Have to change OTA module for 2nd time ! Last time two months ago.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Interesting.... I have a similar problem and the dealer was initially asked to replace the module then the ticket was kicked up from Porsche Switzerland to Porsche Germany and then it was kicked all the way back to the vehicle platform engineers....... and there it has been for the last month.......... Most things work except the connection to anything outside the car.... like the app,.... like the computational power for the charging algorithms for a long trip, etc etc, etc............ Pretty sad state of affairs when the manufacturer has no clue what the outsourced software producers have done so there is no understanding of the actual problem at hand..........
So the saga continues..... No info from Porsche or anyone with whom they work.... So I call my dealer again and they now inform me that Porsche has told them that the fix will not be available until August!! and the last time I called them (notice I all ways have to call them....) They said week 8 2021 which is next week... and the time before that it was imminent.... that was in end of December......... Never a straight answer and never information coming forth from Porsche.... This is pushing me to the brink of selling the car that I, in reality love, but there are just too many problems that there seems to be no interest in solving for current customers..... :-(
Sponsored

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I had the same issue on the day I collected my car. They changed my tracker module as it was faulty, it caused the car to be stuck in ‘theft mode’.

now the car is perfect

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
So the saga continues..... No info from Porsche or anyone with whom they work.... So I call my dealer again and they now inform me that Porsche has told them that the fix will not be available until August!! and the last time I called them (notice I all ways have to call them....) They said week 8 2021 which is next week... and the time before that it was imminent.... that was in end of December......... Never a straight answer and never information coming forth from Porsche.... This is pushing me to the brink of selling the car that I, in reality love, but there are just too many problems that there seems to be no interest in solving for current customers..... :-(
I don't think Porsche is to blame here.
As the automotive chip industry has a huge shortage in supply AND the demand for updated OTA-modules is high you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.
I guess this is a worldwide problem, not only for Porsche.
Whole assembly lines are shut down as we speak.
Besides, your Porsche is driveable, isn't it?
It's just a gadget that doesn't work but I can imagining you are frustrated.
Mine is replaced twice but is working flawlessly now so there is hope!

Last edited:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My understanding of the problem with 2020 OTA modules (and that understanding may be flawed) is that the stuck provisioning state issue is fixed/prevented with firmware. Firmware lives in flash that can be updated. So these OTA modules coming out of 2020 cars can be updated to newer firmware - this may only be possible in a lab though vs. in vehicle or at a dealership. The chip supply shortage (and believe me - it's bad) should not prevent Porsche or the unit supplier from being able to update these modules and return them to service. Again, my understanding may be flawed, but it seems there should be a way out of the OTA module mess at least...

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
My understanding of the problem with 2020 OTA modules (and that understanding may be flawed) is that the stuck provisioning state issue is fixed/prevented with firmware. Firmware lives in flash that can be updated. So these OTA modules coming out of 2020 cars can be updated to newer firmware - this may only be possible in a lab though vs. in vehicle or at a dealership. The chip supply shortage (and believe me - it's bad) should not prevent Porsche or the unit supplier from being able to update these modules and return them to service. Again, my understanding may be flawed, but it seems there should be a way out of the OTA module mess at least...
If that would be the case, there wouldn't be a waiting list for OTA-modules.
I understand what you're saying but it's just guessing but it sounds plausible to me.
If it was just a firmware issue there wasn't a waiting list.
To my understanding there are/were server issues too.
I think it's just a combination of all factors.
And Porsche has to build new Taycans with the (new) OTA-modules too...
But then again, it's a fixable issue and that's good news.
Just need patience.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Why would some owners experience the need for a second OTA module replacement (or a third?) if the initial problem was corrected via a firmware upgrade? Not a challenge, just a question from a non-engineer.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Why would some owners experience the need for a second OTA module replacement (or a third?) if the initial problem was corrected via a firmware upgrade? Not a challenge, just a question from a non-engineer.
Because for the 2020 models the replacement is the same as the original one and uses the same bad firmware. Replacing the module does not mean they will install the latest firmware to it because the rest of the car is not ready to use it. The replacement module will still receive the firmware version that is the current for the rest of the 2020 fleet.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Because for the 2020 models the replacement is the same as the original one and uses the same bad firmware. Replacing the module does not mean they will install the latest firmware to it because the rest of the car is not ready to use it. The replacement module will still receive the firmware version that is the current for the rest of the 2020 fleet.
That sounds reasonable but disappointing nevertheless. Do we know of anyone with a MY2021 who had an OTA module replaced, or is this strictly a MY2020 issue?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
How do you know that?
Or is it just your best (educated) guess?
My case:
Original module, no problem, worked fine from day one.
After six months I went to the dealer again for a software update (inverter update etc), I was called.
They also replaced the OTA-module which was an updated version I was told.
After six weeks it stopped working.
Two weeks after that I decided to bring it back and once again, they replaced the OTA-module.
To get it working was kinda hassle I was told.
Also it had something to do with the server.
Porsche uses a (small) part of the Audi server I was told.
A lot of unforseen traffic could cause the communication to pauze or even stop.
Also, the delivery of the new OTA-module took two weeks due to availability...
Anyway, untill now it works flawlessly (two months already, fingers crossed).

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
If and when the OTA module stops working and is corrupt, what exactly does stop working in the car? Apart from the obvious that you can not use ConnectApp? Or any information in My Porsche updates.

Apple carPlay?
Map updates?
Traffic information.
Weather
Online Radio
Navigation information and planning for long road trips?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
If and when the OTA module stops working and is corrupt, what exactly does stop working in the car? Apart from the obvious that you can not use ConnectApp? Or any information in My Porsche updates.

Apple carPlay?
Map updates?
Traffic information.
Weather
Online Radio
I was on the point that it didn't even recognize my Porsche-ID.
So no satellite view, lost settings.
Drove around as a guest in my own car.
So not only the app stopped working, the PVTS too which is indeed a major issue in terms of my insurance.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Apple carPlay?
Map updates?
Traffic information.
Weather
Online Radio
My theory is that there are two cellular modems in the Taycan, one for the PCM and one for telematics (the OTA Control Module) and SOS. The OTA modem is much lower bandwidth and lower power, and only communicates with Porsche servers. When this one goes out you can't log back in with your UserID if you are logged out or your UserID is removed from the account (e.g. because you followed the advice of Porsche Connect Customer Support) - you will get the Username and Password invalid error. Your mileage and state of charge on the Porsche website and Connect app will be stale (many days / weeks out of date). As long as your UserID remains logged into the PCM, Sattelite maps, traffic (possibly map updates but don't know about that one), Weather, online radio and Apple Car Play continue to work.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
My theory is that there are two cellular modems in the Taycan, one for the PCM and one for telematics (the OTA Control Module) and SOS. The OTA modem is much lower bandwidth and lower power, and only communicates with Porsche servers. When this one goes out you can't log back in with your UserID if you are logged out or your UserID is removed from the account (e.g. because you followed the advice of Porsche Connect Customer Support) - you will get the Username and Password invalid error. Your mileage and state of charge on the Porsche website and Connect app will be stale (many days / weeks out of date). As long as your UserID remains logged into the PCM, Sattelite maps, traffic (possibly map updates but don't know about that one), Weather, online radio and Apple Car Play continue to work.
Sounds like my problem then.

I seem to have all of the non telematics services, including map updates and SOS and Google satellite maps.
I have not logged out from the app but hve done so on MyPorsche and managed to log back in. No problems to log in but the information is very stale.

so it would indicate that the OTA module is not working for me.
Disappointing but I seem to be in good company!

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds like my problem then.

I seem to have all of the non telematics services, including map updates and SOS and Google satellite maps.
I have not logged out from the app but hve done so on MyPorsche and managed to log back in. No problems to log in but the information is very stale.

so it would indicate that the OTA module is not working for me.
Disappointing but I seem to be in good company!
I'll trade you my working OTA module for your DB9...

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I had exactly the same issue.
First OTA-module was replaced a few months ago during the fix of my wing.
I had no problems with it though, the connection was fine.
After the OTA-module was replaced by a new one, a few weeks later the connection was lost.
They replaced the OTA-module end of December again and now it works flawlessly.
Even better than the original one which sometimes needed several attempts to send timers to the car.
Fingers crossed...
Same here. On Jan 4 for the first time the OTA module was replaced. Two week later it stopped again. Porsche Amsterdam submitted a ticket to Germany. Long story short OTA module will replaced this week.
Sponsored