Have Porsche got the regen strategy (one pedal driving) right?

Should the Taycan have one pedal driving?

• Total voters

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
That may be true with some people, but my opinion is based on driving a BMW i3 for 3 years which also had heavy regeneration when lifting the accelerator. My objection to one pedal driving isn't philosophical; it does impact my actual driving experience negatively.
i3 had no ability to turn off heavy Regen and this was an issue. One of the many reasons I didn’t like the drive was that in snow I had a RWD car that would engage regen breaking when I lifted my foot. This was a problem in snow/ice and I had to very carefully kept the pedal in near neutral to not slide. Other EVs with heavy regen have other drive modes where they coasted or minimized regen (Leaf, Bolt, I-Pace) but not the I3.

this went beyond preference in my opinion. It was an oversight.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
Taycan is a sports car so they insist on consistency.
Their concept on this aspect is: offering the same amount of braking/decelerating force always. One pedal driving braking force (regen) is vary with the charging level. Higher charge=lower deceleration. This is what Porsche wants to avoid.
According to my opinion it is a good way from the car like this although when I drive a Tesla happy with one pedal driving. On the other hand when driving Taycan I also enjoy the active drive with brake pedal and enjoy consistency.

Last edited:

SLNSTDY

First Name
Alon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
They really should offer a setting for those who transitioned from a Tesla. Really miss that feature. Especially for traffic and driving in canyons.

WilderAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
My point is that if it could be well implemented and offered as a setting that could be disengaged then why would the purchaser object?

Last edited:

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7 | Tesla Model 3 | Taycan 4s (MY21)
Country flag
Having had and driven a Tesla Model S for 6 years, I thought I'd miss the regen as implemented by Tesla. Now, with the Taycan I can honestly say I think Taycan’s more powerful regen via the brake pedal is both more “natural” and more effective. I don't miss one-pedal driving at all. Porsche regen kicks ass!
Similar experience after driving Teslas for the last 8 years. After 6-7 weeks of Taycan I find the auto recuperation to work best for me. Occasionally driving a model 3, I now find it to be too aggressive on the regen but clearly about what your used to.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
They really should offer a setting for those who transitioned from a Tesla. Really miss that feature. Especially for traffic and driving in canyons.
I think the problem may be that such a mode would be less efficient, or less consistent. Tesla regen in up to 60KW, Taycan up to 290KW. Is suspect if they gave people "Tesla one pedal driving" that mode would have to be limited to 60KW, which would result in lower range. They could enable the high regen up to 290KW, but first, it would not be what Tesla drivers are used to, and second, it would not be consistently available as the state of the battery (SoC, temperature, age) will affect it even with less than fully charged. I know how uncomfortable it is driving a fully charged Tesla and expecting the regen to kick in when I lift my foot off, but it doesn't. I imagine with much stronger regen, inconsistencies would be not very fun.

I don't have a Taycan yet, have been driving all Teslas since 2013, use single pedal driving all the time. Test driving a Taycan, regen on brake pedal it didn't bother me at all. I didn't vote here, since my Taycan experience is limited, but I suspect I would vote No.

Random

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, BMW 225Xe, taycan 4S
Country flag
Coming from i3´s one pedal driving I was skeptical about this approach. Now, after a couples of months driving the Taycan, I'm sure Porsche got the perfect trimming; smooth coasting when motorway driving and the right amount of regen when in sport mode for twisty roads. Unlike the i3, you have full control of what the car does.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
This is more of a philosophical issue than a technical one. Porsche defines its vehicles as drivers' cars and their owners largely see themselves as drivers. Whatever gets between the driver and the traditional driving experience is anathema. That being said, Porsche has adopted countless technologies to aid the driver and provide safer, more responsive, and comfortable performance vehicles. With their SUVs (which far outsell saloons in the US) they have also expanded their market to suburban mothers. To a large extent computer technology allows manufacturers to offer all things to all people: near self-driving, comfort modes, sport modes, drift modes, etc. Thus the question is how offering the _option_ for some variation of one-foot driving might impact the brand and sales. Personally, I'd like to have the option especially given where I live, how I use my vehicles, and the belief that it would be well designed and integrated. I suspect that those who object to this option perceive it more as a dilution of brand and self image than something that will impact their actual driving experience.
It's a shame that one pedal driving has gotten a stigma of "not a driver's solution" by many. To me, it's one of the things I like most about my Tesla and one of the things I worry most about missing when I switch (inevitably) to a Taycan. It's very, very precise. Very much driver oriented.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
It's a shame that one pedal driving has gotten a stigma of "not a driver's solution" by many. To me, it's one of the things I like most about my Tesla and one of the things I worry most about missing when I switch (inevitably) to a Taycan. It's very, very precise. Very much driver oriented.
I don’t know. At 290 kW regen power it may be more of a sledgehammer than a precise instrument, no?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I don’t know. At 290 kW regen power it may be more of a sledgehammer than a precise instrument, no?
I don’t think anyone is suggesting to use the full regen (265kW) when the pedal is lifted. I think they just want more than what’s currently available. Or really, just to have it be adjustable.

Although, really, I’m with the guy that said more pedals; not less.

Does anyone know how much regen there is with overrun on (not auto) now?

I was thinking of buying a draggy and doing some testing. I could probably get close just timing it, but I thought the draggy would help make it more precise. But if someone already has the information…

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, not at all. On a Tesla, regen is not an all or nothing thing. You want a little? Lift your foot a little off the pedal. Want more? Lift more. Want max? Pull it all the way. Porsche could also easily engineer it so that only a certain kW of regen was available off the pedal, and the rest from the brake pedal, blended as it is now. I mean, they do that with the limited selections they do have for regen now. They would just need to turn the dial up a bit.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The poll reads to me as "Are you a Tesla refugee?".

I don't think a bunch of folks considering between a Panamera, Cayenne, or Taycan would ever be asking themselves this question.
Very true! (Or maybe an i3. I don't think we likely have too many ex-Leaf owners here).
Sponsored