Have Porsche got the regen strategy (one pedal driving) right?

Should the Taycan have one pedal driving?

• Total voters

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I don’t think anyone is suggesting to use the full regen (265kW) when the pedal is lifted. I think they just want more than what’s currently available. Or really, just to have it be adjustable.

Although, really, I’m with the guy that said more pedals; not less.

Does anyone know how much regen there is with overrun on (not auto) now?

I was thinking of buying a draggy and doing some testing. I could probably get close just timing it, but I thought the draggy would help make it more precise. But if someone already has the information…
Fair point.
Sponsored

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
No, not at all. On a Tesla, regen is not an all or nothing thing. You want a little? Lift your foot a little off the pedal. Want more? Lift more. Want max? Pull it all the way. Porsche could also easily engineer it so that only a certain kW of regen was available off the pedal, and the rest from the brake pedal, blended as it is now. I mean, they do that with the limited selections they do have for regen now. They would just need to turn the dial up a bit.
Thanks. As you can tell, I never owned a Tesla.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Unlike the i3, you have full control of what the car does.
I had an i3 for several years and have had a Tesla Y for a a year now and honestly, I am very happy with one pedal driving. I've gotten used to feathering the pedal to slow the car down at the rate in which it needs to slow. I have a 30 mile round trip to the office and on most days, I don't use my brake pedal at all.

My daughter has an e-tron which uses the 'two pedal' method for regenerative braking and I have had no problem using her car. I can go back and forth between the one and two pedal pretty easily.

That said, there are some people who like using the brake pedal. Thats fine and as far as I'm concerned, all EVs should offer both: one pedal and two pedal driving. I don't think the hardware in the car would be different since in both cases, the electric motor is used to send power back through the battery charger to recharge the battery. The power from the motor going through the battery charger is what slows the car down. The more power the battery charger can handle, the more powerful the braking of the car at full brake potential. You can always get a little braking (both with one and two pedal driving) by lifting the accelerator pedal (in the case of single pedal driving) or by slightly applying the brake pedal in the two pedal mode.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
No, not at all. On a Tesla, regen is not an all or nothing thing. You want a little? Lift your foot a little off the pedal. Want more? Lift more. Want max? Pull it all the way. Porsche could also easily engineer it so that only a certain kW of regen was available off the pedal, and the rest from the brake pedal, blended as it is now. I mean, they do that with the limited selections they do have for regen now. They would just need to turn the dial up a bit.
Maybe it's doable, but notice even Tesla doesn't bother making the regen consistent by automatically applying friction brakes if the regen is limited, so perhaps it's not trivial, or maybe even there are some major challenges with the approach. With much higher and less consistent max regen capacity (different between the 4S, Turbo, and Turbo S too), getting the driving consistent would be even harder. I think in the end it's an ROI calculation, how many more Taycans would it sell, and will that incremental profit pay for the development and maintenance of a new driving mode.

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
Thought it would be interesting to hear opinions on the Taycan regeneration strategy.

Having been used to driving a Tesla I find that one pedal driving is near enough the ultimate in convenience especially in city traffic. It was the one thing I really missed on my test drive of the Taycan…almost to the point of having an overworked right foot by the amount of times I had to keep shifting it onto the brake pedal then back to the accelerator.

I really hope they reconsider this by at least giving the option (maybe via a software update).

How do others feel on this…
I really like the one pedal driving in my wife's Model Y Performance and was initially disappointed with the Taycan approach. After reading the Porsche press release that explained their reasoning - which essentially is to remain true to the Porsche driving dynamics - I have come to appreciate the philosophy. The explanation that 90% of Taycan brake pedal braking is using regeneration also was encouraging since I have very little brake dust to deal with. I am also impressed with the seamless integration of the friction brakes with regen. Having said all that, it would be nice, however, to have the option for one pedal driving via software update.

Reactions: B61

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
Having experienced both One-Pedal and Slow/Go Pedal arrangements, I prefer Porsche's implementation. One pedal drive feels awkward when trying to drive spirited, especially after having used Manual for many years. Two pedals at least also gives the option to just coast and you can choose to mix slowing down, coast, and accelerating more effectively.

It's also nice to move my foot off the pedal going down hill or not suddenly slow down harshly if I just happen to sneeze 😅

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Having experienced both One-Pedal and Slow/Go Pedal arrangements, I prefer Porsche's implementation. One pedal drive feels awkward when trying to drive spirited, especially after having used Manual for many years. Two pedals at least also gives the option to just coast and you can choose to mix slowing down, coast, and accelerating more effectively.

It's also nice to move my foot off the pedal going down hill or not suddenly slow down harshly if I just happen to sneeze 😅
I agree with the spirited driving. I'm starting to prefer it all driving scenarios.

When coasting with no Regen is remarkable how it goes goes.
Sponsored