) a long trip that takes me out of the way for charging stops (therefore making a 5 hour trip into an 8 hour trip), etc. Don't get me wrong I intend to take the car on long trips when I have the time to make charging stops and when I have the trip well planned out. But.............I will also have an ICE car - always - for those days/trips when I need the convince of quick fueling stops.

thedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
After having my 2020 turbo for 4 days, I was going to drive it to work for the first time. It was bricked. I may have left the interior lights on when I was playing with all the settings the night before. The car locked itself. I had to use the emergency key to open it and then open the front trunk using the fuse box. It took me awhile but I got the car to wake up with a charger on the 12volt. But it was undrivable. So I had to get it towed in. They had to order a new battery from Porsche in Germany. They patch updated the software, and the final fix software is coming soon. It’s been working fine with the patches. I traded in a 2012 911 Turbo S for this car. Yes, it’s a beta tester. But I think of it like the iPhone. The hardware is fine. They are still patching the software. But with every update it gets better with the iPhone. I have no regrets. The power is immense compared to the turbo S. It’s just always there. No lag. I get car sick still from driving it because I’m not used to the instant acceleration. The power is everyday usable also. When I used the power in the 911 turbo S, I would empty half the tank. The range was about 190 miles before the empty light went on and that’s with conservative driving.. With the Taycan turbo, I have a full tank every night to play with. Electric is without a doubt the future.

Jraeven

First Name
Joop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Turbo (cab), Cayenne S, AMG GT-C, Audi R8
Country flag
Well received both my Taycan Turbo and my wife's 922 Turbo cab in the same week. Both cars work flawless, as expected form Porsche. According to my dealer the Taycan 2021 models with new software are better. My Tyacan is just perfect; what a car. Being a 911 owner for 20 year, have to be honnest. If I had to select between the two I would take the Taycan.

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I'm trying to determine if the wide variety of problems described on this forum are (1) common amongst Taycan owners in general or, conversely, (2) most owners are problem-free but simply don't post on venues like this one.

I've been driving 911s for about twenty years now. My current vehicle is a 2015 911 Turbo S, which has run flawlessly for six years. Pretty much all of my 911s have been awesome. I just drive the car off the lot, bring it in for maintenance when the display tells me to, and don't even think twice about reliability.

I infer from the threads on this forum that the Taycan is in some kind of strange beta-test phase; not really suitable for production use in the real world, but perhaps a fun hobby project for retirees and EV enthusiasts with multiple vehicles, to be used only as a secondary or tertiary car.

The 2021 Taycan Turbo S I have on order (due Jun 4) will be my daily driver. I've never owned more than one car. The idea of having to buy an additional vehicle as a backup for when the Taycan inevitably and unexpectedly 'bricks' itself isn't terribly appealing to me.

My dealer says if I want to back out, maybe get another 911 Turbo S, not a problem. I can always get my deposit back. And I might do just that. But before I do, I thought I'd post here and see if any of you have actually had a relatively trouble-free experience with your Taycan. I'd really like to convince myself that I'll be one of lucky few who get a solid vehicle, but that may just be magical thinking on my part. If the community consensus is more along the lines of, "Dude, you're a beta tester. Of course you're going to have major problems and the car will leave you stranded and be in the shop for weeks at a time. Deal with it." -- well, then maybe I should stick with the 911, or perhaps Tesla if I want to migrate to electric.

If you ended up with a solid and reliable Taycan, not necessarily perfect, but all major components are working as advertised, I'd love to hear your story! Maybe I can maintain sufficient enthusiasm to stay on track for my delivery.
My TTS was delivered in July 2020. I have now driven 10.000 km with it and it never let me down. Yes I have had the OTA module problems meaning that the App was not communicating with the car ( not sure whether you with the new 911 TS can connect to your car with an App). When the OTA module was replaced I got a latest model 911 TS convertible as loaner. Absolute nice car but I don't want to trade in my tts for it. I prefer the tts over the 911 ts.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
summary for most: A few software annoyances and glitches. :D
also true for me, but it can really hurt if you insist on listening to Apple music right now.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
I have a TTS MY2020. Mechanically its a true Porsche! Electronically its still in somewhat of a beta stage...... But that said, I have driven mine as my daily driver since June 2020 and have logged up 20000km in all weather and road conditions. Its really as fun as they all say it is an possibly even better than that. So if you have not already gotten cold feet, DON'T!! You will absolutely love it even if you have some software glitches that have not been fully worked out yet.

cgfrndpor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-Tron; 2021 4S; ex_BMW540
Country flag
I know this is probably a stupid question but..... If the 12 volt battery finds itself in a situation where it's at 0%, why couldn't it just charge itself from the main battery that powers the engine? I mean they're all connected, right?
I have never seen an explanation, but all EV's that I know of do not charge their 12v battery when off. There are many reports of 12v battery problems for other cars including 1d.3 and etron that i know of. Would be curious to know what the constraint is.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
2020 4s here. Bought in Oct, now have 11,000 miles (two long road trips, several short ones). A few PCM glitches (Bluetooth dropping, minor annoyances) and range mode speed limiting with "Intelligent" Range Manager is a pain. But flawless drive, flawless charging, never a 12V issue - absolutely love this car.
Can the range manager be disabled?
Sponsored