Have Porsche got the regen strategy (one pedal driving) right?

Should the Taycan have one pedal driving?

• Total voters

im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Thought it would be interesting to hear opinions on the Taycan regeneration strategy.

Having been used to driving a Tesla I find that one pedal driving is near enough the ultimate in convenience especially in city traffic. It was the one thing I really missed on my test drive of the Taycan…almost to the point of having an overworked right foot by the amount of times I had to keep shifting it onto the brake pedal then back to the accelerator.

I really hope they reconsider this by at least giving the option (maybe via a software update).

How do others feel on this…
Sponsored

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
We need a third choice: both methods implemented correctly are fine. What I mean is most of my EVs have great one pedal driving, some have a blend, and the Taycan does not. Initially I was a little taken aback, but I have now grown to understand the reason why the Taycan does it the way it does, and because it is SO WELL implemented (blended breaking) that I find it perfectly acceptable.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
We need a third choice: both methods implemented correctly are fine. What I mean is most of my EVs have great one pedal driving, some have a blend, and the Taycan does not. Initially I was a little taken aback, but I have now grown to understand the reason why the Taycan does it the way it does, and because it is SO WELL implemented (blended breaking) that I find it perfectly acceptable.
For many moons, I had the pleasure of driving a Cadillac ELR and, say what you will about GM, the kids in Detroit really had their sh!t together with respect to regen. There were basically three options: standard drive mode in which the thing behaved exactly like an ICE vehicle, no regen whatsoever; low drive mode in which strong -- but not aggressive -- regen was applied as you eased off the accelerator; and, in concert with either of the above were a couple discrete paddle "shifters" behind the wheel with which you could aggressively apply regen to bring the vehicle down to 1 MPH. It was not exactly one-pedal driving (more like one peddle, one pinky) but very agreeable and very well suited to different driving conditions (city, highway, etc.). Having said all that, it took me less than 1 minute to get 100% comfortable with the Taycan brake-peddle-applied regen!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
one pedal driving should be an option in vehicle settings - I agree with why porsche doesn’t make it the “only” method - but it should be part of the driving dynamics settings - it has it’s time & place.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Having had and driven a Tesla Model S for 6 years, I thought I'd miss the regen as implemented by Tesla. Now, with the Taycan I can honestly say I think Taycan’s more powerful regen via the brake pedal is both more “natural” and more effective. I don't miss one-pedal driving at all. Porsche regen kicks ass!

OP
OP

im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I guess it’s what your used to, I have no doubt I’ll get used to it once my Taycan arrives but currently I find it such a relaxing drive being able to complete 99% of my journeys with one pedal driving. It becomes a skill knowing how much to ease off the accelerator to allow braking to take effect.

For me I can see why they chose the strategy they did to ease in ICE drivers but see no logical reason why the option cannot be offered.

Anyway, this opinion may well change once I get to drive it day to day…but in my limited time with the car I did not feel pressing the regen button had any effect at all.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Having had and driven a Tesla Model S for 6 years, I thought I'd miss the regen as implemented by Tesla. Now, with the Taycan I can honestly say I think Taycan’s more powerful regen via the brake pedal is both more “natural” and more effective. I don't miss one-pedal driving at all. Porsche regen kicks ass!
In a Tesla, is the brake pedal just for the friction brakes, and max regen is present when the accelerator is released (at a much lower power than max regen available in the Taycan)? I never thought about it before and never drove a Tesla, but that’s what I’m gathering. I just assumed everyone applied regen with the brake pedal like the Taycan.

WES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, Cayman S, BYD EV, Buick Van, Toyota Van
Country flag
I drive in heavy traffic every day. When I get into worse bit, I let the acc and lane assist take over and my foot is off the pedals.

QA4A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4, Taycan (ordered)
Country flag
Interesting that in the Audi Etron GT (which is based on the same platform as the Taycan) they have the option of one-pedal driving with paddles to adjust the strength of regen when lifting off.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Interesting that in the Audi Etron GT (which is based on the same platform as the Taycan) they have the option of one-pedal driving with paddles to adjust the strength of regen when lifting off.
It's not one-pedal with the E-Tron. Those paddles are just a way to adjust the regen like the Taycan.
It's a bit of a deceptive gimmick.

Kryptos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thought it would be interesting to hear opinions on the Taycan regeneration strategy.

Having been used to driving a Tesla I find that one pedal driving is near enough the ultimate in convenience especially in city traffic. It was the one thing I really missed on my test drive of the Taycan…almost to the point of having an overworked right foot by the amount of times I had to keep shifting it onto the brake pedal then back to the accelerator.

I really hope they reconsider this by at least giving the option (maybe via a software update).

How do others feel on this…
I absolutely love my Taycan, but all driving should involve three pedals, not two, let alone one for God's sake...

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
The irony is that is very simple for Porche via software to please everyone customer , just add one setting that includes one pedal driving, they don’t even have to think how to do it, VW electric line ID 3 and 4 has it. One pedal driving is the best for congested cities, specially with a car with not driving assistants include, no everyone lives in a track or in a freeway. I totally respect the drivers who likes old school style driving , but today technology can please everyone, look at the driving styles, sport, normal etc.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I drive in heavy traffic every day. When I get into worse bit, I let the acc and lane assist take over and my foot is off the pedals.
Agreed the acc is a solution however is not standard equipment
Sponsored